Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,321   Members: 6,701   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, StatsChick.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

United crew carrying bags that exceed their sizing bin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

United crew carrying bags that exceed their sizing bin!

What's up with that?

whatever happened to leading by example?

The roll aboard suitcase in question has this compartment on the backside that unzips and expands - it's like this little bulge on the backside. it would not fit in the United sizer!

Noticed it in front of me as we were going up the escalator - we had a nice laugh about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -m

By the way, IAD is a zoo this morning - as are other airports, I imagine! Makes you appreciate TSA-Pre!

-m

Comment

United is one of my least favorite airlines, but sometimes they are the only option. Perversely, I just renewed my United Explorer card for another year because they offered me a credit greater than the cost of the card's annual fee when I called to cancel.

I don't really care about their bag size restrictions (actually, I wish they'd enforce them more consistently), but their planes seem cramped to me, and there don't seem to be snacks or inflight entertainment like JetBlue offers. The card offers Priority Boarding and makes the experience a tiny bit more bearable.
      ----
      All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
      Edmund Burke

Comment

I have the United Explorer card as well. IAD is a United hub, so it is a convenient choice here in DC.

I appreciate the priority boarding, and have made use of the free checked bag benefit recently (carrying an object that resembles a club).

I have been able to get a few free tickets from United (including tickets to India with flights operated by Lufthansa), which is also nice. It was great that the change fee when I needed to come back early from India was only $50.

It isn't as easy to get free International tickets as it once was. But I'm still able to get domestic mileage tickets.

-m

Comment

As you know, the flight crew lives and works in a world where they can set their own limits. Flight crew members I have had occasion to speak with tell me they take what they want/need/can easily manage as they move from one flight to the next. (Admittedly, I have had little contact with United folk). If you have ever perused shopping sites for flight crew bags, there are bags which are 24, 26 and 28 inches - all of which I have seen on aircraft. the biggest issue seems to be finding a bag that will fit well in the overhead bin of a 737 - apparently they are sized differently from other aircraft. in any event, it's raining again and the wind is picking up here in SE NC.

Comment

<< in any event, it's raining again and the wind is picking up here in SE NC. >>

@rabergnc -- stay safe! is arthur supposed to pay you a visit (ie, landfall)?

Comment

Thanks for the kind thoughts. The storm is supposed to pass east of us - just a bunch of rain and some wind (30-40 mph- basically tropical storm conditions) forecast for now - although things can change. One thing you learn living here is to be ready for most anything during hurricane season.

Comment

I'm in NJ, so I know the "be ready for a hurricane thing" well. But you see more action down there...

Comment

It looks like United is now asking people to confirm they understand the carry-on limitations when they check in online:

Click image for larger version

Name:	United Check In.png
Views:	1
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	292357
                  Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

I flew United last week, and I can't say they enforced anything except for one woman who was carrying 3 bags on board. And I did notice that most crew members had 3 bags, one of them too large for the bins the rest of us are supposed to use. I often seem to get seated in the row where the crew has stashed their luggage, too. So, yes, would be nice if they were held to the same standards.

I was happy on my regional jet where all wheeled bags were being gate checked. My TriStar went unnoticed and into the overhead with no problems (although I had to remove the water bottle). And <ahem>, it may have been slightly over 9" wide. I do need some work on light packing, but I've improved a lot since my checked bag days!

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post
                      I have been able to get a few free tickets from United (including tickets to India with flights operated by Lufthansa), which is also nice. It was great that the change fee when I needed to come back early from India was only $50.
                      Yes, I did fly 'free' to Hungary a few years ago on a United ticket, back when I was doing enough business trips to earn points quickly, which actually put me on Swiss and Lufthansa flights. That was pretty nice! However, having the UE card for one year did give me a free domestic flight, so combined with the fact that I am not paying a fee two years in a row, I'd say that's worth it. I had considered using the free-checked-bag privilege to check a suitcase with nothing but my pocketknife inside, but thought better of it.
                      ----
                      All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                      Edmund Burke

Comment

I can't speak for other flight crew, but I try to limit myself to two bags, my rollaboard and either a food bag (domestic) or a shoulder tote (international). Many of my colleagues are commuters, meaning they do not live in the city where they are based for their flying and can be away from home for days or weeks at time in order to have larger continuous blocks of days off at home, wherever home may be. As such, they may seem to have a lot in tow on what seems like a short flight to the passengers on a flight, but the reality is that flying as crew is not always as glamorous as it may seem. We pack for all seasons, as we can be rerouted if operationally needed or in case of weather to places and climates that weren't in our original trip assignment. And for those of us on multi-day trips, we pack enough for contingencies. While we regret that our bags take up overhead bin space on some aircraft, the reality is that the airlines aren't making provision for crew bag space on all aircraft, and we can't check our bags as certain things we carry must always be quickly accessible when needed. Even when there is a closet, there are placarded weight restrictions that we have to adhere to, because if an FAA inspector comes on board and discovers violations, we are individually fined (as opposed to the airline).

When we travel on our own time, we do get subjected to the same rules as everyone else, but when working, it's an unfair expectation.

Comment

Working...
                        X