Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,492   Posts: 187,435   Members: 6,453   Active Members: 336
Welcome to our newest member, parisbandarq.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a video of the horizontal freudian slip

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    a video of the horizontal freudian slip

    this video demonstrates what you could carry in your horizontal freudian slip.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by maverick; 09-12-2009, 08:14 AM.
    -m

    #2
    The dimensions of this Slip are indicated to be 14.8 inches x 11.8 x .5.

    How many sheets of paper or other kinds of items can this Slip hold in its large "folder" pockets? Does it ship with the colored folders seen in the pictures on the TB web-site?

    How big of a calculator can fit in any of those "front" pockets?

    How flexible is the Slip? How easy is it to bend?

    Could a Tenba Shootout Hard Drive Pouch fit in any of those pockets? If so, which ones?

    And now, a stupid question: would bulkier markers like a fat Sharpie or a highlighter fit in the little pen slots? What about lead pen refills for lead and erasers, or ordinary pencils?

    And now, a silly question: does a Slip like this bring the same/similar functionality to messenger bags like the Ego/ID/SuperEgo as "file dividers" do to the Emprire Builder / Zephyr?


    Sorry if these questions seem a little dumb, but I've never actually seen one of these pouches face-to-face in the real world. I can only go by your video and what I see on the web browser.

    And Maverick, thanks for your as-always excellent mini-documentary on Tom Bihn luggage and accessories. Would love to see what this thing looks like being applied to simulated demos of real-world baggage situations.

    Thanks again,

    The Mountain Man
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

    Comment


      #3
      hi mountain man,

      Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
      The dimensions of this Slip are indicated to be 14.8 inches x 11.8 x .5.

      How many sheets of paper or other kinds of items can this Slip hold in its large "folder" pockets? Does it ship with the colored folders seen in the pictures on the TB web-site?
      the freudian slip has very generous pockets for the file folders. the product page for the horizontal freudian slip mentions of the file folder pockets that "each [is] capable of fitting up to .5" thick of files or papers"

      please see attached an image of the horizontal freudian slip with about a quarter ream of paper (about 125 sheets of 24lb paper) in each pocket (so about 250 sheets altogether).

      Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
      How big of a calculator can fit in any of those "front" pockets?
      i can fit my hp 48g in the front left pocket very nicely. please see the attached image.

      Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
      How flexible is the Slip? How easy is it to bend?
      the freudian slip is quite flexible.

      Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
      Could a Tenba Shootout Hard Drive Pouch fit in any of those pockets? If so, which ones?
      the product page for the tenba shootout hard drive pouch don't mention dimensions, so i can't say with certainty. but given that it is designed to hold a laptop hard drive, my guess is that the left most pocket.

      please see attached an image with my minixpress 2.5" hard drive (which is pretty chunky - dimensions are 147mm x 80mm x 21mm) in the left most pocket.

      Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
      And now, a stupid question: would bulkier markers like a fat Sharpie or a highlighter fit in the little pen slots? What about lead pen refills for lead and erasers, or ordinary pencils?
      a fat sharpie won't fit, but a regular size one will. i don't have one here, but i do have a bic mark-it permanent marker (works like a sharpie, but it's acid free) that slides nicely into the pen pockets. it is in the left most pen pocket in the two attached images.

      Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
      And now, a silly question: does a Slip like this bring the same/similar functionality to messenger bags like the Ego/ID/SuperEgo as "file dividers" do to the Emprire Builder / Zephyr?
      the freudian slip provides organizational pockets for various accessories in addition to pockets for files and papers. the file dividers allow you to organize your files and papers. you can use a horizontal freudian slip inside of the empire builder and zephyr also.

      Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
      Would love to see what this thing looks like being applied to simulated demos of real-world baggage situations.
      i'm not sure if i understand. let me know what specifically you'd like to see and i will try to present it in either a video or a photo.
      Attached Files
      -m

      Comment


        #4
        I'd like to see how this slip (and its "vertical" sibling) would fit into various bags, especially Tom Bihn bags like the Smart Alec, Ego/Super Ego/ID, or Zephyr/Empire Builder. Could you arrange to show how this fits in a situation involving a Brain Cell or soft cell, plus other items that a road warrior might lug around?

        This is very educational! Thanks again.
        Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

        Comment


          #5
          I've just ordered the vertical freudian slip with my smart alec - anybody has good pictures of those?

          This is great Maverick - thanks!!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by peregrina View Post
            I've just ordered the vertical freudian slip with my smart alec - anybody has good pictures of those?

            This is great Maverick - thanks!!
            hi peregrina,

            congratulations on your order - you're going to love it!

            these pictures are a bit dated, but they show the smart alec, monolith (which was the predecessor to the vertical brain cell), freudian slip and what i carried inside of them...
            Attached Files
            -m

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
              I'd like to see how this slip (and its "vertical" sibling) would fit into various bags, especially Tom Bihn bags like the Smart Alec, Ego/Super Ego/ID, or Zephyr/Empire Builder. Could you arrange to show how this fits in a situation involving a Brain Cell or soft cell, plus other items that a road warrior might lug around?

              This is very educational! Thanks again.
              hi mountain man,

              this review of the zephyr shows the zephyr with the horizontal brain cell and horizontal freudian slip.
              -m

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by maverick View Post
                this review of the zephyr shows the zephyr with the horizontal brain cell and horizontal freudian slip.
                Errr.... there's a zippered pocket under the flap?? Oh, dear, I can see it in the photos! I'd better go look at my Zephyr - I don't recall ever seeing it!

                It's the best briefcase I've ever had in my life.

                Audrey

                Comment


                  #9
                  What size file folders will fit into the "back" pockets on this slip?

                  When you decide to pluck a Slip out of a TB bag, does the Slip do a good job of keeping papers from spilling out, even as you lay it down on a table/desk?

                  Does the structure of the Slip's pockets keep papers from getting caught as you remove it from a TB bag?

                  Have you ever stored a Letter-size notebook in a Slip?
                  Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Also, if you remove the Slip from, say, a TB briefcase or messenger bag, is there a way to attach it to the outside of the case and let it hang over a table's/desk's edge, to have access to both?
                    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
                      What size file folders will fit into the "back" pockets on this slip?
                      per the product description for the horizontal freudian slip and vertical freudian slip:

                      "Fits A4 and U.S. Standard papers/file folders."

                      Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
                      When you decide to pluck a Slip out of a TB bag, does the Slip do a good job of keeping papers from spilling out, even as you lay it down on a table/desk?
                      yes.

                      Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
                      Does the structure of the Slip's pockets keep papers from getting caught as you remove it from a TB bag?
                      yes.

                      Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
                      Have you ever stored a Letter-size notebook in a Slip?
                      yes.
                      -m

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
                        Also, if you remove the Slip from, say, a TB briefcase or messenger bag, is there a way to attach it to the outside of the case and let it hang over a table's/desk's edge, to have access to both?
                        i'm not aware of any way of attaching the freudian slip to the outside of a bag, but you can attach it to a door knob or hook. i've attached mine to the hook designed for hanging a jacket on the wall of my cubicle at work.
                        Last edited by maverick; 09-14-2009, 03:44 AM.
                        -m

                        Comment


                          #13
                          A shout out to all you Freudian Slip owners on this forum...

                          Has anyone ever showed up at a meeting in a conference room or a banquet hall and had no place to hang up their Freudian Slip? If so, what did you do to make it accessible?
                          Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
                            A shout out to all you Freudian Slip owners on this forum...

                            Has anyone ever showed up at a meeting in a conference room or a banquet hall and had no place to hang up their Freudian Slip? If so, what did you do to make it accessible?
                            think of the freudian slip as providing additional organizational pockets for your messenger bag, brief bag or backpack. you can actually access the contents of your freudian slip while it is still in your bag, just like you would access the contents in the organizational pockets built into your bag - you don't have to take the freudian slip out.

                            the loop at the top makes it easy to hang if you have a place to hang it.

                            you can also access its contents easily when it is laying on your desk or other flat surface.
                            Last edited by maverick; 09-14-2009, 09:23 AM.
                            -m

                            Comment


                              #15
                              This is another instance where it may be interesting to read the thread that led to the design of the Horizontal Freudian slip. There's also Darcy's picture of the Horizontal Freudian Slip hanging on the wall, and Mike Wo's review of the Brain Bag including comments on using the (vertical) Freudian Slip.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X