Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,650   Members: 6,657   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, CamMattie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A video of the TOM BIHN Stowaway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weirdguy
    replied
    As The Stowaway has returned in stock (not pre-order anymore), for those who had ordered - please post photos and photos and photos. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• fredlet
    replied
    Originally posted by maverick View Post
    I just had this exchange with the Canucks...
    "But did you get a picture?"

Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• DubbySmurf
    replied
    Love your videos! If there was a even a chance of my 15"MBPro fitting, this would have put me over the edge...

Alas, my wallet is safe for now!

Leave a comment:

• BruceM
    replied
    A question about the Stowaway capacity...
    (and apologies if I missed somebody else asking this already on the forum)

The Volume is given as 12 litres. Is that measured in backpack mode or briefcase mode?

I would image it's backpack mode in which case the Stowaway can possibly carry another 4 litres if you don't use backpack mode. I calculate that from the size/volume given of two packing cubes that are said to fit in the straps area.

Do I have that correct?
    Last edited by BruceM; 07-16-2017, 03:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aeldridgeperc
    replied
    Thanks for the video, Maverick. I'm very interested in this now after watching.

My Synapse 25 can carry a wide-mouth Nalgene bottle (8.25x3.5 inches) very comfortably, but I noticed the Stowaway said medium sizes will fit. Do you think the water bottle pocket on the Stowaway will fit my Nalgene?

~AE

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    They got me good!

And then they followed up with some wonderful pictures!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by maverick; 07-05-2017, 09:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Seriously?

I just had this exchange with the Canucks...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• anna2222
    replied
    Thanks so much, Maverick! So the 3DOC's would definitely fit too (I have way more of those!), I think you just sold me on this bag!

Leave a comment:

• Kelly S
    replied
    What a great video :D
    ....and now binge watching your other videos lol

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Originally posted by anna2222 View Post
    @maverick,

What are the dimensions of the pockets next to the water bottle pocket of the Stowaway when zipped? It LOOKS like it will fit a SE (hoping...)
    Hi @anna2222!

Great question! Let's find out!

Leave a comment:

• anna2222
    replied
    @maverick,

What are the dimensions of the pockets next to the water bottle pocket of the Stowaway when zipped? It LOOKS like it will fit a SE (hoping...)

Leave a comment:

• weirdguy
    replied
    Originally posted by maverick View Post
    One approach for the comparison video may be to include items that fit in all three bags, showing how full each bag is with those items stowed inside, and what else may fit in a given bag that isn't full as a result of those items being packed inside.
    You got that right.
    I would like to ask for your help to make such comparison.
    Thanks you in advance.

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Originally posted by weirdguy View Post
    Another suggestion.I'm sorry. I didn't intend to make @maverick life any harder.
    I just realized this, not sure it had been discussed elsewhere in the forum.

The Stowaway Dimension L x H is actually quite similar to Maker's Bag, though Maker Bag is 60% lighter than Stowaway.
    This is understandable, as Maker Bag is soft structure and collapse-able, while Stowaway isn't the case. It stands on its own whether empty or full (Correct me, if I am wrong - because I haven't have the opportunity to see/touch/use it). Plus, the extra fabric used in multi-compartment construction clearly added to the weight. Shall TB Design Team decided to use 1050d in the construction, the Stowaway could might have easily exceed 1kg or 2.2 pound. My assumption.

The extra fabric, its cost, manpower in design and construction eventually (understandably) added to the final consumer price $180 - $50 or 40% top-up from Maker's Bag. They may have similar dimension and are in the same category Messenger/Briefcase. But the versatility, packing technique, what to carry, how to carry, way to carry do varies between them. Also, how user use the bag or expect the bag for what purpose also contribute.

Stowaway: 14.0" x 9.4" x 8.0" / 355 x 240 x 205 mm; 830grams 525 Ballistic
    Maker's Bag: 13.6" x 10.0" x 6.9" / 345 x 255 x 175 mm; 505grams 1050 Ballistic

Hence, beside doing a packing comparison between Pilot and Stowaway. Maker's Bag is another great comparable option too.
    It is like Smart Alec with one big hole compartment vs Synapse with built-in pockets/compartments. I really like to see whether a full packed Maker's Bag (its less depths at 6.9") can be easily bring over to Stowaway (of 8" depth). It is an intriguing comparison, I believe.
    There are videos of each of these bags individually. What would be helpful for you as the viewer in the comparison video?

Each bag has its own organizational elements, and so one might take a slightly different approach to organizing a given set of things in each bag. I think that is already captured in each individual bag video.

One approach for the comparison video may be to include items that fit in all three bags, showing how full each bag is with those items stowed inside, and what else may fit in a given bag that isn't full as a result of those items being packed inside.

Let me know if you have other thoughts.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• weirdguy
    replied
    Another suggestion.I'm sorry. I didn't intend to make @maverick life any harder.
    I just realized this, not sure it had been discussed elsewhere in the forum.

The Stowaway Dimension L x H is actually quite similar to Maker's Bag, though Maker Bag is 60% lighter than Stowaway.
    This is understandable, as Maker Bag is soft structure and collapse-able, while Stowaway isn't the case. It stands on its own whether empty or full (Correct me, if I am wrong - because I haven't have the opportunity to see/touch/use it). Plus, the extra fabric used in multi-compartment construction clearly added to the weight. Shall TB Design Team decided to use 1050d in the construction, the Stowaway could might have easily exceed 1kg or 2.2 pound. My assumption.

The extra fabric, its cost, manpower in design and construction eventually (understandably) added to the final consumer price $180 - $50 or 40% top-up from Maker's Bag. They may have similar dimension and are in the same category Messenger/Briefcase. But the versatility, packing technique, what to carry, how to carry, way to carry do varies between them. Also, how user use the bag or expect the bag for what purpose also contribute.

Stowaway: 14.0" x 9.4" x 8.0" / 355 x 240 x 205 mm; 830grams 525 Ballistic
    Maker's Bag: 13.6" x 10.0" x 6.9" / 345 x 255 x 175 mm; 505grams 1050 Ballistic

Hence, beside doing a packing comparison between Pilot and Stowaway. Maker's Bag is another great comparable option too.
    It is like Smart Alec with one big hole compartment vs Synapse with built-in pockets/compartments. I really like to see whether a full packed Maker's Bag (its less depths at 6.9") can be easily bring over to Stowaway (of 8" depth). It is an intriguing comparison, I believe.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 06-28-2017, 06:30 PM. Reason: Sorry, for the multiple edits!

Leave a comment:

• Pokilani
    replied
    Originally posted by moriond View Post
    I know, if he had received a copy of the Luminary, you would have been a total goner. As it is, you still have @Ilkyway's pictures to contend with (whispers "Deep Blue" in the background…)

moriond
    I'd be up for the challenge of making a Luminary video. I can harness my grad school self when I used produce and host educational videos for Wisconsin Public Televsion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X