Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,503   Posts: 187,566   Members: 6,463   Active Members: 327
Welcome to our newest member, chrisjonty.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

18-day trip with Tri-Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PeterB
    replied
    Originally posted by Lani View Post
    We wound up taking our completely packed carry-ons to the post office and using their scale because we didn't have a digital scale and we wanted to be as accurate as possible, down to the ounce.
    That's really great. In this way you would be able to have more accurate measuring which will be very effective. Some scales are not accurate as the shipping scales and at the end when an object weighed on anonymous scale is measured on an shipping scale then there arose a difference between the measuring results which may cause of a difficulty at the time.
    I think digital scales are more accurate and also easy to use. You must pick up a digital one for your weighing needs at home.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    "Raindon". Ha Ha.

Here in London, we seem to have had non-stop rain since about, ooh, August 2008. The Jubilee - rained off. Concerts in Hyde Park - rained off. Wimbledon - would have been rained off but for the fact they put a roof on Centre Court. Oh, and the Olympics start in less than a fortnight. What can possibly go wrong?

Anyway, I hope the OP took the advice vis-a-vis raingear, and didn't get too soggy. And that they enjoyed themselves in what is probably the most exciting and diverse city on the planet (he says with some pride).

*saunters off whistling "Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner" ...*

Leave a comment:

• notmensa
    replied
    @tunesmith - very impressed by the new list. Hope the trip is fantastic! Of course we're all expecting some photos on the forums... :-D

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Originally posted by tunesmith View Post
    So, I packed it all up - it definitely compresses down to below 8" thick now, so I'll be fine with RyanAir. Took it to the post office, and it is 17.76 pounds.

Thanks a ton for the advice, and a half-ton for the berating. ;-) I think we're ready to go!
    Huzzah!!!!!!!!!

I saw how you snuck in that you took it to the post office to get it weighed. I can't tell you how tickled that makes me. It really worked, huh?! Yay!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• tunesmith
    replied
    Okay, I have my revised packing list. It's as above, but with the following changes:

- no gel soles for the keen person mids. The keen soles are actually more comfortable.
    - No book - I'll stick to ebooks only
    - No 2x cotton socks
    - No 2x boxer briefs
    - 1 extra exofficio underwear. I know, that's four total, but they're so light, and I don't want to sleep commando. :-)
    - Columbia sportswear zip off travel pants in place of second pair of jeans
    - No 2x cotton long-sleeve shirts
    - 2 long-sleeve polyesters
    - 2 short-sleeve polyesters, not 3.
    - Yes on the thin fleece, yes on the scottevest q-zip.
    - I dumped the power strip, travel adapters, and apple usb adapters in favor of the lenmar 4-port usb thing with its own adapters.

So, I packed it all up - it definitely compresses down to below 8" thick now, so I'll be fine with RyanAir. Took it to the post office, and it is 17.76 pounds.

Thanks a ton for the advice, and a half-ton for the berating. ;-) I think we're ready to go!

Leave a comment:

• tontobird
    replied
    I recently traveled with my husband for 2 weeks plus to Italy and Germany, similar temps.

Your water bottle, are you referring to a Platypus? I brought one and had no trouble with it.

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Originally posted by notmensa View Post
    @Lani - wow! That packing list just got some serious 'tough love'!
    Hahaha -- is that your way of telling me I was being bossy?!?!?

I will leave you all with two images, then!

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied
    Wow! What a packing list!

I hope you have a great trip! Remember to take lots of pictures .

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by notmensa View Post

(And from experience I can say it's *totally* worth it to stroll straight past baggage claim and out of the airport...)
    I second that!!

Leave a comment:

• notmensa
    replied

(And from experience I can say it's *totally* worth it to stroll straight past baggage claim and out of the airport...)
    Last edited by notmensa; 04-29-2012, 02:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by TavaPeak View Post
    I'm not a super-light packer. But I notice you're going to Raindon, Rainerland, Raingium, and Rainerdam. So I vote yes for a carefully-chosen second pair of shoes (in case first ones get drenched). And for same reason, I wouldn't hesitate to pack a few extra shirts beyond the "threes" in case they don't dry well in humid climates? (Or buy a souvenir tshirt to wear if desperate. ) But maybe May is not so rainy. I just remember how chilled I was in London in August when it rained.

I do agree about replacing 1 pair of jeans with something else. Jeans are heavy, and they aren't washable on the go. If they get wet, you'll be miserable. I like Lani's idea about the long sleeve shirt layered over a poly shirt for the plane.
    How do you think the countryside of those places are able to produce enough cheese diversity that you could eat a different cheese everyday and have plenty of variety left over in dec 31? Cheese make with rich milk = grazer milk producers need rich grass = rich grass is made with lots of rain. Lol!

In northern Europe, some years, it could be cold and rainy in any season. Better to check weather sites everyday from now on.

It should be noted that sometimes, Europe gets extremely hot summers, most of the countries which line the north Atlantic sea have no air conditioning, polyester anything is going to make anybody miserable in those conditions.

The good news is, both men and women can buy an extra layers with not much problem. Check the department store websites of the visited big cities.

A black or brown laced up street shoe like the Bidwell Lace from Keen KEEN Footwear - Mobile

Or a slip on street shoe should get you anywhere very nicely. Forget the gel soles, they could be taken from you at security.

With the iPad no need for maps and guide books.

If you have a world famous brand name pair of jeans you consider getting rid of, wear them during the trip and sell them in Europe. They pay good money for genuine well worn Levi's, over there.

Department stores or shopping districts, pastry shops, restaurants and cafes are there just for the times it starts pouring.
    A great beverage accompanied by a quick snack is going to be quickly burned out by the walking required to get to the places to visit. In very old buildings that are not public, there will be stairs instead of elevators.

Taking the train and city public transport is another way to burn calories.

Reserve your big city museums tickets online to avoid lines.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-28-2012, 01:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    replied
    Hmmm. Yes, rain! I have a lightweight waterproof breathable jacket that i take everywhere (almost- and no, i dont take three of those either). My friend and i have 2 ipads and 2 cameras and i think we could get away with 1 charger if we were efficient about it. Wool is ideal for layering ( that's the knitter speaking). I took 1 wool sweater to iceland last june and a lighter one to spain this time and have been comfy the whole time.

Actually, i think of it as the rule of 3 but it really is - 3 tops-3 bottoms 3 undies and no more than 1 of everything else. My friend would say that does not include maps whoch i lose by the dozens!
    Last edited by jannilee; 04-27-2012, 11:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tunesmith
    replied
    Thanks for all the comments! Yeah, I think I'm definitely going to replace one or both pair of jeans. I was hoping I'd be done with pre-trip shopping but it sounds like it is for the best.

As for the travel adapter strategy, we might be charging three things (two iPhones and an iPad) at the same time, which is why it seemed to make more sense to plug a multi-port power strip into one adapter, rather than buying multiple adapters. The smaller adapter with multiple usb ports sounds good though... I see one by Lenmark that might work well, wonder if I have time to receive it before I leave...

By the way, the ScottEVest is a Q-Zip, not a micro fleece, so I might still bring the fleece and bring the SeV in place of another long sleeve polyester or something.

Leave a comment:

• TavaPeak
    replied
    I'm not a super-light packer. But I notice you're going to Raindon, Rainerland, Raingium, and Rainerdam. So I vote yes for a carefully-chosen second pair of shoes (in case first ones get drenched). And for same reason, I wouldn't hesitate to pack a few extra shirts beyond the "threes" in case they don't dry well in humid climates? (Or buy a souvenir tshirt to wear if desperate. ) But maybe May is not so rainy. I just remember how chilled I was in London in August when it rained.

I do agree about replacing 1 pair of jeans with something else. Jeans are heavy, and they aren't washable on the go. If they get wet, you'll be miserable. I like Lani's idea about the long sleeve shirt layered over a poly shirt for the plane.
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 04-27-2012, 01:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Originally posted by jannilee View Post
    I follow the rule of 3 and never take more than 3 of anything.
    Oh, that's a good rule!

Let's see... three hair brushes, three toothbrushes.... NOT. Hehehe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X