Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,824   Posts: 191,294   Members: 6,694   Active Members: 260
Welcome to our newest member, Gbharrisiv.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Citizen Canine in a non Canine use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,

I'm going to post pictures of how to secure the Citizen Canine to a Smart Alec using grimlocs. I tried posting yesterday with written text and links, and when the time came for the image uploads, my web browser froze during the middle of the post, and lost the text. So, images will go up first, and then I will edit the post to add descriptive text and links.

I've been exploring the use of the Citizen Canine for non-Canine use, with the metal roller and roll of plastic poo bags removed from the back snap pockets, as shown in @Ilkyway's post (#17) in the Citizen Canine comparative review thread. It's not necessary to remove this metal roller assembly, which can also just be flipped up, but it can be more comfortable to carry the CC around your waist if the roller is removed, and it is also easier to repurpose that back pocket for other uses if the roller assembly is taken out. Our thanks to @tpnl for his reassurance that the assembly could be safely removed with a bit of twisting.

The Citizen Canine can be secured to the webbing loops at the front of the Smart Alec. However, the webbing on the back of the side of the Citizen Canine is 1.5" wide, so it would require 1.5" Gatekeeper clips to fit over that webbing. If you have a waiststrap from a Brain Bag, Super Ego, Ego, ID Bag, etc. the end clip is a 1.5" Gatekeeper clip. The Synapse, Smart Alec, Side Effect, Aeronaut, and most other bags use 1" wide waiststraps, and the 1.5" wide Gatekeeper clips are no longer available for sale from the Parts page. (Note: Customer support has told me that I can order a 1.5" waiststrap by using the product page for the 1" waist strap and including a comment that I want a 1.5" waiststrap. Since I received this information just before the product debut, I didn't try this with my most recent order.)

Grimlocs are lightweight connectors that can be attached to 1" wide webbing through a slot, and that have a D-clip section that swings out when you press a small release switch. They can be used to hang additional items from webbing. For an example of this usage, see @Lara's post (#5) and picture in the Geocaching with a TB bag thread. She uses a grimloc secured to the shoulder strap at the front of her Synapse to suspend a stuff sack that holds items she has found. At the bottom of the present thread, you can see an example of a grimloc attached to the shoulder strap webbing loop used to hold a length of cord. (This was part of exploring the CC for use as a hurricane preparedness bugout bag, where the cordage is used to tie-down objects and secure them under high wind conditions).

The design features of the grimloc can be seen against the Coyote webbing of the Ice Axe and Lash Straps from the Guide's Pack accessories page. You can see the slot in the slit for holding the 1" webbing, the release switch for the unlocking the D-clip section that swings out, and that the clip section is large enough to secure to larger (1.5" wide) webbing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1552.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	296847

My grimlocs are black, but you can also buy them in Coyote if you want to match the CC webbing and trim. Here's an enlarged view. The D-clip section can hold quite heavy loads (I think up to 80 pounds), and the slots at the side are meant to ensure that the lock/release mechanism for the clip section will operate even when the grimloc gets wet or gets covered with dirt or sand.

Name:	Coyote_grimloc.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	296848

I've attached these to the front webbing loops of my Smart Alec without removing the bungee cord. Slip the bottom edge of the webbing loop over the slotted section of the grimloc.

Name:	IMG_1530.JPG
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	296849

When you've pushed the webbing into the slot, hook the top edge of the webbing into the top part of the slot. This can be tight if you're working with the bungee cord left in. I used the screwdriver blade of my Swiss army knife (shown in next picture, with the webbing being hooked onto a grimloc on the other side of the bag) to help get the webbing loop seated on the grimloc.

Name:	IMG_1531.JPG
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	296850

Here's the right side webbing loop being secured to a grimloc. As mentioned before, the fit can be tight, so the screwdriver blade of my Swiss army knife was used to both start slotting the webbing onto the grimloc, and also to pop the top section of webbing into the top of the slot.

Name:	IMG_1534.JPG
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	296851

Here are the two (open) grimlocs secured to either side of the Smart Alec. You can move them up, but the middle set of webbing loops are a convenient position to use, and the CC clears the bottom of the Smart Alec.

Name:	IMG_1547.JPG
Size:	710.9 KB
ID:	296852

Hook one of the open grimloc D-clips into the webbing at the back of the Citizen Canine and snap it closed. Then secure the grimloc on the other side.

Name:	IMG_1549.JPG
Size:	769.6 KB
ID:	296853

Here's the Citizen Canine secured to the front of the Smart Alec with grimlocs. I've also put a grimloc through the shoulder strap webbing at the left side.

Name:	IMG_1537.JPG
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	296854

Here's the side view of the attached Citizen Canine. The inner Steel Parapack lining makes a much more protective container than just the single layer of Ballistic Nylon of the Smart Alec's lower modular pocket, and the opening also allows direct access to the interior.

Name:	IMG_1540.JPG
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	296855

Here's an example of items attached to the grimloc on the shoulder strap webbing. I was considering using the CC as a Hurricane Emergency bag, worn on a waist strap. (I had available the waist strap from one of the recent ID bags to try with the CC, before I sent the ID bag back -- beautiful bag, but I still have the old version in good working format -- so I know that waist-strap use is more comfortable with the CC than with a Side Effect. This is both because of the wider strap, and the vertical design of the CC. Further, in the event of a disaster, quick and easy access to the pouch contents while having one's hands free is a plus, and I would not like to use a light-weight shoulder strap in high winds. (The rope is used to tie down items that might fly away in gale winds.)

Name:	IMG_1550.JPG
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	296856

When using the CC on a shoulder strap, you can make easy use of storing items on the back side (inside the pocket that held the roller of poo bags). One thought that occurred to all the tester was using the CC as a picnic bag. I think that all of us were inspired by @sturbridge's 3D Clear Organizing Cube as portable picnic kit (because you never know...) thread. You can also carry placemats or other small mats with lash straps (more about that in the next part of this post).

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 06-22-2015, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marytattoo View Post
      Is it a seam ripper? There are small seam rippers in fabric stores, very inexpensive, for slipping behind threads to cut the threads.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
      That sounds about right. I do not even know the German word for this thing. Here is how it looks.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	882.3 KB
ID:	296857

Ilkyway
      “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

moriond thank you for the detailed pictures. Your CC is beautifull too. I WANT THEM ALL ;-)

Ilkyway
        “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Comment

More CC photos:

The Skookum Dog products, including their Road Duffels, let you insert lash straps through the webbing and carry towels, mats, and other items that you can roll up. This is one of the features I admired in the Guide's Pack design, and so early on I invested in separately ordering a pair of lash straps and shorter ice axe straps from the Guide's Pack Pockets and Straps accessories page.

The ice axe strap is shown looped through the left webbing piece on the back of the Citizen Canine. The longer lash strap looped through the right webbing is about 2.3 x the length of the ice axe strap shown, and the end runs off the end of the picture.

Name:	IMG_1545.JPG
Size:	530.5 KB
ID:	296858

Small items like placemats (for a picnic), or small mats to sit on, can be rolled up and secured with the lash straps. This isn't an intended use for the Citizen Canine, so the items can't be really bulky (or they would be hard to carry poking out the side of the CC when you carry it on a shoulder strap). But this can be a convenient way to carry a few extra accessories for a picnic!

Name:	IMG_1544.JPG
Size:	535.2 KB
ID:	296859

The next few pictures are meant to give an idea of the sorts of items that you can fit inside the pockets. You've seen many examples from @Ilkyway at the start of this thread, and from the description on the Citizen Canine product page you know that the front zippered pocket can carry phones as large as the iPhone 6 Plus or wallet. The front pocket with snap expands a lot (I think it really can hold a tennis ball). The Mini Mesh/Ballistic Coyote organizer pouch usually sits in the front zippered pocket of my Side Effect. It contains various bag-hacking paraphernalia from Parts like Carabiner Clips, triangle clips, Gatekeeper clips, Web Dominators for strap management, etc. The Coyote mesh is softer and more pliable than the black mesh used in larger mesh organizer pouches, so this is a favorite. There were really a couple of Larabars stuck in to the front pouch -- this one was chosen to match the Coyote color scheme.

Name:	IMG_1553.JPG
Size:	588.4 KB
ID:	296860

@Ilkyway showed (in post #55 of this thread) that the CC could hold binoculars. She also commented that it was more comfortable to carry heavier items in the CC on the waist strap than in other bags, like the Side Effect, both because of the wider 1.5" webbing and the size/vertical orientation of the pouch. These are some of the reason I think it would make a good emergency preparedness bag (for hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, and other disasters), especially when worn at the waist. The front pocket has two O-rings, so I can also attach a Pocket Pouch with my Swiss Army Knife and flashlight (FOURSEVENS Titanium Quark 123 Tactical -- most comfortable fit to my hand, over larger flashlights)

Name:	IMG_1551.JPG
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	296861

This is another picture shown to give an idea of scale and size. My iPad Mini in its SwitchEasy Canvas hard case with smart cover easily fits inside the CC, along with my (smaller) Kindle Paperwhite.

Name:	IMG_1558.JPG
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	296862

The back pocket of the CC can also be used for pouches and journals. It's more comfortable to use if you detach the metal hanger for the roll of poo bags, but you can swing the metal hanger up, to get it out of the way, if you don't feel comfortable detaching it. Like @Ilkyway, I threaded a keystrap through the section that held the suspended metal hanger, which makes it easy to secure pouches inside. This is also a good place to stash a small journal or writing tablet. Here I show for size a Rhodia tablet (4.1" x 5.8"/ 10.5 x 14.8 cm) that can easily be inserted in to the back compartment.

Name:	IMG_1560.JPG
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	296863

The same Rhodia tablet (not quite pushed all the way up, so the bottom edge is still visible). It can slide down to rest on the bottom lip of Ballistic nylon with snaps, and be enclosed safely by the bag. If you do want to store a journal here, it will remain protected from the elements.

Name:	IMG_1562.JPG
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	296864

This is another size comparison picture: to the left is the Size #1 Travel Stuff Sack in Zest, and to the right of the CC is the Size #2 Travel Stuff Sack.

Name:	IMG_1564.JPG
Size:	508.9 KB
ID:	296865

HTH. I just wanted to comment of the Citizen Canine when worn or carried: on a waist belt, this is definitely more comfortable to wear than a Side Effect. It's partly because the waist strap is wider (1.5" vs. 1"), partly because the vertical form factor makes it more comfortable to wear (my waist curves, so a really long bag like the over 11.5"/300 mm long Lead's Pocket from the Guide's Pack that is holding a long, straight power brick won't be comfortable; the Side Effect is easier because it isn't as long), but also because the design is more reinforced (outer Ballistic Nylon, inner Parapack liniing), than something like the Lower Modular Pocket of the Smart Alec (just one layer of Ballistic Nylon). So having heavy or bulky items inside is easier to carry (like Binoculars). It won't feel as comfortable for general carry use of articles if the roller stays in, because that assembly has to stay rigid. However, this would make a very good bugout bag if you need quick access to the pouch contents and hands-free operation.

moriond
          Last edited by moriond; 06-22-2015, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkyway View Post
            That sounds about right. I do not even know the German word for this thing. Here is how it looks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12371[/ATTACH]

Ilkyway
            Yes - seam ripper. Can usually be found in any store selling fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
              More CC photos:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12372[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12373[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12374[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12375[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12376[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12377[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12378[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12379[/ATTACH]
              What is inside the next-to-last photo (the back of the CC?) please? Love your photos as always.

Comment

Originally posted by marytattoo View Post
                What is inside the next-to-last photo (the back of the CC?) please? Love your photos as always.
                The Rhodia tablet (4.1" x 5.8"/ 10.5 x 14.8 cm) shown in the previous picture can be pushed all the way up, and then secured inside the back of the CC with the snaps. Since you have a CC in hand, you know that there's a fabric flap a the bottom. The back of the Citizen Canine is a good place to stash a small journal or one of the Moleskine cahiers -- not the regular size notebook, which is about the size of an iPad Mini.

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                  The Rhodia tablet (4.1" x 5.8"/ 10.5 x 14.8 cm) shown in the previous picture can be pushed all the way up, and then secured inside the back of the CC with the snaps. Since you have a CC in hand, you know that there's a fabric flap a the bottom. The back of the Citizen Canine is a good place to stash a small journal or one of the Moleskine cahiers -- not the regular size notebook, which is about the size of an iPad Mini.

moriond
                  Thanks - couldn't tell what it was.

I have a thick rubberbanded stash of gift cards for restaurants that I'm thinking would work well there. The lower "lip" and the snaps would keep the stash in place and not use the inner real estate they use in the SE.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12371[/ATTACH]

Ilkyway
                    Hmmm.....Leo says "Das Trennmesser," but I'm not entirely certain I trust them. On the other hand, it does make sense, so could be correct.

Comment

My guess is that it has different names but I am so astonished by now that I know none (yours makes sense!) that I will ask my naybor.

ETA i mean more multiple than different... Just wanted to clear that up :-)
                      Last edited by Ilkyway; 06-22-2015, 09:23 AM.

Comment

My guess is that it has different names but I am so astonished by now that I know none (yours makes sense!) that I will ask my naybor.
                        Please report back! I would love to know.

Comment

On a different tangent, I tried using my CC as a tool belt / shoulder bag. I found the main compartment cinch functionality very useful to keep tools in and not fall out. Nails fit nicely in the front pocket.

Name:	CC as Tool Holder.jpg
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	296873

Perhaps this is a way to convince your significant other of the need to buy a CC ...

Cheers!
                          TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
                            On a different tangent, I tried using my CC as a tool belt / shoulder bag. I found the main compartment cinch functionality very useful to keep tools in and not fall out. Nails fit nicely in the front pocket.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12393[/ATTACH]

Perhaps this is a way to convince your significant other of the need to buy a CC ...

Cheers!
                            So many lovely pictures on the forum! TB needs to make y'all camera bags because you're all so gifted!

Comment

brendabethman my bottles are all Kleen Kanteen, that means round and hard. I am not a person who would transport water in a Side Effect so I have seen many people with gread ways to do so. I think a flat bottle or a colapseble bottle would work much better here. I do not feel to compftable having my phone in there with that hard round thing. But it can be done and I took some pictures. The bottle is a 27 ounce (800 ml) bottle. They have shorter once that would of cause not peak out that much. And here are the bare essentials that I would want to have with me on any hike:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12253[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12254[/ATTACH]

Ilkyway

Again: there must be better bottles out there to do this.
                              ;) I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread!
                              Last edited by RDR3; 06-23-2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Did not like CC. It was too heavy (empty) for me and way too big for a quick walkies. So back to the 3d cube I guess. Had to see it for myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X