Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,818   Posts: 191,204   Members: 6,714   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, adb755.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything I Own in the Synapse 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything I Own in the Synapse 19

Hey guys,

After about a decade of refining, I’ve got everything I own to fit comfortably in the 19 liter Synapse. Everything. This is as simple and light as it can get for me without feeling constrained. I know it sounds silly and ego centric - but don’t mistake this post as a message for how I think people should live. Everyone has their own way, which I fully respect. This is simply my way, a lifestyle that gives me clarity and freedom. Having less gives me more space to focus on the things I love. My Synapse 19 perfectly fits my camera & computing gear, my musical instrument, my clothes, my toiletries, and miscellaneous little bits and pieces that are essential for my well being.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7F3EDFEF-7610-4333-902F-3D85D1ED4A64.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	487.8 KB
ID:	313424

Click image for larger version

Name:	02D698BB-2AA7-4901-AF91-47A72B267FC4.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	648.1 KB
ID:	313425

Here is a list of everything I own:

CLOTHES
    2 underwear, 2 t-shirts, mid-base shirt, mid-base pant, 2 hemp pants, synthetic down jacket, wind jacket, 2 pair of socks, 2 buffs, sarong, swimsuit

TOILETRIES
    small electric shaver, nail cutter, mirror, coconut oil, soap, 2 toothbrushes, mini-towel, clothes-line

ELECTRONICS
    iphone x, 5000mah powerbank and cable, fast iphone charger, backup iphone charger, 2 usb lightning cables, lav microphone, airpod, world plug adapter, 2 AA batteries & charger

MISCELLANEOUS
    1/2 liter water bottle, eyeglass, 3 harmonicas, mini-pen, ear plug, medical kit, wallet, passport, swim goggle, little combo lock, xero trail sandal

TOTAL WEIGHT (including bag): 7-9 lbs (3-4 kg) (dependent on water-level and clothes I’m wearing)

One thing to point out: I use a regular 2 gallon ziplock bag to keep all my clothes and toiletries in. By carefully packing, it serves the additional purpose of giving structure to the bag and creating a nice frame so I can shift weight to my hips. My daily carry is pretty much everything but the ziplock bag and it’s content. My long term carry is when I travel, and in that case, everything fits nicely in the bag with a bit of room to spare.
    Last edited by rishio; 05-13-2018, 10:33 AM.

Wow, thanks for sharing! If you don't mind, do you spend most of your time in one place or are you traveling semi-permanently? Do you work remotely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow rishio, it does not even look stuffed when it is full. Nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
        Wow, thanks for sharing! If you don't mind, do you spend most of your time in one place or are you traveling semi-permanently? Do you work remotely?

Both. Right now I am stationary in California but I just came back from 2 years in Vietnam and India. I like to slow travel - stay at one place for a good amount of time. Now days I’m focused on making 1 minute films so I go where that takes me.

Comment

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by anna2222 View Post
            Wow rishio, it does not even look stuffed when it is full. Nice job!
            Thanks.. Yeah, I don’t like stuffing backpacks and carrying much weight. 19 liters has enough space to swallow it all without bulging. I’d say it’s filled about 80% when I have everything in there.

Comment

Do you edit your films on your iPhone X? I assume you use cloud storage, how is it? I just love posts like these. Everything I own can fit into a synapse 25 and pop tote, but you have me beat! Right now I use an iPad as my computer, but I am curious about the use of a phone full time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
              "Not all who wander are lost"
              "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
              Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Comment

Originally posted by melminimalist View Post
                Do you edit your films on your iPhone X? I assume you use cloud storage, how is it? I just love posts like these. Everything I own can fit into a synapse 25 and pop tote, but you have me beat! Right now I use an iPad as my computer, but I am curious about the use of a phone full time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
                Awesome! Yeah, I do my film editing exlusively on my iPhone X. They are 1 minute shorts and you can see the quality of them on my YouTube Channel (or photos from it in my instagram at “rishiomedia”):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAY...TZAmdh0ZGg13tQ

I do use the Cloud and it backs up everything. The workflow works really well for me. Capture and edit on the iPhone and it all get’s backed up without me really doing anyhing.

Comment

Impressive. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: I do have one question: are you wearing only sandals?
                  Last edited by melhoune; 05-17-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I greatly respect what you have managed to do. When I was a teenager I admired Mahatma Gandhi for many reasons, one of which was that he kept all of his possessions in a cigar box. In my twenties I was able to fit everything I owned into the back of my 1974 Honda Civic, with a great deal of room left over. I miss that.

My life is rather different, now. I "own" a house and a car and many "things", but I'm completely cognisant of the simple fact that I own nothing. I never have and I never will. That makes it another kind of simple.

Comment

Thank you for you enlightening (and humble) post. It’s a pleasure to read about people who are clearly happy with life and that their happiness isn’t because of all the material possessions they own.

I’ve recently been reading about the minimalists and loving the idea of less is more. https://www.theminimalists.com

The greatest respect to you and I wish you well with your future endeavours.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Originally posted by melhoune View Post
                        Impressive. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: I do have one question: are you wearing only sandals?
                        Yeah. I’m wearing xero trail sandals. When it’s cold, I wear socks in it. I also like walking barefoot quite a bit when it’s socially acceptable. I have no problem handling any weather situation with my clothes or shoes, as long as it’s not snowing.

Comment

I also did a little 1 minute video (best if viewed on a smartphone):

Comment

Working...
                          X