Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,500   Posts: 187,515   Members: 6,459   Active Members: 330
Welcome to our newest member, jammyjam.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On Tour: 18 days with an Aeronaut & a Smart Alec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notmensa
    replied
    Originally posted by gmanedit View Post
    Actually, showering every other day is better for your skin.
    Ahhh, the 'two day cycle'. :-D
    I'm a big fan, especially in winter.

Leave a comment:

• leviathan
    replied
    As promised, I posted an updated packing list in a new thread.

Leave a comment:

• leviathan
    replied
    Originally posted by Katy View Post
    I was going to say... Isn't that girlfriend now your wife?
    You are correct! I made her an honest woman and myself a happy man. /clichebuttrue

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied
    Originally posted by leviathan View Post
    Ahahaha this pack is SO outdated. I'm sure all of you know that packing is an art that requires constant honing. I'll try to get something new up soon. I've got a 2-week trip in April. Maybe then.
    I was going to say... Isn't that girlfriend now your wife?

Leave a comment:

• leviathan
    replied
    Ahahaha this pack is SO outdated. I'm sure all of you know that packing is an art that requires constant honing. I'll try to get something new up soon. I've got a 2-week trip in April. Maybe then.

Leave a comment:

• reeder
    replied
    Try a small spray bottle of Bac-Out instead of febreeze Amazon.com: Biokleen Bac-Out Stain and Odor Eliminator -- 32 fl oz: Health & Personal Care Or just throw a few paper towels into a ziplock, dump in some Bac-out, and take out sheets as needed. You can also find it at Whole Foods if you want to sniff it first.

Wipes don't count as part of the 311 rules. You could also take baby wipes instead of a synthetic loofah. CVS has some which are unscented and you could use them as an impromptu shower. I usually pick some up for more tropical climates and store them in the fridge or ice bucket.

Leave a comment:

• papids2000
    replied
    Great post! I took both the Aeronaut and the Smart Alec for an 18 day trip to the Philippines back in September. (see Tom Bihn goes to the Philippines September blog). The only difference was I packed the Smart Alec in the Aeronaut on the way over then when we arrived used the Smart Alec as a daypack. And yes the Smart Alec does fit in the Aeronaut if it is not packed heavy.

Leave a comment:

• Ms. Ferret
    replied
    I've tried using one of those synthetic loofahs on the road, but there's no time to dry them and they just end up getting funky. My shower is normally in, out, dry, get dressed, pack everything up. So I normally stick to hotel wash cloths or whatever is provided by the clubs.
    Synthetic loofahs like the poofy ball-looking things? Try Salux nylon washcloths if you haven't already -- you can pick them up in the bath products section at Uwajimaya. They give you a good scrubbing and are very thin - if you put them in a towel and stomp on them they'll be more or less dry. One of those + a few drops of Bronner's peppermint = instant refreshment in limited spaces. I never travel without one, especially if I think I might be staying in a place with a sink and no shower. If you cut one in half lengthwise they pack down to nothing but are still long enough to allow you to scrub your back.

Some people find them a bit rough, but I've used them since early childhood so I wouldn't know about that. You can get different grades in any case.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
    Regarding the camera thing: I do not yet own a digital SLR. That's still pretty far off for me. I may someday buy a DILC instead, like the Panasonic G2 or just-released Sony Alpha NEX-3 or NEX-5. That's a ways off.

Actually, I'm just wading into the camera bag arena myself. I use a cheap old Ambico camcorder bag for my prosumer Canon Vixia HV 40 (HDV camcorder) and an unpadded gun holster from Sportsman's Guide for my aging Canon PowerShot S2 IS ultra-zoom that I usually carry in my cheap Wal Mart backpack. The Vixia is brand-new. Everything else I just mentioned is due to be replaced whenever the $$$ are available.

I am a big believer in cameras being carried in padded cases, even when the cases with the cameras are themselves being carried around in other bags. The way you travel, though, I can understand how that would be impractical. B&H Photo has quite a variety of camera case types from a variety of manufacturers. I like the fact that Porta Brace is made in USA, but I hate Porta Brace's constant use of velcro. I'm finding it a no-win situation, it's tough to find the kind of bags I want for my equipment. So it's a never-ending exercise in compromise, I guess.

I checked the dimension of your cams and they both seem to fit the Super Drive Padded Pouch.
    You'll need 2 but at $16 each, it is a bargain for the peace of mind it brings.

CANON VIXIA
    (W X H X D) 3.5 x 3.2 x 5.4 in. (88 x 82 x 138mm)

POWERSHOT

4.45 x 3.07 x 2.97 in. / 113.0 x 78.0 x 75.5mm (excluding protrusions)

Padded Pouches

Medium measures: 10.3" x 7" (260 x 180 mm)
    SuperDrive measures: 5.47" x 5.47" x 0.67" (139 x 139 x 17 mm)

I use the Medium Padded Pouch for my own smaller by design, setup.

The Padded Pouch is lightweight, very nice looking and because it looks like a regular Pouch, it doesn't scream, "electronic equipment here!"

Leave a comment:

• MtnMan
    replied
    Any suggestions as to what I could use to keep my camera safe and mobile?

I highly recommend both bags if you're looking into them. The Smart Alec is incredibly huge on the inside. I've lived out of it alone for 3-4 days before. And the Aeronaut is just a dream for heavier travel. Good luck with your future purchases!
    Regarding the camera thing: I do not yet own a digital SLR. That's still pretty far off for me. I may someday buy a DILC instead, like the Panasonic G2 or just-released Sony Alpha NEX-3 or NEX-5. That's a ways off.

Actually, I'm just wading into the camera bag arena myself. I use a cheap old Ambico camcorder bag for my prosumer Canon Vixia HV 40 (HDV camcorder) and an unpadded gun holster from Sportsman's Guide for my aging Canon PowerShot S2 IS ultra-zoom that I usually carry in my cheap Wal Mart backpack. The Vixia is brand-new. Everything else I just mentioned is due to be replaced whenever the $$$ are available.

I am a big believer in cameras being carried in padded cases, even when the cases with the cameras are themselves being carried around in other bags. The way you travel, though, I can understand how that would be impractical. B&H Photo has quite a variety of camera case types from a variety of manufacturers. I like the fact that Porta Brace is made in USA, but I hate Porta Brace's constant use of velcro. I'm finding it a no-win situation, it's tough to find the kind of bags I want for my equipment. So it's a never-ending exercise in compromise, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• leviathan
    replied
    Originally posted by teresapoet View Post
    Very cool! I'm a longtime Josh Ritter fan and will be at the LA show next month - if you see a Plum/Olive Imago in the audience, it's probably mine!
    Awesome! Come say hi to me! I'll be the guy selling shirts and running around taking photos.

Originally posted by pretzelb View Post
    Laundry stuff sacks

Originally posted by timothy View Post
    Monster power strips
    Thanks for the pointers on these! I picked up a dry sack and a Monster power splitter on Amazon for $30 shipped! You all are wonderful help.

Leave a comment:

• helder_jb
    replied
    I know what you mean by "After my first couple years of touring I was fed up with my large, bulky hardshell suitcases that required being checked". Almost 4 years ago I had the same feeling, that's when I decided to not use that kind of bag anymore and learn a new travel style.

10 days ago I returned from Europe, and my luggage was my Western Flyer (you can see my packing list here: http://forums.tombihn.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=10). It was a relief not to bring unecessary weight. :)

My WF takes turns with my Aeronaut, since sometimes I need to bring heavier gear like you did on your trip.

Nice story. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    BTW, depending on how many outlets you actually end up needing, you can save a few cubic inches at least with a smaller mutli-plug; Monster sells (or at least brands) a few variants where the cord wraps neatly around the plugs, and there are also simple heavy-duty splitters that make 2 outlets from one, with a total length of just 18 or so inches, like a 2-arm version of the larger PowerSquids now popular. I often carry one (or even two) of those splitters; at an airport etc, usually easy to convince someone to yield an occupied power outlet for a moment, and then share the split connection. (And because the ends are no on one small strip, they easily accomodate wall-wart style connectors.)

timothy

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    Excellent packing story! I don't mind going occasionally without a shower for a day ... but am glad that's not a regular practical requirement ;) Some people's hair etc. seems to stand up to it, but not mine.

Because Wikipedia has the answer to most things, I jumped there to read about Josh Ritter. (My media bubble is ... irregular, let's say.) Sounds like a really interesting performer -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Ritter

timothy

Leave a comment:

• pretzelb
    replied
    For laundry bags, I use stuff sacks made for camping or backpacking. I usually get them at a place like LL Bean or REI. I like to wrap my running shoes in one to help block the smell from seeping into my Aeronaut. I use the other for laundry. Only drawback is I start with TB packing cubes so when I start filling laundry bag my loading of the Aeronaut is a bit wonky.

Do you roll your clothes or fold them? I just read an article from a flight attendant and I'm considering giving rolling a try again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X