Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,744   Posts: 190,307   Members: 6,604   Active Members: 256
Welcome to our newest member, MeaningwaveExists.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini

As mentioned over in the Azure thread, I picked up the last (at the time) Field Journal Notebook a few weeks ago with visions of converting it to an iPad Mini carrier. I spent a little too long thinking a little too hard about how to accomplish that, but in the end it was a fairly simple method, particularly since I have no need to keep any paper inserted.

Take one FJN (minus the shoulder strap, because it annoyed me)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5075.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	312508

Pick up some good velcro, and maybe an FJN organizer insert and an 8" tablet sleeve

Name:	IMG_5076.JPG
Size:	776.0 KB
ID:	312509

Attach the scratchy half of the velcro to the plastic back of the FJN binder insert in whatever pattern will hold your device best

Name:	IMG_5077.JPG
Size:	760.2 KB
ID:	312510

Stick the soft half of the velcro onto the scratchy half, with the "sticky" side up waiting for your device

Name:	IMG_5078.JPG
Size:	773.4 KB
ID:	312511

Here's where you have a choice - you can either attach a sleeve to double-protect your device, or go straight to your device (in my case keyboard) to attach it.

Here is what the sleeve looks like - I tried this with an Amazon Basics 8" Tablet sleeve, and decided that was one step too many for me since I have a keyboard cover:

Name:	IMG_5083.JPG
Size:	734.8 KB
ID:	312515

Press firmly but carefully down on your device (or sleeve) to attach the sticky velcro to it. If you're using a sleeve, let it set for a while before you try separating the velcro.

Name:	IMG_5080.JPG
Size:	813.5 KB
ID:	312512

One iPad Mini, properly fastened in with it's magnetic keyboard cover below. The FJN insert still fits nicely on the rings to add an extra couple pockets for cables, iPhone, etc.

Name:	IMG_5081.JPG
Size:	688.8 KB
ID:	312513

And due to the nice layout of the FJN, there isn't even a need to remove the keyboard in order to use it, just flip the iPad up and start typing!

Name:	IMG_5082.JPG
Size:	655.7 KB
ID:	312514

And for the final touches, add on some cord pulls, keystraps, and organizer pouches with bits like headphones or charging cables as needed

Name:	IMG_5087.jpg
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	312516
    Rambling On. . . . .

Applause (not going to include the emoji for this, because I find that too annoying)!

moriond

Originally posted by Meglet View Post
    As mentioned over in the Azure thread, I picked up the last (at the time) Field Journal Notebook a few weeks ago with visions of converting it to an iPad Mini carrier. I spent a little too long thinking a little too hard about how to accomplish that, but in the end it was a fairly simple method, particularly since I have no need to keep any paper inserted.

Take one FJN (minus the shoulder strap, because it annoyed me)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16192[/ATTACH]

Pick up some good velcro, and maybe an FJN organizer insert and an 8" tablet sleeve
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16193[/ATTACH]

Attach the scratchy half of the velcro to the plastic back of the FJN binder insert in whatever pattern will hold your device best
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16194[/ATTACH]

Stick the soft half of the velcro onto the scratchy half, with the "sticky" side up waiting for your device
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16195[/ATTACH]

Here's where you have a choice - you can either attach a sleeve to double-protect your device, or go straight to your device (in my case keyboard) to attach it.

Here is what the sleeve looks like - I tried this with an Amazon Basics 8" Tablet sleeve, and decided that was one step too many for me since I have a keyboard cover:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16199[/ATTACH]

Press firmly but carefully down on your device (or sleeve) to attach the sticky velcro to it. If you're using a sleeve, let it set for a while before you try separating the velcro.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16196[/ATTACH]

One iPad Mini, properly fastened in with it's magnetic keyboard cover below. The FJN insert still fits nicely on the rings to add an extra couple pockets for cables, iPhone, etc.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16197[/ATTACH]

And due to the nice layout of the FJN, there isn't even a need to remove the keyboard in order to use it, just flip the iPad up and start typing!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16198[/ATTACH]

And for the final touches, add on some cord pulls, keystraps, and organizer pouches with bits like headphones or charging cables as needed
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16202[/ATTACH]

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

That's a great idea! I love how portable it is. I'm surprised no-one's done this before.

My only question is, how secure is the iPad? If you shake the Field Journal, could the iPad come out of the magnetic closure? I would be tempted to either add foam around the keyboard/iPad or to use a case. But, obviously, that depends on how securely the iPad is held.

Comment

Originally posted by Sejour View Post
          That's a great idea! I love how portable it is. I'm surprised no-one's done this before.

My only question is, how secure is the iPad? If you shake the Field Journal, could the iPad come out of the magnetic closure? I would be tempted to either add foam around the keyboard/iPad or to use a case. But, obviously, that depends on how securely the iPad is held.
          With the FJN zipped (as I intend it to be for travel) the iPad is very secure in the magnetic attachment to the keyboard case. There isn't enough surrounding room for the iPad to have enough space to shake loose, either.

That said, I'm still considering adding some sort of elastic band around the iPad, similar to what is shown over in this post in the "Hacking the FJN for Levenger" thread.
          Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

Uh oh. I thought I'd ruled out the FJN, but this looks like the perfect hack to house my iPad Mini and keyboard...
            kindness is contagious.

Comment

Very clever @Meglet. I love the idea of repurposing the FJN. Thank you for sharing your pictures. This is really cool.
              Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Comment

I love this idea but the binder insert would annoy me being left in there. I really wish we could buy/receive a 2nd plastic shaped back panel without the binder attachment that way you could swop them between binder for paper and plain plastic for using with iPads, notebooks, whatever else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Looks the the rings from the binder let you prop up the iPad. So smart! Great idea, @Meglet!

Comment

The binder rings are surprisingly not annoying, since they let me add a pocket insert to hold my iPhone and other bits. Although I agree, I would not mind replacing it with a non-ring flat back insert. I actually considered moving the front cover insert to the back to get rid of the rings, but in the end they worked out for me.

@luvdabags, actually the keyboard itself has a slot for standing up the iPad Mini, so it's resting forward of the rings and not propped on them at all. They're just hanging out to give shape and spacing and attachment for the FJN insert.
                    Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

@Meglet, OH! cool. Those engineers of the portable electronics think of everything! Love the Azure of your FJN.

Comment

What keyboard is this? Is the iPad just between the three rings and the keyboard or is it an Anker keyboard with a specific slot? This looks like a really cool set up... I'm considering!
                        Aeronaut 45 | Aeronaut 45 Packing Cube Shoulder Bag |Yeomen

Comment

Originally posted by julia View Post
                          What keyboard is this? Is the iPad just between the three rings and the keyboard or is it an Anker keyboard with a specific slot? This looks like a really cool set up... I'm considering!
                          It is the Anker keyboard with a slot to stand the Mini up. I really like the keyboard, although the keys are super tiny they are still quite useable.
                          Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

That's an incredible FJN hack, Meglet! It gave me a nudge into trying out a digital bullet journal, switching from an analog version.

Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Comment

Originally posted by LilAve View Post
                              That's an incredible FJN hack, Meglet! It gave me a nudge into trying out a digital bullet journal, switching from an analog version.

Would be interested to here how a bullet journal can be done digitally. I've never found anything flexible enough digitally that also has some measure of control.

Thanks

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Working...
                              X