Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,185   Members: 6,708   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, drkrokr.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taipei in late April/early May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taipei in late April/early May

I'll be going to Taipei in late April/early May for a school field trip. We don't have anything going on after 5pm every day, so I'm wondering if people have recommendations for things to do in the evening. I don't drink, so bars are out, but will try anything else. I also love eating and would like to have some good bubble tea ('boba') and smelly tofu I speak Chinese, so the language part is OK.

I'll be staying at a place called 'Just Sleep' at NTU, so if anyone has opinions on what's good or bad about that hotel, I'd greatly appreciate that too. (Yeah, have been checking Trip Advisor... but I just want to be prepared!)

Originally posted by adalangdon View Post
    I'll be going to Taipei in late April/early May for a school field trip. We don't have anything going on after 5pm every day, so I'm wondering if people have recommendations for things to do in the evening. I don't drink, so bars are out, but will try anything else. I also love eating and would like to have some good bubble tea ('boba') and smelly tofu I speak Chinese, so the language part is OK.

I'll be staying at a place called 'Just Sleep' at NTU, so if anyone has opinions on what's good or bad about that hotel, I'd greatly appreciate that too. (Yeah, have been checking Trip Advisor... but I just want to be prepared!)
    @adalangdon, Many people would tell you that Din Tai Fung is a must go to stop in Taipei, since the original restaurant is located there. I know they have branches in Singapore. I have to say that I didn't think the one in Los Angeles was as good as the original restaurant.

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
      @adalangdon, Many people would tell you that Din Tai Fung is a must go to stop in Taipei, since the original restaurant is located there. I know they have branches in Singapore. I have to say that I didn't think the one in Los Angeles was as good as the original restaurant.

moriond
      Cool! Yeah, I tried the main outlet when it first opened here and while it was quite nice, I could not fathom the crazy wait for a table.
      Last edited by adalangdon; 02-14-2015, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Hello @adalangdon,

Great to hear that you visiting Taiwan, or Taipei specifically.
        I love Taiwan. Mainly because of its people's norm towards politeness. Like the Japanese.
        I much more prefer Hualien than Taipei. Hualien is a quiet city, filled with natural wonders on the Taiwan's East Coast, a 2-3 hours train ride from Taipei. It is really a place to rewind from all those daily routines, taking bicycle ride across the coastline, watching sunset, trail hike and even, it has super delicious "wanton". Hualien is a famous weekend getaway for Taipei City dwellers, away from the City lifestyle so it is recommended to travel to Hualien during the weekdays

But for your case, it is not advisable due to the distant and time travel.
        I am not so into Taipei but I suggest Yong Kang Street or some famous Night Market (which you easily google). Personally, I prefer Yong Kang Street because it simply isn't that complicated compare to crowded Night Market. Also, Yong Kang Street have plenty famous eateries like Din Tai Fung, snowflake Smoothie House and also Taiwan Pancake (I think that's the name, macam like Roti Prata). In this street, you could have food options, ranging from $ to $$$ - a great variety. There was one time, there was even a garden concert. The evening atmosphere even more splendid.

Hope you enjoy there.

NOTE: Taiwan Pancake is a name of a food category, not the stall name. At Yong Kang Street, there is a street-food stall that sell something like Roti Prata or Thin Foldover, which I called it Taiwan Pancake. Please do correct me, if you know the exact name.
        Last edited by weirdguy; 02-15-2015, 12:05 AM.
        Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
        Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
        Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
        Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

Working...
        X