Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,650   Members: 6,657   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, CamMattie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road Buddy 36 vs. A45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Buddy 36 vs. A45

Hi fellow Bihnians, since my new RB36 arrived just yesterday I took a couple of pics side by side to the A45, as some are debating about the comparison of the two...
    I packed both of them with two reasonably full A45 packing cubes in the main compartment. In the A45 I added an insulated jacket in the main compartment, an A45 travel laundry stuff sack and an end pocket packing cube in the side pockets. In the RB36 I added a A45 end pocket packing cube and a crumpler bag for toiletries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a45_rb36-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	313564

the difference in the dimensions are subtle but noticeable and they make a big difference in terms of the volume.

Name:	a45_rb36-1.jpg
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	313563

Name:	a45_rb36-4.jpg
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	313562

Name:	a45_rb36-3.jpg
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	313561

Ok, let's unpack the RB36

Name:	a45_rb36-5.jpg
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	313560

as others have remarked already: the A45 packing cubes fit nicely inside the main compartment...

Name:	a45_rb36-6.jpg
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	313559

you can stack two of them easily

Name:	a45_rb36-7.jpg
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	313558

The A45 end pocket packing cube (loaded with a pair of my running shoes size 11) fits in the end pocket, while my toiletries went in the other end pocket...

Name:	a45_rb36-8.jpg
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	313557

To me the main difference - besides the 9 liters in volume - is that the bags are built for different purposes. The A45 is a dedicated travel bag with a lot of details that are very handy while packing the bag or storing it in the overhead compartment of a plane (e.g. handles where you need them). The RB36 is a multi purpose bag that is lighter and a bit more basic in terms of design. However, both are great!

Name:	a45_rb36-9.jpg
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	313556
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Awesome photos there, @bartleby.
    The comparison are very neatly presented. Appreciate your time to share them here!

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
    To me the main difference - besides the 9 liters in volume - is that the bags are built for different purposes. The A45 is a dedicated travel bag with a lot of details that are very handy while packing the bag or storing it in the overhead compartment of a plane (e.g. handles where you need them). The RB36 is a multi purpose bag that is lighter and a bit more basic in terms of design. However, both are great!
    Looking at the bags, compare them one another through your photos. Yeah, I absolutely agree.
    Both have their own respective awesomeness such as the open pocket in the main compartment and also a horizontal zip mesh pocket on the exterior of one side of the side compartment. I owned previous Gen A45 and my main intention has been one-bagging country to country. Though currently, it has changed as more of a duffel state due traveling with toddler. The Road Buddy sure present an attractive solution for my scenario. Perhaps, one day!
    Last edited by weirdguy; 12-01-2018, 11:16 PM.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

Thanks @weirdguy!

Originally posted by weirdguy View Post
      I owned previous Gen A45 and my main intention has been one-bagging country to country. Though currently, it has changed as more of a duffel state due traveling with toddler. The Road Buddy sure present an attractive solution for my scenario. Perhaps, one day!
      Yes, certainly the A45 is a great travel companion for one-bag travelling (although I prefer to have a second item for my personal belongings whenever possible...)
      ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
      current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Do you know if the Travel Laundry Stuff Sack will fit in the end pockets of the Road Buddy 36? Thanks!!
        Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Comment

The Laundry Stuff Sack should fit. I find the end pockets on the Road Buddy to be more generous in size than the A45. I can fit more in the road buddy pockets.

Comment

How useful are the small pockets in the main compartment of the Road Buddy?

I’ve used the A45 but do not own one. For $100 less I’m liking the RB 36, paired with my Synapse 25 travel, camping, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Comment

I didn't realize that the gray bag wasn't an Aeronaut until I saw the mesh side pocket. That pocket, to me, means car, as well as boat and train travel in the cabin, only no checking in the luggage area on a bus or plane.

For a bag that can withstand the checked luggage treatment on buses or planes, the Yeoman Duffel is the best, a no frill, tough as nail bag.

Comment

There's no problem with the mesh pocket when flying. I've flown many times with it.

Comment

So the RB36 meets overhead requirements? Its just a tad large but seems like it would. I am looking for a bag for flights and it seems perfect if so.

Comment

Originally posted by Threads View Post
                    So the RB36 meets overhead requirements? Its just a tad large but seems like it would. I am looking for a bag for flights and it seems perfect if so.
                    Yes, quite well! I didn’t have a problem with it so far, especially if it isn’t stuffed to the gills. It’s a great bag.

Comment

Yes, the RB36 is smaller than the A45 when fully packed. And the A45 meets overhead requirements.

Comment

Thanks for this comparison! Yeah, the Road Buddy 36 looks pretty spacious when viewed next to the Aeronaut 45 (which is already on the large side for me).

Hoping my comment will bump this thread so that others will see it.
                        ----
                        All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                        Edmund Burke

Comment

Thanks for bumping this thread. It's a great comparison. I was thinking it was more square, but they are very similar.

Comment

One thing I've been curious about is, how much larger is the Road Buddy 36 than the Aeronaut 30 (and conversely, how much smaller is it than the Aeronaut 45)? Not in terms of liters or linear dimensions - we can all look those up - but in terms of practical packing and carry. The RB36 sits basically in between the two Aeronauts, size-wise, and it's interesting to see that it doesn't LOOK all that much smaller than the Aeronaut 45. And more often than is true of backpacks, duffels often seem to hold more than their raw dimensions and stated capacity would suggest.

So, if you were to pack out an A30, then take that same stuff and move it to the RB36, what else would you have room for that didn't fit in the Aeronaut? A jacket or sweatshirt? A pair of shoes? A couple blu-rays?

No need to actually pack out a test-case, but if you own a RB and an Aeronaut, feel free to chime in.

Comment

ittoujuu I second your query. I have a Dyneema (now Halcyon) A30 that I’ve used as both carry-on and checked baggage as well as for car trips. It’s a handy bag for sure. I’m wondering how I might use the RB36 differently.

Comment

Working...
                              X