Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,824   Posts: 191,294   Members: 6,694   Active Members: 260
Welcome to our newest member, willydgil.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Citizen Canine in a non Canine use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We love our contigos!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh marytattoo I checked if you had answered before I posted but I took too long so I kind of repeat your pictures, that was not my intention.

How do you like the CC by the way?

Ilkyway
      “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

marytatto your taller one has a slimer profile, is that right? How do they compare in fit?

Ilkyway
        “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Comment

Thanks @Ilkyway and @marytatoo! I will order the Contigo and give it a try when the CC arrives. I don't need to carry much else -- just nuts or granola bars, phone, glasses, and keys, so I think it will work. And the orange will look great with a Zest TSS :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkyway View Post
            Qutiong tpnl here: "Seems we are all thinking on similar wavelengths. Just yesterday I hooked my CC to my SA - in the same position as a LMP would be and it really works well as a base to hold long tubular items and to have an easy access drink holder. This is, of course, in addition to having an easy way to hold dog treats, etc."

So of cause I had to try it out. Please tell and show how you did the hooking up tpnl because my way might not been the best. I used the same clips as used for the cache on rails system.

Ilkyway
            Sorry I am bit late to the debut party with this post but here are a few pictures of how I hooked up my CC to my SA. I used 2 1.5" single gatekeeper clips. Now, I just checked the TB website and they do not seem to be listed anymore so I think @moriond's idea of using Grimloc Locking D-Rings is a good substitute. Basically hook up the Single Gatekeeper or Grimloc to the SA LMP upper loops and the also to the CC back loops.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC_SA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	296836

I find in this configuration, it is an easy way to have access to your water bottle / coffee mug. The fact that there is a interior "skirt" in the main compartment that can be tightened allows you to secure your mug fairly well. I was actually able to squeeze in one of those large 1 L thermoses (but tight).
            I also love the attachment loop for a Guardian light - great way to add a light to your SA with the CC.
            You could also use it for easy access to dog treats or even an improptu water bowl for you pet.

Also, just in case people were wondering how big the zippered pocket was, there is plenty of room for the biggest of smartphone. Mine is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and there is lots of extra room:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC_Smartphone.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	296837

I really love the versatility of the CC. I love the use as a binocular case. I do some bird watching and that would be a perfect use. I could even put some bird seed in the front pocket.

Hope this helps stir the ideas - keep them coming.

Cheers!
            TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Originally posted by brendabethman View Post
              Thanks @Ilkyway and @marytatoo! I will order the Contigo and give it a try when the CC arrives. I don't need to carry much else -- just nuts or granola bars, phone, glasses, and keys, so I think it will work. And the orange will look great with a Zest TSS :-)

The Contigo mugs work great in the CC - I have the 16 oz and 20 oz sizes and both fit well.
              If you can, get the newer version with the easy clean lid. This lid also has a lock for the button so that it does not accidentally get pressed is squeezed against something (this "spill-proof" mug has spilled when my wife purse once because the button got accidentally pressed while in the purse. The new lid's lock prevents the button from being pressed.

The Contigo mugs are great for sipping hot liquids for a few hours and the auto-seal ability is awesome. However, if you are a slow drinker and you want your drink to be hot even after 8 hours, I would also consider the Zojirushi mugs. They are the best for heat retention for their size and they too have a locking mechanism. I would get the slightly older version (does not have the smaller lid) as the newer one has some non-stick coating.
              The older version model numbers are: SM-KHE36 or SM-KHE48 depending on the size you want. They are also very thin and you could probably fit 2 in the CC but I will need to check.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
              TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Great info, @tpnl -- thanks!! I think the one I just ordered is the locking one, but I'll double check when it gets here. I ask again, is it Wednesday yet?!?

Comment

marytatto your taller one has a slimer profile, is that right? How do they compare in fit?

Ilkyway
                  Here is the taller one inside - it is my water one cos it keeps things cold/cool all day, with/without ice and doesn't get things wet:

Here is the shorter one, which is my coffee one.

Can't even see the mug in the 2nd one.

And no, by the time I finally sent my post, yours had posted. So, the more the merrier!

I'm not sure yet about keeping it. I'm leaning towards yes, but am still not sure. For use as a purse - the unintended use, I know - the drawstring even tucked inside is kind of in my way.

Comment

Originally posted by brendabethman View Post

If you are going somewhere, the contigo can go into any bag (swift, purse, etc) without leaking - just toss it in. I also carry both of mine together in a # 3 SS.

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
                      Sorry I am bit late to the debut party with this post but here are a few pictures of how I hooked up my CC to my SA. I used 2 1.5" single gatekeeper clips. Now, I just checked the TB website and they do not seem to be listed anymore so I think @moriond's idea of using Grimloc Locking D-Rings is a good substitute. Basically hook up the Single Gatekeeper or Grimloc to the SA LMP upper loops and the also to the CC back loops.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12348[/ATTACH]

I find in this configuration, it is an easy way to have access to your water bottle / coffee mug. The fact that there is a interior "skirt" in the main compartment that can be tightened allows you to secure your mug fairly well. I was actually able to squeeze in one of those large 1 L thermoses (but tight).
                      I also love the attachment loop for a Guardian light - great way to add a light to your SA with the CC.
                      You could also use it for easy access to dog treats or even an improptu water bowl for you pet.

Also, just in case people were wondering how big the zippered pocket was, there is plenty of room for the biggest of smartphone. Mine is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and there is lots of extra room:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12349[/ATTACH]

I really love the versatility of the CC. I love the use as a binocular case. I do some bird watching and that would be a perfect use. I could even put some bird seed in the front pocket.

Cheers!
                      My note 4 fits in the pocket also.

Comment

The Contigo mugs work great in the CC - I have the 16 oz and 20 oz sizes and both fit well.
                        If you can, get the newer version with the easy clean lid. This lid also has a lock for the button so that it does not accidentally get pressed is squeezed against something (this "spill-proof" mug has spilled when my wife purse once because the button got accidentally pressed while in the purse. The new lid's lock prevents the button from being pressed.

The Contigo mugs are great for sipping hot liquids for a few hours and the auto-seal ability is awesome. However, if you are a slow drinker and you want your drink to be hot even after 8 hours, I would also consider the Zojirushi mugs. They are the best for heat retention for their size and they too have a locking mechanism. I would get the slightly older version (does not have the smaller lid) as the newer one has some non-stick coating.
                        The older version model numbers are: SM-KHE36 or SM-KHE48 depending on the size you want. They are also very thin and you could probably fit 2 in the CC but I will need to check.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
                        I didn't know there were locking ones. However, mine have never leaked. I make sure the lid is set properly, "burp" it, and away I go.

Comment

Thanks tpnl, thouse are the clips used ont the BB hipbelt, right? That means I can try this out. Have to say your black CC looks smart too. And that red light makes a very nice accesory on the black.

Ilkyway

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12348[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12349[/ATTACH]

Cheers!
                            I still crave a SA and these kinds of pictures don't help! But I have no use for it at all - it would just hang in my closet. I used to always carry lots of stuff out every day, but that has subsided. I don't even use (for now) my beautiful LCBs. And am still waiting to break in my PU.

Comment

I have thought about this a lot: Is changing a great desing dissrespectfull? I can not come to an asnwer but I can say: I do not mean it to be dissrespectfull. I am bid weird when it comes to collors. I like when they harmonice. Warm colors with warm and cool colors with cool. The ony exaption to that is with complementair colors: purples with greens, blue with yellow..
                              That all said: the CC as I have it is a clash of colors in my eyes. For it's intended purpose I would not mind that at ALL. But if I where to use it as a PLO (Purs Like Object as I learned on this forum) I needet to do something. I very much hope that this is not offending to Tom Bihn and his designer crew!
                              I could have done it and not talk about it you say? Correct, but than I where not able to share any more "in-use" pictures of my CC. And boy, I am gonna use this baby! So here are three pictures of the "step by step" alterations I did.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12263[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12264[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12265[/ATTACH]

Still, if a fairy would grand me a whish I'd whish for gray trimming but like this I can wear the bag.
                              One additional thing: taking of the label means two things
                              a. the buttoned down flap now has a bit more "give" to it as the coyote strap is no longer tied to the bag and can move about a bit. To me this is a good thing because now I can "stuff" that compartment a bit fuller and still close it.
                              b. now I can close the snap by placing one finger behind the coyote webbing and press the snap against that finger. Before I sometimes felt, that pussing the snap against the bag could "squeez" the content of the content of that compartment a bit.

If you look closely there are "sings" to my "sinn". Two tiny tiny holes where the label was, as I understand it thouse are positioning holes needed for the seeming process. And cutting of the upper webbing means that there are two small rows of webbing left on both ends. But they are only to be seen up close and I do not mind them at all.

Ilkyway

PS: When my futur dog moves in I will get either a full coyote or a verde CC to be used as intendet. Thouse two color-obtions are harmonic to my eyes and walking my dog I do not mind at all if my waredrobe clashes with the bag I am wearing.
                              Ok, to make sure I understand your pictures, you unstitched the logo and cut off the upper pocket tan webbing. ?

Also, I did fiddle and remove the poo bags from the back. I like your key strap/o-ring idea (you are SO creative), but it seems to be that the OP wouldn't need attaching - it would be contained inside the snaps/lip of fabric? Although I don't have pictures, I think that area would make a great key pocket. Attached to the new "o-ring" of course!

Also, the metal poo ring clip could be used somehow - temporarily - on the front lower webbing to hold something, like a bandana, hat, scarf.....

Last edited by marytattoo; 06-21-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

@ilkyway, you are such a wonderful photographer. Are your photos done in your yard? I always hesitate to photo my stuff because my house is old and "well-loved". And so are the carpets. Right now, I don't stay outside for any length of time because we've had SO much rain that the mosquitos are huge and I'm a magnet to them.

What do your kids think when they see you always playing with your "toys"?

Comment

Working...
                                X