Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,823   Posts: 191,279   Members: 6,721   Active Members: 266
Welcome to our newest member, willydgil.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for tips for sleeping on a plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sujo
    replied
    Originally posted by dwright17 View Post
    Thanks so much for the link, @flitcraft, and SO very sorry about the footrest! I just hate it when that happens!! I'm 5'0" also and am seriously thinking about investing in one.
    At 4'11", I never travel without my footrest. I bought it for a trip to the Netherlands several years ago and now I take it with me for any flight, regardless of length. I use the Back Relax folding footrest. It's about the size of a paperback and fits nicely in a Snake Charmer! I even use it for meetings at work, as I can never adjust the chair well enough to reach the table and touch the floor. I always had to choose table and my feet dangled. Not anymore!

Leave a comment:

• casun
    replied
    i've tried foam earplugs and etymotics but i've found that the best, most comfortable are mack's silicone Buy Pillow Soft White 6 pair, Best Earplugs for Sleeping, Loud Noises and Swimming | Macks Earplugs.

Leave a comment:

• CallaVandy
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffmac View Post
    I have one of these and it works surprisingly well

HOME » The Travel Halo

Having the eyemask integrated is a nice touch and it does not take up a lot of room in a bag.
    The greatest problem I have to bear is that my head fell either right or towards left, which not only cause pain in my neck but also disturb my sleep. I have just viewed video of awesome travel pillow; it works great. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• daisy
    replied
    Not sure I could cope with the ihug

Might send me into screaming claustrophobia.

Leave a comment:

• dwright17
    replied
    LOL! Ok, good to know!

Leave a comment:

• jeffmac
    replied
    Doesn't really help the downward droop, just the left/right, "oops, I drooled on my neighbor" droop.

Leave a comment:

• dwright17
    replied
    Hi jeffmac! I haven't seen this one before. I wonder if it would work for a shorty like me. Most of my trouble is that the headrest pokes in near the top of my head, bending it forward. I honestly feel like I need to slump in the seat or sit on something to avoid that! Does it really prevent your head from drooping downward as well?

Leave a comment:

• jeffmac
    replied
    I have one of these and it works surprisingly well

HOME » The Travel Halo

Having the eyemask integrated is a nice touch and it does not take up a lot of room in a bag.

Leave a comment:

• dwright17
    replied
    Thanks so much for the link, @flitcraft, and SO very sorry about the footrest! I just hate it when that happens!! I'm 5'0" also and am seriously thinking about investing in one.

Leave a comment:

• flitcraft
    replied
    Not the same pillow, @dwright17, the one I got is here: http://www.go-travelproducts.com/tra...lumbar-support

It's padded to start with, but has less 'blow-up' room than the one you linked to.

I also tried their blow-up footrest--as I really do need one, at 5 foot 1 with a gimpy ankle to boot. But I accidentally left it on the first flight I used it on, which was the short leg of a long haul flight. So, no review... :-(

Leave a comment:

• dwright17
    replied
    @flitcraft, is this the oblong pillow you were referring to? Inflatable 3-Way Carry Cushion | Going In Style Travel Accessories I checked out the Embrace collar and am not sure I wouldn't go nuts with the collar since I'm not a big turtleneck fan. Rats! Somewhere out there is the perfect travel pillow, I'm sure of it . . .

Leave a comment:

• snowbot
    replied
    Thanks for the Embrace Sleep Collar recommendation, flitcraft. I just ordered one for a trip starting next week. I'll post comments when I get back home.

Leave a comment:

• flitcraft
    replied
    I've personally never liked the U shaped neck pillows, and I've tried the foam ones, the blow-up ones, and the ones stuffed with buckwheat or whatever it is. They don't stop my head from dropping forward, which wakes me up just as I'm drifting off.

I bought a wedge shaped blow-up pillow that is supposed to go on your tray table and you lean into it. That worked better, but it's really bulky and blocks access to the aisle, so I found it only worked if I had a window seat; even then, I had to squish the air out before getting out of my seat to access the bathroom.

In the end, I bought a travel collar called Embrace Sleep Collar--it's basically similar to the drug store cervical collars but a bit better adapted to travel. It's made of fairly stiff foam with a nice curve under the chin for comfort. But it's not as bulky as a cervical collar, and it connects in the back with fabric rather than foam all around, so it doesn't get as hot. The fabric fastens with Velcro. It's far more compact than anything other than the blowup models, and the fabric-Velcro closure lets you fasten it to a luggage handle, which Tom Bihn bags are richly supplied with. Or, sometimes I strap it to my upper arm over my jacket and it looks a bit like an orthopedic brace, then take it off once I'm settled in my seat. Or, if there's room in my Imago, I just tuck it on top of everything else and loosen the front buckle a tad.

Another comfort item--Go makes an oblong inflatable travel pillow with a nice handwashable velour top so it doesn't get sweaty. It comes with a fair amount of foam padding already, and then you can blow it up to a firmer amount. Often I don't bother--the padding is enough. I use it behind my back as a lumbar support or under the tush to relieve economy seat numbness there. Did I mention it fits easily into the magazine/folder compartment in my Imago? It also provides an additional layer of protection for computers, tablets, and Kindles that crawl into my Imago on travel days.

Leave a comment:

• TOBaggirl
    replied
    I use Benadryl as my "sleeping pill" of choice. Knocks me right out, and clears my sinuses too. :-) And to the point of flying with the "courtesy bag" at the ready. That's why you don't put any bags you care about under your seat. I hide it between my legs and throw my huge scarf over it so the miserable stewardess don't see it. People puke down there. There's no way I'm putting anything I care about down there too.

Leave a comment:

• snowbot
    replied
    I just returned from a 2-week vacation that involved 4 flights of 9 or more hours. At the beginning of the first flight, I noticed that my inflatable travel pillow wouldn't stay inflated. I later determined that the plastic had degraded to the point that the seams were coming undone and there were multiple holes. *sigh*

On another note, if you have the aisle seat and decide to take a sleeping pill, please consider switching seats with your interior neighbor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X