Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,576   Posts: 188,295   Members: 6,534   Active Members: 280
Welcome to our newest member, Skysarwer.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A video of the TOM BIHN Stowaway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A video of the TOM BIHN Stowaway

-m

I love your videos! They're always so in-depth and this is no exception. It's a great walk-through of the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewR View Post
      I love your videos! They're always so in-depth and this is no exception. It's a great walk-through of the bag.
      Agreed. I was lucky enough to get a preview of the video this morning, and I watched it while I had my coffee -- a good way to kick off debut day. :)
      Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

That's a winner. Definitely getting, maybe even two of them.
        If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

Comment

@maverick, thank you!
          That was a great video. I appreciate you making it.
          I think you have the Pilot as well? I'd love to know how the two bags compare in capacity.
          ----
          All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
          Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
            @maverick, thank you!
            I think you have the Pilot as well? I'd love to know how the two bags compare in capacity.
            I was just scrolling down to make the same request! I'm very excited for this bag. I love my MB but sometimes wish it had a little more to it. This bag could do the job of several I think...
            current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Comment

Thanks for the video. I get to see more of the interaction, and features of the bag.
              I really love it. It is small, perfect for 13" Laptop. Erm, can someone confirm that its fit Windows Ultrabook like XPS 13?

The Stowaway stated its depth at 8". May I know how this number being divided in between the compartments?
              I hope to see the main compartment to have at least 4".

If one did not use the laptop (side slide-in) compartment, will the compartment be able to be absorbed into the main compartment? Allowing more space?

Also, how's the Zipper? Is it as smooth as Daylight Briefcase/Parental Unit?
              Because from the video, it looks like the Zippers are similar to those in Aeronaut.
              Last edited by weirdguy; 06-27-2017, 06:29 PM.
              Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
              Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
              Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
              Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

Darn you, @maverick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pokilani View Post
                  Darn you, @maverick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I know, if he had received a copy of the Luminary, you would have been a total goner. As it is, you still have @Ilkyway's pictures to contend with (whispers "Deep Blue" in the background…)

moriond

Comment

I didn't think I needed a Stowaway until I saw Maverick's video. Now I'm convinced I need to test drive one.

Thanks for the great video, Maverick. As always your video is awesome.
                    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Comment

Damn, I didn't want a Stowaway until I saw this video. Thanks, Maverick, that's a very useful video! (Add me to the chorus of people who are interested in how it compares to the Pilot.)

Edited to add: ...but wait, I'm safe! I just checked the Stowaway page and I don't like any of the color combinations enough to be tempted. Oh well.
                      Last edited by aedifica; 06-27-2017, 08:51 PM.
                      I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                        @maverick, thank you!
                        Hi @bchaplin!

I can plan to do a video demonstrating how the two compare!
                        -m

Comment

Originally posted by weirdguy View Post
                          Thanks for the video. I get to see more of the interaction, and features of the bag.
                          I really love it. It is small, perfect for 13" Laptop. Erm, can someone confirm that its fit Windows Ultrabook like XPS 13?

The Stowaway stated its depth at 8". May I know how this number being divided in between the compartments?
                          I hope to see the main compartment to have at least 4".

If one did not use the laptop (side slide-in) compartment, will the compartment be able to be absorbed into the main compartment? Allowing more space?

Also, how's the Zipper? Is it as smooth as Daylight Briefcase/Parental Unit?
                          Because from the video, it looks like the Zippers are similar to those in Aeronaut.
                          Hi @weirdguy!

The Dell XPS 13 is 11.98 inches (304mm) wide, and 7.88 inches (200mm), and the 2016 MacBook Pro 13" is 11.97 inches (30.41 cm) x 8.36 inches (21.24 cm), so the Dell XPS 13 should fit just fine inside the Stowaway.

A 210D Ballistic Nylon fabric separates the laptop pocket and the rest of the rear compartment -- there is no padding in between those two sections. So the space can be utilized by the rest of the rear compartment. Having said that, if you have the fortune of being able to travel with a laptop, this pocket is also great for a light jacket or sweater.

One of the things I like to plan space for in my bag is a jacket. I prefer to store my jacket inside my bag than let it float in the overhead bin. I usually feel cold when I sleep on the plane, so I then like to retrieve my jacket and put it back on (synthetic down jackets are great for this purpose). Having my jacket in the Stowaway would make it very easy to retrieve. Historically, my jacket has ended up in whatever primary travel bag I am carrying (Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer).

All of the zippers on the Stoway, except those that reveal the backpack shoulder straps, are YKK Aquaguard zippers. They are all easy to operate -- not as free moving as on the Daylight Briefcase and Backpack, but smoother than those on the Aeronaut.
                          Last edited by maverick; 06-27-2017, 09:12 PM.
                          -m

Comment

Just a request for future videos. Can you please tip the bag towards the camera so we can see inside the unzipped pockets? I know you can see inside them, but from the camera angle, I could not tell what the inside of some of the sections looked like.

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
                              Just a request for future videos. Can you please tip the bag towards the camera so we can see inside the unzipped pockets? I know you can see inside them, but from the camera angle, I could not tell what the inside of some of the sections looked like.
                              Ah - I am sorry @BWeaves! Yes, I can tilt the bag toward the camera. Thank you for the tip! :)
                              -m

Comment

Working...
                              X