Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,167   Members: 6,602   Active Members: 273
Welcome to our newest member, bosticderek.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First look at the Tristar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by rabergnc View Post
    The Tri-star just arrived in my office. Photos online do not do the color justice. The Indigo is truly the most impressive, vibrant color I have seen in a long time. It is a purple-blue which really goes amazingly well with the solar color. Until you see the color and the bag in person, it's hard to appreciate how nice the bag looks.
    I entirely agree with this comment. None of the photos I've seen online (even the wonderful pictures maverick has been posting) adequately convey the richness of this color. The description flitcraft gave is a good one:
    Originally posted by flitcraft View Post
    I saw the Tristar in Indigo today, and it is absolutely gorgeous. It is a deep blue with just a touch of royal purple to it. And the solar is the perfect foil to it. I'm now really second guessing my decision to go steel/solar...
    Most of the images I've seen make this look like a deeper blue than sapphire. The closest I've seen is the picture on the Gadling sneak preview article, but it still doesn't convey the very deep blue with the "royal purple" tones. A very striking combination when paired with the solar dyneema of the interior. "Indigo" is a good choice for the name, since it conveys that touch of color.

Leave a comment:

• rabergnc
    replied
    The Tri-star just arrived in my office. Photos online do not do the color justice. The Indigo is truly the most impressive, vibrant color I have seen in a long time. It is a purple-blue which really goes amazingly well with the solar color. Until you see the color and the bag in person, it's hard to appreciate how nice the bag looks. I look forward to "dry packing" and to traveling with the bag next week. TB, Darcy and everyone there - y'all have outdone yourselves with this bag!

Leave a comment:

• pretzelb
    replied
    Did I read correctly and that you only packed a single pair of pants? Impressive. I'm getting better with each trip but I don't think I could do that.

I'd like to know (had you taken it) how you use the bluetooth keyboard. I've toyed with getting one myself but I want to hear how others use it.

Leave a comment:

• eastercat
    replied
    Originally posted by flitcraft View Post
    Actually, I should note that if you intended to use the third compartment for bulky items like shoes or even a computer, it would be smart to pack it first, since the other compartments have a tendency to bulge into the third section rather than outward. By packing the inside compartment first, you get maximum usable space there.
    Very ingenious. That means it's less likely to bulge like some other bags and won't look overly big when taking it to the airport.

Leave a comment:

• mruseless
    replied
    Nice mini review, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• flitcraft
    replied
    Actually, I should note that if you intended to use the third compartment for bulky items like shoes or even a computer, it would be smart to pack it first, since the other compartments have a tendency to bulge into the third section rather than outward. By packing the inside compartment first, you get maximum usable space there.

One other thing I forgot--when I drooled over the Tristar at the showroom some weeks ago, I didn't notice the number of handy O rings throughout for clipping pouches and goodies.

This is one seriously well-engineered bag, kids.

Leave a comment:

• bluedenim
    replied
    oops never mind (brain freeze)

Leave a comment:

• bluedenim
    replied
    Now I am really excited as I think it will meet my needs

what did you put in the third compartment?

Leave a comment:

• flitcraft
    started a topic First look at the Tristar

First look at the Tristar

I'm leaving tomorrow morning on a five week, four country European trip--part business, part vacation, with my brand-spankin' new Tristar as my main carryon bag and my medium cafe bag as my "personal item." No checked bags. I will be taking a number of train trips and two internal flights, so traveling light was a priority.

So today I did a dry run to see what the Tristar can hold. In the largest of the three sections, I used my large sized Western Flyer packing cube, filled with a pair of pants, a cardigan, six short sleeved blouses and tees, an oversized T for a nightie, and a crush down hat. I held it all down with the compression straps and laid a 8x12 folder of work papers over the top. The section zipped with room to spare. In the other outside pocket, I put a pair of sandals and my liquids and gels bag in the smaller of the (optional) zippered sectors, and another smaller WF packing cube containing socks, undies, makeup wipes, a mini umbrella, a folding fan, and a sink stopper. Then in the middle compartment went my bundle of electronic goodies--chargers for cell phone, camera, computer, and a few Euro plug adapters; my small makeup bag (c'mon, cut me a break, I have to look moderately professional part of the time) and my mini-first aid kit. Also in the middle section I put a guide book, three phrase books, my Bluetooth folding keyboard, and a small cloth purse. In the outside pockets, I stashed a couple of books, some papers, and my Tom Bihn wallet, slipped to its tether.

The Tristar swallowed it all with room to spare. Then for the moment of truth--weighing it. Darn--19 pounds. Too much to carry as much as I will be carrying it. So...back to pare. Out went some of the liquids, some of the makeup, one of the blouses, the fan, the keyboard, and a few other miscellaneous items. This time it weighed in at 15.8 pounds. Much better.

Hoisting the bag and wearing it around a bit, the straps are surprisingly comfortable. I do recommend getting the waist strap if you plan on packing it fairly full--it does make a difference. (I'll be toting my Absolute Shoulder Strap in my cafe bag, in case I decide that shouldering the bag beats wearing it as a backpack.)

The verdict? I'll confirm it--for me and the way I travel, it's the best one-bag solution--capacious enough and well enough organized to live out of comfortably. Because it has enough structural integity to stand up on its own, it serves both as bag and "dresser" once you get where you're going. The design would work for either bundle packing or for packing cubes. If you can carry more weight than I can, there's no doubt you can get more into it than I did in my dry runs today.

I'll report back when I get back with any other observations once I've used it for a few weeks.
    Last edited by flitcraft; 06-13-2009, 09:42 PM.
Working...
X