Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,200   Members: 6,711   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, Rangerjo.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crazy EuroTrip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pokilani
    replied
    Originally posted by bltkmt View Post
    Thanks all - we had a WONDERFUL trip! We took almost 700 pix, but it was hard to find one with a TB product displayed (below, with Nordic SE on my lap). We both used SE's daily and I carried my Nordic S25 and Nordic wallet often. I used a DOP often to hold passport and currency. Lots of other pouches/cubes used for important tasks as well. Highlights of trip included:
    • Vespa tour in Tuscany (Chianti) that included wine tour and lunch (I am a scooter nerd).
    • Pizza/gelato making class in Florence
    • Slept late and missed (paid for) bus tour to Siena...instead, figured out trains and did our own trip and had fun

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8680[/ATTACH]
    Love how happy and relaxed you two look in this picture.

Leave a comment:

• bltkmt
    replied
    Thanks all - we had a WONDERFUL trip! We took almost 700 pix, but it was hard to find one with a TB product displayed (below, with Nordic SE on my lap). We both used SE's daily and I carried my Nordic S25 and Nordic wallet often. I used a DOP often to hold passport and currency. Lots of other pouches/cubes used for important tasks as well. Highlights of trip included:
    • Vespa tour in Tuscany (Chianti) that included wine tour and lunch (I am a scooter nerd).
    • Pizza/gelato making class in Florence
    • Slept late and missed (paid for) bus tour to Siena...instead, figured out trains and did our own trip and had fun

Click image for larger version

Name:	Italy2014184.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	293447

Leave a comment:

• Alexa
    replied
    I love Venice, we were there last year at the start of November and were lucky as it was beautiful weather, warm enough for no jackets. Still quite crowded though in the main areas. We took a water taxi, lots cheaper than a gondola and you feel like James Bond
    Cambridge to Edinburgh is quite a trip, you're looking at a good 6 hour train journey.

Leave a comment:

• jeffmac
    replied
    Very cool. We are leaving for Venice tonight (and Florence/Tuscany)!
    These guys made my day tons simpler. We stayed on the little island south and had a late flight out so I brought our bags to the main island and stored it.

http://veniceluggagedeposit.com

Leave a comment:

• scribe
    replied
    Venice - if you're not hugely into art, the Secret Itinerary tour takes you behind the scenes at the Doge's Palace, including a visit to Casanova's cell in the "attic" floor: Palazzo Ducale | Secret Itineraries Tour

In Cambridge...hmm, one tends to take one's home city for granted. Don't miss the Corpus Clock, though! For an unusual kind of museum, how about the Scott Polar Research Institute? As for restaurants, what kind of food do you like? Cambridge is very cosmopolitan, so you can find everything from gourmet British pub grub to food from around the globe. For the former, try The Cambridge Brew House in King Street.

Also, rain is quite likely in both cities - there was a thunderstorm on our last day in Venice in October 2011 - so bring rainproofs or compact umbrellas!

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Man, Italy in early fall. Sounds splendid. @bltkmt, when you get to Venice see if there are any concerts in the Frari. They're free and the church has great acoustics. It can get chilly so bring a sweater though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Rocks
    replied
    sigh. Venice is my favorite place in the world! Give it Rocks's love.

Leave a comment:

• bltkmt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jeffmac
    replied
    Thought I would share this. I am not a photographer but Venice looks like a post card.

And I cant get it to scale from the phone. Apologies for the size.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jeffmac; 09-18-2014, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Make sure you have travel insurance for the trip because Iceland just had a fairly serious earthquake which caused a lava flow eruption, it looks like Hawaii.

But, you might remember that in 2010, their big volcano with the big name Eyjafjallajökull to sputtered enough ash to stop European air traffic.

So, your best bet is to use high speed trains as much as possible within Europe.
    Given the possibility of airport delays, they are faster than planes.

Check night trains which combine one night of travel with sleep, instead of the dreaded: come back early enough to the hotel to pack TB bag, check the weather, possible airport delay, airport suggested arrival time, shuttle schedule, breakfast serving time and location...

Instead of checking out, have a stroll and tea time on the town, get to the station, settle in the cabin, have dinner on the train while eating miles/kilometer and fall asleep with a guide book, the FJN (travel journal and sketch book), skyping or... homework.

It might not be possible if you have a full conference/trade show schedule and still want to do sightseeing.

Leave a comment:

• Frank II
    replied
    When flying back to London for Cambridge, try to get a flight to Stansted Airport as its closer to Cambridge than the others. Only a half hour by train to Cambridge with no changes.

Leave a comment:

• Hawaii
    replied
    while in cambridge, if possible go to evensong service in Kings College chapel.

Leave a comment:

• jeffmac
    replied
    Train between Amsterdam and Hannover, plane to Venice...probably a plane for the rest of it.

Leave a comment:

• jeffmac
    replied
    Thanks itsablur, my daughter is 16 so physical capabilities are not an issue.

However, she might roll her eyes hard enough to capsize a gondola!

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    So Hannover means romantic time, lets see if Ilykway and others familiar with Germany have a tip for nice stuff to do for couples.

It seems that there is plenty to see: gardens, markets, beautiful architecture and museums.

Are you taking the train in between cities or flying?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X