Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,632   Posts: 188,975   Members: 6,617   Active Members: 303
margaretcetera
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, margaretcetera.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Initial thoughts on fit of Synpase 19 vs. Daylight Backpack for petite female

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial thoughts on fit of Synpase 19 vs. Daylight Backpack for petite female

My S19 (aka my soulmate bag) needed a friend, so I got a DLBP for the times when the S19 is a bit too much backpack (such as travel situations when I want to bring a packable day bag). Although I studied lots of DLBP photos, I didn't expect the DLBP to look quite so huge on me! I'm 5'2" and on the short-waisted side, and my S19 is a perfect fit. The extra inch or so of length on the DLBP keeps it from being a perfect fit on me because it extends past the small of my back. If I shorten the straps any further, they cut into my armpits. Also, as I expected, the DLBP takes more thought to load than my S19 because of the DIY back padding.

That said, I really like the DLBP! Once I adjusted everything and loaded it, it was surprisingly comfortable even with the additional length. A packing cube shoulder bag fits perfectly in the bottom, and I've found it makes a better swim/gym bag than my S19 because the slim profile makes it that much easier to toss into a locker. I suspect it's also easier to clean than an S19 if it happens to get stinky. I plan to use this as my weekend run bag to hold a change of clothes, jacket, snacks, etc. The DLBP should be handy on race days too.

In the end, the S19 will continue to be my EDC while the DLBP will be my weekend/travel backpack. Each bag has its own strengths, so there's room in my life for both of them.
    BooksAndYarn
    Forum Member
    Last edited by BooksAndYarn; 10-19-2015, 01:00 PM.

I'm 5' almost 1" and the Dyneema Daylight backpack and I really bonded on my last trip. So much so that I use it as often every day as my Dyneema Synapse 19. I think it really excels as a stowaway in your travel bag to use as a day bag.

Comment

Isn't it funny how we get emotionally attached to our bags? Yes, the Daylight Backpack is a fantastic stowaway bag!

My Synapse 19 says, "Time to work." My Daylight Backpack says, "Let's have fun!"

Comment

I'm 5'2" and the DLBP fits me perfectly. I also use the Packing Cube Backpack, and the DLBP definitely fits better. I use the PCBP as an overnighter, though; it just fits everything so well.

Amusing observation: The DLBP fits me like the PCBP fits my 6' husband!

Comment

I think the Daylight Backpack is one of my favorite bags! I don't wear it very often, but coincidentally today was one of those days. I'm 5'2" and the fit is great. It is also one of those unique and clever ideas -- like the shop bag -- in that it fills a use case I didn't even know I had.

It is hard to think of a reason NOT to pack it on a trip, since it is so light and occupies almost no space, but can be so incredibly useful.
          ----
          All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
          Edmund Burke

Comment

I think I've brought mine on every trip I've taken since I got it. It looks very big on me (5'1") but it feels like it was made for me. We are BFFs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Darn, now you've got me re-considering the DLBP. I'd originally decided it was too tall for my height (5'1") and that a Cafe Bag (Small or Medium) would be a good packable day bag. But sometimes I can see the need for a backpack instead of shoulder bag, and there is that pretty Linen DLBP over there. . . . .
              Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Meglet View Post
                Darn, now you've got me re-considering the DLBP. I'd originally decided it was too tall for my height (5'1") and that a Cafe Bag (Small or Medium) would be a good packable day bag. But sometimes I can see the need for a backpack instead of shoulder bag, and there is that pretty Linen DLBP over there. . . . .
                Buy it!

I'm 5'0" and have both backpacks. I now use the DLBP as my minimalist work bag to hold mainly my laptop and its accessories. I've added a small Freudian Slip to add the last bit of organization it needs. Got the small because I wanted to use it in my Daylight Briefcase.

Comment

Greetings,
                  I was surprised because the Packing Cube Back Pack is so large. This made me very hesitant to get the Daylight Backpack. Even after the DLBP arrived, I waited over a month to use it. Brought it to the Alaska State Fair. Even wore it during the carnival rides. None of my old backpacks could do that!

What took me so long? Everyone here seems to love it. Until I tried it, I didn't understand. Now it's a favorite! My S19 might be jealous. elisa

Comment

Yup - have not used my S19 since I got the DLBP. I like the light weight.

I have been putting a request for an all-dyneema Synapse 19 on the "wish" threads. Replace the back of the Synapse 19 with dyneema, use same straps like the DLBP.

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                      I think the Daylight Backpack is one of my favorite bags! I don't wear it very often, but coincidentally today was one of those days. I'm 5'2" and the fit is great. It is also one of those unique and clever ideas -- like the shop bag -- in that it fills a use case I didn't even know I had.

It is hard to think of a reason NOT to pack it on a trip, since it is so light and occupies almost no space, but can be so incredibly useful.
                      just wondering from your height, what other packs are you most comfortable using?
                      Currently Own:
                      Shadow Guide [Black], Guide's Edition S25 [Black], Large Cafe Bag [Black Halcyon], Brain Bag [Grey/Steel]

Shared:
                      A45 [Nordic Halcyon], PCBP[Fjord Halcyon], Small Shop Bag [Original Black Dyneema]

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenJ View Post
                        Originally posted by Meglet View Post
                        Buy it!

I'm 5'0" and have both backpacks. I now use the DLBP as my minimalist work bag to hold mainly my laptop and its accessories. I've added a small Freudian Slip to add the last bit of organization it needs. Got the small because I wanted to use it in my Daylight Briefcase.
                        So I stopped by the TB shop today to pick up my teeny tiny accessories order, and while I was there I had a very quick try-on of the Daylight Backpack. It is now most definitely on my Want List as a lighter alternative to my Synapse 19. I thought about grabbing one today, but a)I was on my way to Costco and I'm sure we all know what horrors that can do to the wallet, so I had to limit my other spending and b) I've heard rumors of new DLBP colors coming soon. The only color I potentially like right now is Linen, which I've never actually seen in person and didn't have time to investigate today, so I'm hopeful the new colors come out in something like Aubergine (possibly the wrong fabric) or Azure or something unexpectedly new and fantastic.

Of course, if that kid-sized backpack ever materializes I'm going to have an awfully tough decision to make!
                        Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

Resurrecting this thread for an update: I love the DLBP wholeheartedly now!

I used the DLBP as my daypack on two recent trips, and it performed like a champ both in town and on the trail. Once I figured out how to pack it to create the DIY padding and balance the load, I practically forgot it was there because it was so light and stayed close against my body. It held just the right amount of stuff without weighing me down. The DLBP is now a must-bring on every trip I take.

Comment

I'm not a female, but I am rather short (5'6''). I just got both the S19 and the DLBP in the mail. I can't believe how hard this decision is! Theoretically, I could keep both. But they do serve rather similar purposes and I hate having duplicate material items.

I just love the simple design of the DLBP. This is exactly the kind of shape I have been looking for. Something clean that doesn't scream "college student." I really like that it's potentially packable, as well. I could easily put this into a bag if needed for travel (which is rare).

I initially was looking for a non-workday EDC bag that I could use to bring my laptop, SE, cables & a book to a coffee shop, etc. The DLBP is probably perfect for that purpose.

However... having seen the S19 up close, I can't help but think that this bag offers more versatility. I like the pocket for a wallet/keys, which would be great if I ever use the bag for the office.

I will probably end up keeping these at home for a few weeks before using them, in order to see which grows on me.

The next dilemma is original halcyon vs navy cordura. The halcyon just seems incredibly professional for the office (though I plan on getting a cadet for the office), but the navy is beautiful as well and seems more versatile out of the office.

Comment

@zephyr, I won't be able to help you decide because I have and love both. For me, the S19 and the DLBP serve different enough functions to justify having both. The S19 is my EDC for work because the pockets organize my things so efficiently. I know exactly where everything is in there. I also use the S19 for 1-2 night trips.

The DLBP is my workout bag and my daypack/personal item on longer trips. It's so easy to stash in a larger bag and takes up very little space. I will confess that I was meh about the Cordura DLBP and ended up selling it to a friend. The Halcyon DLBP, though, is perfect for my needs because it's so flexible and light. It does require me to think more on how to organize and pack it because it's easy for me to lose things in there or have an uncomfortably lumpy pack if I don't pack it carefully.

Sorry, I think I made your dilemma worse!
                              BooksAndYarn
                              Forum Member
                              Last edited by BooksAndYarn; 09-22-2016, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X