Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,182   Members: 6,708   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, drkrokr.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine in June. Weather and quietest area next to whale watching.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last summer, 6 of us rented a giant house in South Bristol, right on the water, and it was quite pleasant during the day (70's), with cooler temps at night. The key is layers! We also did a whale watch out of Boothbay Harbor - Cap'N Fish's - and it was on a much bigger boat. It was nice!

And if it's lobster you're looking for, try the roadside places for lobster rolls. I think we stopped at every single one we saw!
    Eat well, travel often.

Comment

Originally posted by nukediver View Post
      Last summer, 6 of us rented a giant house in South Bristol, right on the water, and it was quite pleasant during the day (70's), with cooler temps at night. The key is layers! We also did a whale watch out of Boothbay Harbor - Cap'N Fish's - and it was on a much bigger boat. It was nice!

And if it's lobster you're looking for, try the roadside places for lobster rolls. I think we stopped at every single one we saw!
      Nukediver, please tell me more!

Was the water hot enough to swim? Well... probably not in June.

What kind of whales did you see?

Are there any bike rentals?

Comment

I can say something about swimming. We used to camp in Acadia, a couple hours up from Boothbay Harbor. Acadia has a beautiful beach, Sand Beach. When we were kids we'd go there to play/swim. Family lore (beautiful and I remember) says I was the 1st one in and the last one out. What the lore doesn't say is I was just being stubborn. It was COLD. But I needed to be "better" than my siblings (I really already am, tho! ). The water is COLD but if you swim, make sure it's a sunny day. We always went in August, btw.

Comment

I went on a whale watch from Bar Harbor and nearly everyone on the boat was puking their guts out. *insert green pukey face here* It was so bad the crew had to hose off the deck. So, maybe bring a garbage bag to wear because if there's a breeze (provided by speeding whale boat) and somebody is sick it could blow onto you. I saw it happen ... guy barfed into the wind and decorated his shirt with what looked like regurgitated dog chow. Think about what footwear you want to take .. .. just in case.

I took Dramamine. I did not get sick even with the visuals and sound effects going on around me.

It's cold out on the open water. Bring an insulating layer and a windbreaker. Maybe a hat too. I was cold until we got closer to shore.

This happened over 10 yrs ago and thinking about it still makes me laugh HARD. *I had to take a break from this post just to ROFLMAO* It was not what I expected to experience on a whale watch cruise but it was a definite memory- maker.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandelion View Post
            I went on a whale watch from Bar Harbor and nearly everyone on the boat was puking their guts out. *insert green pukey face here* It was so bad the crew had to hose off the deck. So, maybe bring a garbage bag to wear because if there's a breeze (provided by speeding whale boat) and somebody is sick it could blow onto you. I saw it happen ... guy barfed into the wind and decorated his shirt with what looked like regurgitated dog chow. Think about what footwear you want to take .. .. just in case.

I took Dramamine. I did not get sick even with the visuals and sound effects going on around me.

It's cold out on the open water. Bring an insulating layer and a windbreaker. Maybe a hat too. I was cold until we got closer to shore.

This happened over 10 yrs ago and thinking about it still makes me laugh HARD. *I had to take a break from this post just to ROFLMAO* It was not what I expected to experience on a whale watch cruise but it was a definite memory- maker.
            Dramamine, ginger crystal candy, or even ginger ale will help.

Comment

I lived in Bangor for a while, though it was a few years ago, and if -- sounds like you are -- you're susceptible to insect bites, I fully recommend long pants/shirts. I'm basically Bella Swan where bugs are concerned, and I used to get on average 20-30 bites just in one day by the lake. That's not to mention black flies, which have even worse bites than mosquitoes and were even more numerous...

If you happen to dip by Bangor, I recommend taking a peek at the library (pretty cool if you like Stephen King) or a little restaurant called The Governor's! (I hope it's still there at least!) Bar Harbor is also pretty tourist-y, but the best pizza shop I've been to is there: Geddy's. I 100% recommend the Caesar Salad Pizza. Though if you REALLY want to go hardy, you go to Dysart's. It's a truck stop and not the greatest looking place, but the food there was always incredible and the portions were huge.

I'm pretty sure all I took from Maine was how good the food was. Something about their bread was insanely good. I've still never had bread as great as what I could get in Bangor.
              Last edited by Hannah; 04-27-2015, 01:46 PM. Reason: I used a possessive incorrectly and gave myself 16 lashings

Comment

Well... I searched "mosquito bites in Maine" and one of the result was a CDC report which I proceeded to read. Between the midges, the mosquitoes, the black flies and the ticks, too much opportunities to end up in the ER.

The graphic description of the whale watching boat trip helped the final decision to switch coast.

Maine is not off my list but I think it would be smarter to wait until Moose mating, fall folliage, blueberry pies, and most tourist gone, season.
                Last edited by backpack; 04-27-2015, 02:03 PM.

Comment

October is good.

Comment

Uh-oh, I'm a bit scared to do the same search now, as I also seem to be especially tasty to mosquitoes, but I've no option to reschedule the trip, so I'll have to manage one way or another...

@jujigatame, I'm a big beer drinker, mind passing along your suggestions? Specifically interested in a good place in Portland to try a variety of beers, preferably over dinner (will be spending a Friday night in Portland and that's my preferred activity!) and places in/near Bar Harbor.

Comment

Originally posted by ClaireJ View Post
                      I'm a big beer drinker, mind passing along your suggestions? Specifically interested in a good place in Portland to try a variety of beers, preferably over dinner (will be spending a Friday night in Portland and that's my preferred activity!) and places in/near Bar Harbor.

If you like dive bars, there's a great place in Portland called the Lost Bear. They have all the beers and good bar food.

As for mosquitos, I live in Minnesota. Maine cannot compare. When I was in Portland last June, there was nary a one. The coast is windy enough so they won't bother you. I haven't been there in the depth of summer yet, so I can't speak to that. As for blackflies, they are the very devil. But I think they don't come out till it's really hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocks View Post

As for mosquitos, I live in Minnesota.
                        Any mozzies out yet in MN? I'll be there tomorrow. Choosing my travel bag right now.

@marytattoo agree w/dramamine use for boating. Worked for me and I do not have a strong stomach at all. I was thankful I took the stuff because the other people were suffering.

And I kept wondering, "is this really happening?" NOT what I expected. Later though, it was hard not to laugh at the whole scene. Unreal.
                        Last edited by Dandelion; 04-27-2015, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandelion View Post
                          Any mozzies out yet in MN? I'll be there tomorrow. Choosing my travel bag right now.
                          Not yet! It's been fairly dry. You're in luck!

Comment

Originally posted by backpack View Post
                            I can't drink alcohol but if there are places to eat, casual is best, that offer signature brews, I would love to learn about them for my other half.
                            Originally posted by ClaireJ View Post
                            @jujigatame, I'm a big beer drinker, mind passing along your suggestions? Specifically interested in a good place in Portland to try a variety of beers, preferably over dinner (will be spending a Friday night in Portland and that's my preferred activity!) and places in/near Bar Harbor.
                            In Portland, Gritty McDuff's, a/k/a Gritty's, is a good spot. They serve several of their own beers and the food is good casual bar grub. Rocks' suggestion of Great Lost Bear is a good one. Never been there myself but always hear excellent things. Novare Res would also be a nice stop. The food selection there is more small plates and sandwiches but the beer selection should be outstanding. Never hurts to check on spots via Yelp to see which might fit your needs best in terms of atmosphere, price, crowd size, etc.

For Maine beers it's hard to go wrong with anything from Allagash if you like Belgian styles. Their White and Saison are great beers for warm temps and to pair with a lot of different foods. Rising Tide is really good, as is Maine Beer Co. They both make some outstanding IPAs and pale ales. There are smaller, more local breweries too like Banded Horn, Oxbow, Bissell Brothers that would figure to be on tap at several places around Portland. Smuttynose Brewing from New Hampshire should also be well represented and they make a lot of tasty beers.

This post now makes me feel like I need to get back up to Maine and check all the beer that's popped up since I was last there, which is a lot.

Comment

Governor's is still in Bangor. Ate there three times last June.

Someone asked about bike rental. There is at least one in Portland. It was the most expensive of all the ones I checked last summer.

There are two bike shops in Bar Harbor. Both are excellent, with fabulous customer service.

The best priced bike rental is Maine Sport Outfitters in Rockport. It is just a hair south of Camden.

Belfast, Camden, Rockport and Rockland all have day and evening cruises. Schooners and whale watching boats. Bar Harbor and Southwest Harbor also have similar options. Camden is famous for its schooners. I'd recommend these towns and avoid Portland for these activities. From Portland, you need to spend much more time out on the water just to get to a good viewing spot. All the other towns I listed are already close to the action.

I was a tour guide on the coast of Maine. If you are a bug magnet, as I am, get a headnet and a proper hat to go with it. Consider a mosquito mesh shirt and pants (Cabelas has them). The black flies are worse than the mosquitos, but the deer ticks are the most dangerous. Long pants recommended if you will be in the woods. On the coast, there is almost always a breeze that drives the bugs away. I use Deet, the strongest I can buy. Put it on a bandana. I don't put in on my gear, as it destroys what it touches. Apply it to a bandana and tie the bandana so the Deet part is not touching you or your clothes. Haven't properly tested the permethrin, but it gets good reviews. I have a new bandana/buff with permethrin I will be testing this summer in Alaska.

Hope this has been helpful. Maine is beautiful any time of year and just spectacular in the fall! elisa

Comment

I was planning on spending the summer in New England with a good chunk of time in Maine. But after what I'm hearing, I may change that. I hate bugs and get bit too often.

If I stay along the coast, and only stray for a short trip to Bangor, how bad will the bugs be?

Which month would be better for a trip in terms of bugs, tourists, crowds etc...July or August? Or should I just wait until next spring. (I'll be out of the country this fall.)

Now, about Vermont.......
                                Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

Working...
                                X