Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,200   Members: 6,712   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, toomuchlove.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Canada?

Has anyone ever flown Air Canada overseas? I will go Boston to Rio next spring, hopefully using points, and they are one of United's partners (where I have my points). I'm thinking they might be a better choice than United or American in terms of service. The comparison is for economy seats. I don't think there are any really good choices for this route, on my budget, so I'm looking for the least annoying option. :;
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

I've flown them plenty between the U.S. and Canada and find them to be among the cleanest, most on time of airlines. I also love the in flight entertainment available in full and for free for all passengers (who bring their own headphones)...even on flights of an hour and a half. I have been on all different sizes of their planes...3x3, 2x2, 2x1

Have never flown them long haul, though...But I certainly would if they went where I needed to go

Comment

I've been flying overseas with Air Canada for many years, although to Europe (I've never flown to Rio with them), and they've always been quite reliable. Economy class is not exactly luxurious, but it's about the same as many other airlines. Each seat has a video monitor and some with USB or AC power, the meals aren't too bad (at least, for airline food) and the flight attendants that I've encountered have all been cheerful and efficient.

One important caveat to mention though. They're now operating a budget carrier called Air Canada Rouge on some international routes, and from what I've been hearing from passengers that have flown with them is that the service on that carrier has been dreadful so far. One person I spoke with in September described it as "the worst flight I've ever taken in my life". Some of the complaints are very thin seats, narrow seat pitch, crap food and absolutely NO entertainment unless you rent an iPad from them. The cost for the iPad may only be $10, but just the principle of having to do that annoys me. Those that already have an iPad don't have to worry.

I've been spending some time recently checking the airline reviews at Airline Passenger Reviews | SKYTRAX, and you may find it helpful to have a look at some of the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Duster View Post
        One important caveat to mention though. They're now operating a budget carrier called Air Canada Rouge on some international routes, and from what I've been hearing from passengers that have flown with them is that the service on that carrier has been dreadful so far. One person I spoke with in September described it as "the worst flight I've ever taken in my life".
        Thank you, @Duster and @Kmk, for the feedback. @Duster, I have read about the Air Canada Rouge service, and that worries me. I'm wondering if there is any way to know more sure that the route I chose is one or the other. In one article I found, earlier this year some passengers who booked an Air Canada flight were switched when that route was turned into Air Canada Rouge.
        ----
        All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
        Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
          Thank you, @Duster and @Kmk, for the feedback. @Duster, I have read about the Air Canada Rouge service, and that worries me. I'm wondering if there is any way to know more sure that the route I chose is one or the other. In one article I found, earlier this year some passengers who booked an Air Canada flight were switched when that route was turned into Air Canada Rouge.
          The airline websites should state whether the flight will be operated by Air Canada or AC Rouge. I was checking flights from Vancouver to Honolulu recently, and the website clearly indicated that only Rouge is used on that route. As soon as I saw that, I started researching other airlines for flights on that route. Unfortunately, WestJet doesn't appear to be a good option either, as their customer reviews have been dismal lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Duster View Post
            The airline websites should state whether the flight will be operated by Air Canada or AC Rouge. I was checking flights from Vancouver to Honolulu recently, and the website clearly indicated that only Rouge is used on that route. As soon as I saw that, I started researching other airlines for flights on that route. Unfortunately, WestJet doesn't appear to be a good option either, as their customer reviews have been dismal lately.
            Thanks!
            I decided to take the plunge and started to get the Air Canada tickets (I was using my United miles, and they are a partner airline). On the last screen, I discovered that I would not be able to choose my seats until check-in, probably because I was not buying direct from them. This killed the deal for me. I decided to save my United miles for another trip at a later date, and purchased tickets on TAM instead. It's a much better itinerary anyway, although as stated in another thread, they have a very restrictive carry-on limit. Still, I won't have to sit in a middle seat for 10 hours
            ----
            Edmund Burke

Comment

It's too bad it didnt work out for you since AC carry on policy is one of the most generous out there. My husband worked for AC for 37 years so we end up traveling mostly on them and often to Brazil since that's where my family lives. I've never flown TAM internationally but they are ok domestically.

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
              Thanks!
              I decided to take the plunge and started to get the Air Canada tickets (I was using my United miles, and they are a partner airline). On the last screen, I discovered that I would not be able to choose my seats until check-in, probably because I was not buying direct from them. This killed the deal for me. I decided to save my United miles for another trip at a later date, and purchased tickets on TAM instead. It's a much better itinerary anyway, although as stated in another thread, they have a very restrictive carry-on limit. Still, I won't have to sit in a middle seat for 10 hours

Comment

Working...
              X