Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,239   Members: 6,598   Active Members: 269
Welcome to our newest member, ellemef.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine in June. Weather and quietest area next to whale watching.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maine in June. Weather and quietest area next to whale watching.

Should I bring long pants and only long pants because of mosquitoes?
    Speaking of the buzzing pests, tips on repellants, which kind come in 20z bottles?
    Are they less of a bother near the coast?

What is the typical June weather?

It will help plan the wardrobe thus the packing list further.

Is it possible to find nice places to stay not too far from the main airports, close to whale watching with public transports?

Any recommendations on the above, good eats and whale watch tour.

I forgot independent bookstores and yarn shops.

Is it possible to find vacancies if one decides to do an impromptu road trip, for example, to Vermont and nearby Canadian provinces or is it sardines times in summer?

I was in Maine last June and it was chilly! Not summer weather yet, in the 45 to 65 degree range. I stayed in Portland. There were no mosquitos yet. Inland might have a few, though.

Yes bring long pants. I had to buy a pair because I didn't have any. Also, it rained, and all the clothes I had got soaked at some point.

I did a great Portland harbor tour, it was 1 1/2 hours long and I learned a lot. You can also take a ferry to various islands in Portland, Peaks being a pretty one with a charming neighborhood and great walks.

For whale watching, you can leave from Portland, but you have to go pretty far out, and the cruise lasts 4 hours. There's also some cool looking sailing boat + wine harbor tour.

Comment

Weather is going to depend a lot on where you are, and its localized. Once at Acadia National Park, one side of Mount Dessert Island was cold-for-summer (high 50s) and rainy, the other side was sunny and comfortable (70s). This was a distance of maybe 10 miles between.

There's not much for public transportation. As far as I know, there's just bus service within Portland, or within shopping towns or tourist areas. Portland is getting quite well known for its fine restaurants, and there are some operators of whale watching there. There's also an airport.
      Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Comment

If you can go to Boothbay Harbor, it's nice (and about an hour from LLBean.) Along the coast IS cool, but that's what I like. I miss the trips to Mt. Desert Island/camping in Acadia!

Comment

Maine weather in the summer can be cool (I once froze while visiting my MIL in Portland in July), so definitely check the forecast and pack things that can be layered.

Bookstores in Portland:

Longfellow Books | a fiercely independent community bookstore.

Carlson Turner Books: Search Used, Out-of-Print and Rare Books Online

For seafood, Boone's Fish House in Old Port, Portland, is worth a visit: Seafood Restaurant & Oyster Bar in Portland, Maine | Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

@backpack, I'm heading to Maine this summer too! A little later in the season though - first week of August. I hope it's not hijacking your thread if I ask if it gets a bit warmer by August... (if so, feel free to tell me to buzz off Will be spending one night in Portland, then a week in Bar Harbor - not sure if this is just because my mom is a bit overzealous/type-A and it's a family vacation with 7 people, but we had to book the place way in advance, so I think it might be hard to find a place to stay very close to Acadia National Park, but Bangor is probably sufficiently close if you do want to visit the park. Looking forward to seeing what people recommend!

Comment

Ellsworth is the closest town off the island. And I have been to Acadia in august. It's pleasant (ocean breeze). Shorts are fine by day, and pants are ok at night if you are outside.

Comment

You shouldn't have too much of a problem with bugs in June, especially at the coast. It will be cool at night; daytime temps will vary. If you end up in Portland, try a lemon apricot chevre truffle or salt caramel at Dean's Sweets. I'm very fond of the chocolate and the owners both. Unfortunately, I've had to satisfy my chocolate cravings via mail order in recent years. Too many other places to visit!

I'm especially fond of the area around Rockland and Deer Isle. There were quite a few indie bookstores and yarn stores in that area - seems like every small coastal town has one or the other. And there are lots of small towns. Almost every place is walkable, but you'll really need a car to get between towns. I was last there during leaf season and between camping and small cottages/motels, we never had trouble finding a place a day or two ahead of time. Except for Acadia - we had to book our campsites well in advance and it was more crowded than I would have liked. I've never been on a whale watching trip, but if you like boats, see about catching a mail boat - they travel between the islands for the benefit of residents, but tourists are welcome to do the round trip. No frills, but inexpensive and a nice way to see the coastline. I've never been very far inland, though I had great fun on a Kennebec river trip about a million years ago.

Comment

Backpack, where will you be in Maine? We have more seasons here than most places. Right now is mud season. In a few weeks the roads will no longer be posted and it'll be bug season. Latter in the summer the bugs will diminish, especially if you are right on the coast. Long pants are really your best bet.
                  Moose
                  List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Comment

I am worried about bugs first and foremost, I am a magnet to them.
                    So, every anti-mosquito tip, everyone has, is welcomed.

Second, I would like to find whale watching tours which use big boats, not zodiac.
                    I wonder, if visitors and, of course, Mainers have recommendations.

Third, it would be great if the town we stay in is kind of Monterey, CA but in the east, and we can build an east coast whale watching tradition.

Fourth, I think a B&B would be good, so it is different, it would be best if they had cottages or ground floor rooms.

ClaireJ, please, share anything you have learned about this beautiful state.
                    Beside the weather, most of everything should be the same, unless Maine becomes part of Quebec or France and more French is spoken than English which would be the reverse of now. (Being French born, I am very exited to find out about this, new to me, region).

Please chime in as much as possible. I find my fellow Bihnthusiasts to be the most knowledgeable in many topics.
                    Last edited by backpack; 04-24-2015, 02:11 PM.

Comment

My favorite mosquito repellent: rose geranium hydrosol. Not as effective as DEET, but it smells a whole lot better and is good for your skin. I wouldn't use this in a jungle, but it would be fine for the Maine coast where the bugs aren't so bad.
                      Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Comment

Are you a beer drinker? There is a ton of great beer being made in Maine. I can offer some general recommendations and also point you to a writer who has covered the scene there for a while.

Comment

I forget that not everyone is fortunate to be "bug neutral" like I am. I've heard that has something to do with genetics. And I do get bitten - just not as badly as some do. I'm sorry you're a magnet.

Comment

I am most certainly a bug magnet. For sure, wear light clothes, no scented shampoo/deodorants etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jujigatame View Post
                              Are you a beer drinker? There is a ton of great beer being made in Maine. I can offer some general recommendations and also point you to a writer who has covered the scene there for a while.
                              I can't drink alcohol but if there are places to eat, casual is best, that offer signature brews, I would love to learn about them for my other half.

Food suggestion are always welcomed!

And so are places to stay.

Comment

Working...
                              X