Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,410   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, Arlene31H3.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver in May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose
    replied
    Hi darbs,
    Afraid we may have hijacked your thread, slightly. I hope you got something out of the mini reunion anyway. If you are wandering Friday afternoon its only about two miles from the mint to the botanical gardens, about the same to the Tattered Cover book store and about three miles to the zoo. I'm sure you'll find plenty to do and see.
    Hope you have a wonderful time,
    Moose

Leave a comment:

• darbs
    replied
    You guys are awesome! Oh, and I am so glad I could facilitate this reunion of sorts! We are touring the Mint Friday afternoon and I think are going to try to just do whatever we can walk to the rest of that afternoon and evening. I'm thinking we should rent a car Saturday and see some sights, do some hiking, etc. We are both big time foodies so the restaurant suggestions are great. I am so excited about this trip!

Leave a comment:

• Moose
    replied
    They are the Palmer Terrors, fit my daughter well. The south end, Cheyenne Mountain maybe?

I've got a firefighter/EMT bud that was at the top of the peak yesterday. As you might imagine, snow, cold and wicked wind. IIRC it used to be July or later before I couldn't see snow on the peak from town.
    Take care,
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 04-14-2012, 06:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TavaPeak
    replied
    Oh yeah, the topic! The Cog Railway is open all year now - I didn't know that. That one is definitely worth the trip, but take a very warm layer for the top of Pike's Peak (or buy an overpriced sweatshirt). Even in summer it can be quite windy and cold at the top. That would make a wonderful day trip.

Pike's Peak Cog Railway - The world's highest cog railroad, the highest Colorado railroad AND highest train in the United States.

Leave a comment:

• kcarroll55
    replied
    Silly t-birds, I was just joshing. Tavapeak, put your ring back on and wear it proudly. I would - if I could find mine and it still fit, that is. <snort> I had some great friends that went to Wasson (although I really did not remember what the mascot was/is). Ya'll had the district football stadium, but WE had the district swimming pool! So, Moose, what is Palmer's mascot? And my younger sister graduated from whatever school is in the south end of town. Aren't we a cosmopolitan bunch?

Hmmm, maybe we should have a "Tom Bihn" class-type ring. Wouldn't that be fun.

Back on topic - I recommend the zoo and the Will Rogers Shrine. And if enough time - the Pikes Peak Cog Railroad. As to weather, we went up the peak the first full summer I lived there and had a blizzard while we were on top. Memorial Day weekend, I believe it was.
    Last edited by kcarroll55; 04-14-2012, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Moose
    replied
    kcarroll55, Personally I'm a class of cough-cough T-bird. Here's one for you, my daughter is a Palmer grad. Yeah, I know...

Back on topic for a moment, is the Bean Bandit still around? Don't know about today but they used to have the best Mexican food to be found. I ate there, well, let's say a few times.
    Oh, and as AVService mentioned, I second the Broadmoor, my mother used to cook there. Drive up the hill to the Will Rogers Shrine or the zoo. Its a short but pretty drive.
    Take care,
    Moose

Leave a comment:

• TavaPeak
    replied
    Dear kcarroll55,
    Tom Bihn World is all about camaraderie, mindfulness, community, unfettered adventure. Encouraging cross-cultural exchange and world peace through thoughtful gear and diversity in portable culture. So let me put away my class ring and my "Mangle the Marauders" pin, and extend the warm hand of friendship to you. --Ms. Wasson Class of 'XX
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 04-14-2012, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kcarroll55
    replied
    Originally posted by TavaPeak View Post
    Chinook of blessed memory is gone. The owners retired and didn't find suitable successors to take it over. Argh!

Re: Mitchell. I'm so relieved, Moose.
    Oh dear - I graduated Mitchell class of 73. Does that mean I'm not allowed here anymore? Which school are the T-birds from? Surely not Wasson!?!?!?

Sorry to hear Chinook closed. Was a heck of a place.
    Last edited by kcarroll55; 04-14-2012, 12:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TavaPeak
    replied
    Chinook of blessed memory is gone. The owners retired and didn't find suitable successors to take it over. Argh!

Re: Mitchell. I'm so relieved, Moose.

Leave a comment:

• apbailey
    replied
    Everyone is missing my favorite Denver attraction - Red Rocks! It's worth the short drive to see an amazing view of the city and surrounding areas. Also see: Botanic Gardens, walk around Lodo (lower downtown) and Platte River area, drive up to Boulder or just get lost in the foothills.

What kind of food do you like? I have too many favorite restaurants to mention. Top on my list is Linger (great views of downtown), Root Down, TAG (Larimer Square), Fruition (tiny restaurant that has some of the best food in Denver), Biker Jim's Gormet Dogs (cheap yet amazing), Snooze (brunch, be prepared to wait), Steuben's Food Service (50s interior comfort food), ChoLon Modern Asian Bistro (pan Asian)... I eat out too much

Leave a comment:

• Moose
    replied
    Dear Moose, Please tell me you did NOT attend Mitchell High school. Love, Ms. Thunderbird
    Heaven forbid such a tragedy, go Thunderbirds.

As for AVService's Tattered Cover suggestion, absolutley, I completely forgot about it. Next to Chinook (if it still exists) it's the only real book store on the planet.

Take care,
    Moose

Leave a comment:

• AVService
    replied
    Ed, I haven't eaten at the Jerusalem Cafe since I was in grad school! Loved it. Had no idea it was still there. My fave Jewish deli on Colorado Blvd. is gone now, though.
    We are in Denver every Thanksgiving and it is the only place open that night! Last year we walked in and the 5 tables were all filled(a first for us to see) ad they asked if we wanted to sit "Upstairs"? We looked puzzled and said sure so they walked through the Kitchen and up 3 stairs to the sort of covered new deck they put outside,it was FREEZING and windy but the food was great as always.

We spend Thanksgiving morning at the Broadmoor Brunch with relatives from Santa Fe and then drive back to Denver and always end up that night at the J Cafe.

The best Deli I have found is on Hampden at Monaco and I always try to stop there too.

Too much food too little time!

Leave a comment:

• TavaPeak
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose View Post
    I grew up in Colorado Springs. TavaPeak is correct.... Moose
    Dear Moose, Please tell me you did NOT attend Mitchell High school. Love, Ms. Thunderbird

Leave a comment:

• TavaPeak
    replied
    Ed, I haven't eaten at the Jerusalem Cafe since I was in grad school! Loved it. Had no idea it was still there. My fave Jewish deli on Colorado Blvd. is gone now, though.

Leave a comment:

• AVService
    replied
    I love the Denver area and concur with all of the suggestions and have a few more.
    You didn't mention your interests though so it makes it kind of tough to zero in on ideas?

The weather in general is nice but as has been said all of Colorado requires being ready for anything at all times or being sorry about it.

I like the Cherry Creek area if you stay in the Denver area and there is always the Tattered Cover that you can take some time to browse through.
    The Hammonds Candy Company gives tours through the factory and it is pretty interesting really and of course Tasty too.
    The food in Denver is great and there are plenty of little ethnic spots. I especially like the Jerusalem Cafe on Colorado Blvd. and trust me you can not judge that book by its cover.

All throughout the University Park area there are great places to eat and see and LODO is a popular area for good reason too.
    There is nothing like Boulder anywhere I have been and the Springs is very interesting too but both can be very crowded at graduation as has been noted already.

Denver has the 2nd most days of sunshine in the country and the most Parkland of any other city too and there are trails all over the place and decent maps around to get an idea about where to go if that is what you want.

I stay in Cherry Creek and between the shopping,Eating and Walking or Riding it is easy to spend a few days on foot I think.

Have Fun

Ed
    Last edited by AVService; 04-14-2012, 11:55 AM. Reason: Its Hammonds not Enstrom in Denver

Leave a comment:

Working...
X