Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,239   Members: 6,598   Active Members: 269
Welcome to our newest member, ellemef.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine in June. Weather and quietest area next to whale watching.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eucalyptus is a natural bug remedy.

Comment

Originally posted by marytattoo View Post
      Eucalyptus is a natural bug remedy.
      With my luck, if I use eucalyptus, I'll pass by some hungry Koala holding a sign: "Will work for food."
      Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

And you'd be the hit of the tourists!

Comment

Some years are worse than others for bugs. It depends on multiple factors, starting with how much snow fell during the previous winter. The freeze and thaw cycle might repeat a couple times in the spring and it has an effect. Heavy rainfall in the spring and early summer usually indicate a heavy "crop" of bugs to come. To my knowledge, no one has developed a reliable system to predict if the bugs will be light or thick in a given year.

The coast usually has a breeze that helps eliminate the bugs. When it stops, the bugs are fast bloodsuckers. And be aware of areas that are windbreaks, like a building or wall or your car. Bugs may congregate there and attack. Spruce trees and pine trees may have more bugs around them than leafy trees like birch and maples. Stay on the path as there will be fewer bugs disturbed there. Walking through the woods and underbrush disturbs more bugs.

If you go prepared, it's not a big deal. A bug headnet with a brimmed hat, long sleeve shirts and long pants are recommended. Bug repellant of some kind and you should be all set. Really. I'm pale skinned and the bugs go for me first, always. Alaska has over 25 species of mosquito. I was raised in Maine. I've enjoyed the outdoors in both states, hiking and camping sometimes for three weeks in the wilderness. Go prepared and you will enjoy yourself.

No system is perfect and my first aid kit ALWAYS has clear calamine lotion or a really good anti itch cream. There are some that work on bug bites, poison ivy, poison oak and such. Bring one with you and use preventative measures and enjoy yourself.

Maine is beautiful. The coast of Maine is awesome. All the New England states have similar bug problems. Please don't let this stop you. A tiny bit of prevention and you will have a great time. I was a tour guide every summer for over ten years. Go, it's worth it! elisa

Comment

Working...
          X