Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LGD Logic/Coyote First Impressions also Ursa/Hunter, Black/Red & Wilderness/Coyote!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LGD Logic/Coyote First Impressions also Ursa/Hunter, Black/Red & Wilderness/Coyote!

(Edited to add: I received this bag at no charge. If you’ve read any of my previous reviews, though, you know that I’m quite honest when a bag isn’t for me!)

I am still getting to know this bag and I do not yet know if it will work better for me than my other TB bags. I am also still figuring out uploading photos in the new forum software so please forgive any photo weirdness or the inevitable multiple edits I’ll have to do after posting.

First, I love the Logic blue (it’s my favorite) and as someone who prefers low-contrast color pairings, the Coyote trim is acceptable, just a trim around the zipper.
    Front view of LGD in Logic Blue/Coyote
    Front view of LGD in Logic Blue/Coyote
    Buckle pocket side view
    Buckle pocket side view

The waist strap is so very clever! This is kind of a big bag for a waist strap, but actually if you’ve ever worn a Side Kick with the waist strap, it feels similar height-wise (I.e. how much I feel it bump into my upper legs when I walk) even though the LGD is considerably bigger.

The waist strap folds into a piece of fabric (seems like black ballistic to me) at the back, completely out of the way. There is a stiffener inside the waist strap material.
    Rear of LGD with waist strap buckled
    Waist strap buckled

Rear of LGD with waist strap tucked away
    Waist straps tucked away

If you don’t want to use the waist strap, here it is with a 1.5” Shoulder strap that I already had:
    LGD with shoulder strap
    LGD with shoulder strap

The front pockets are, to my mind, the natural home for keys, phone, wallet, A6 (Field Notes size) notebook, etc. There is some depth to the buckle pocket but these pockets will be strained if the main pocket is very full, so be careful of putting sharp/hard things here. In the below pic I decided to put all the 3D items in the buckle pocket.
    View of what’s in the front pockets of the LGD
    Wallet in the zip pocket, all others in the buckle pocket (phone taking the pic!)

The main compartment is similar is size to a PCSB but deeper, and also more rigid because of the pockets and waist strap storage. This means that some tall things, like my Contigo 16oz Autoseal mug do not fit upright in the LGD (see below pics), but the PCSB can mold around it. The added depth and rigidity also mean that the LGD doesn’t fit into the top pocket of the SG 23, but the PCSB can mold and squish to fit inside. The LGD isn’t for squishing.
    LGD with jacket, first aid kit and 16oz Contigo
    16oz Contigo (doesn’t fit), First/Second Aid Kit, packable down jacket

12oz Contigo, First/Second Aid Kit, packable down jacket
    12oz Contigo (fits), shopping bags, packable down jacket

Icon and LGD
    Icon and LGD

LGD and PCSB
    LGD and PCSB

Ok, hit me with your questions!
    (Please don’t ask “what is up with that attachment just below here?” because I don’t know!) (edited to add, after discussion below, that I mean the literal photo attachments to the post, not the strap in the pic below. Sorry for the confusion!)
    Last edited by moriond; 05-06-2021, 06:35 AM.

That's a lovely colour combo - thanks for the first impressions! :)

The black material on the back that hides the waist strap/buckle if desired is indeed ballistic... and in your last photo, those are cinch/compression straps to snug the bag down if it's underpacked... like they have on the Brain Bag
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Oh yeah, thanks, I forgot about those cinch straps! I promise I will never ever use them because my bag is always full but I’m sure they will come in handy for someone 😂

One additional thing I didn’t really notice at first: how handy that tip grab handle is! Especially if the bag is heavy. It provides a handle exactly where you want it to be when you’re taking the bag off. Especially true if you have a hat on, or you have delicate items in the bag, or you are otherwise taking care.

I also forgot to add in the pic of an iPad Pro 11” in the pocket. It will take up the entire pocket and height of the LGD but it fits and zips closed comfortably.

iPad Pro 11” inside inner LGD pocket

I can pack it up for a sort of “taking an iPad to a cafe” type of day, if that would be of any use to anyone?

Originally posted by G42 View Post
      That's a lovely colour combo - thanks for the first impressions! :)

The black material on the back that hides the waist strap/buckle if desired is indeed ballistic... and in your last photo, those are cinch/compression straps to snug the bag down if it's underpacked... like they have on the Brain Bag
      Last edited by Cristina; 05-01-2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

G42 and moriond I see now how my post was totally unclear! I meant literally the attachment on the post because the forum software confounds me. All my photos are photos but one photo is an attachment.
        (Edited to add: now I see if I click on that last image it opens a photo carousel? I am even more confused now than I was before! Does that happen every time and I didn’t notice? Anyway thanks both for kindly trying to answer)

I do know what the cinch straps are for, though as I said above, I will never use them except maybe to attach an umbrella or water bottle 😂
        Last edited by Cristina; 05-01-2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
          G42 and moriond I see now how my post was totally unclear! I meant literally the attachment on the post because the forum software confounds me. All my photos are photos but one photo is an attachment.
          (Edited to add: now I see if I click on that last image it opens a photo carousel? I am even more confused now than I was before! Does that happen every time and I didn’t notice? Anyway thanks both for kindly trying to answer)

I do know what the cinch straps are for, though as I said above, I will never use them except maybe to attach an umbrella or water bottle 😂
          It was an extra image attachment that I removed. You had 11 attachments for the post and the one at the end was a rotated view. It’s a consequence of using the inline image insert to upload the image that sometimes you get this placed as an extra attachment at the bottom. I unapproved my post. You can get the photo carousel effect by clicking on the Photo tab at the top of your post. Really beautiful pictures.
          Last edited by moriond; 05-01-2021, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I'm trying to imagine myself using this but the 6" depth seems like it would be overwhelming. Are you hipping it, slinging it or shouldering it? How well does it carry full or not full? Does it flatten out a bit if not full and not compressed?

Comment

The
              Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
              I'm trying to imagine myself using this but the 6" depth seems like it would be overwhelming. Are you hipping it, slinging it or shouldering it? How well does it carry full or not full? Does it flatten out a bit if not full and not compressed?
              ayazgood I think those dimensions (and specifically the 6” depth) are not quite correct. The basic description on the LGD product page is to think of this as a beefier version of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag that can be dropped into other bags.

“It can also be packed inside of a larger bag such as the Aeronaut 45 / Aeronaut 30 travel bags or the Shadow Guide 23 / 33 backpacks — what’s cool about using it that way is that it can act like a beefier version of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag.”

If it were really 6” deep it would be impossible to drop it into, say, the Paragon — which is at most 5” deep at the bottom, even assuming none of the interior space is taken up by any thickness of laptop in its sling or any contents of the front zippered pocket taking up any depth at all.

My estimate of the bottom of the LGD is more like 3.6”, which is larger than the 3.1” of the Design Lab Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. There’s probably some more allowance for stashing the side straps behind the lightly padded Ballistic Nylon panel at the back, and the top of the front right pocket might be able to extend forward as much as 2” max at the top, but this is not a 6” deep bag.

I received this well after Cristina and G42, so I’m only starting to examine it in detail.
              Last edited by moriond; 05-01-2021, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                The

ayazgood I think those dimensions (and specifically the 6” depth) are not quite correct. The basic description on the LGD product page is to think of this as a beefier version of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag that can be dropped into other bags.

“It can also be packed inside of a larger bag such as the Aeronaut 45 / Aeronaut 30 travel bags or the Shadow Guide 23 / 33 backpacks — what’s cool about using it that way is that it can act like a beefier version of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag.”

If it were really 6” deep it would be impossible to drop it into, say, the Paragon — which is at most 5” deep at the bottom, even assuming none of the interior space is taken up by any thickness of laptop in its sling or any contents of the front zippered pocket taking up any depth at all.

My estimate of the bottom of the LGD is more like 3.6”, which is larger than the 3.1” of the Design Lab Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. There’s probably some more allowance for stashing the side straps behind the lightly padded Ballistic Nylon panel at the back, and the top of the front right pocket might be able to extend forward as much as 2” max at the top, but this is not a 6” deep bag.

I received this well after Cristina and G42, so I’m only starting to examine it in detail.
                Thanks, that makes more sense. Maybe Christina and G42 will also chime in. 6 inches would make it bigger than a co-pilot, and the main body doesn't look like 6" in the pics. I still would not generally want to be a hipster or a slinger with this size bag.

Comment

I am out right now with the LGD and I estimate it to be more in the 4” range. I think it could easily expand to 6” if rammed full. I’ll take some measurements and post again when I’m home.

Edited to add: my LGD, not rammed full, is about 4.5” including the actual buckle. There are things in the main compartment (Everyday Cubelet, First Aid Kit) but nothing in the buckle pocket.

The bottom panel of fabric is about 3.5” but if you were to measure halfway up the bag, it is more like 4.5”

Originally posted by ayazgood View Post

Thanks, that makes more sense. Maybe Christina and G42 will also chime in. 6 inches would make it bigger than a co-pilot, and the main body doesn't look like 6" in the pics. I still would not generally want to be a hipster or a slinger with this size bag.
                  Last edited by Cristina; 05-02-2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

To follow on Cristina's review... here's my first use of the Ursa/Hunter/Coyote LGD that TB provided to me (my opinions are my own...and you know how opinionated I am!)

Before I forget: In a different thread, I shared that the main compartment, fully extended is about 4" with the buckle pocket another ~2" full extended. That pocket is designed such that the top expands out more than the bottom...
                    As you can see from all our comments, the dimensions are estimate.

I was intrigued by the ability to carry this sling style, snugged up high on my back, using the built in waist strap. I have two of the original version Side Effects in Cordura that have the built in waist strap, so I was familiar with that part of the design. The LGD use ballistic for that back panel so it's smooth, which is very nice. I've been using those original SEs as traditional hip bags during my socially distanced walks during the pandemic and it only fits a small water bottle. So I figured I'd try the LGD first as sling style.

Today I loaded just shy of 5lbs (2.2kg) worth of stuff and took it for a 4+ mile (6.5km) urban walk through my neighborhood. I'm a righty and for whatever reason prefer cross body (even on my back) to be left shoulder to right hip, so the strap was on my left shoulder and under my right armpit. This kept the strap pretty high up on my body, above my chest. I had to play with it a bit to get it adjusted to be the most comfortable, but I got it situated in a way that worked for me. I imagine that the comfort level for this type of carry with be very subject to each person's individual shape... the strap didn't cut into my neck but if I were shaped differently, I could see that being an issue for some folks. I like to lift weights, so the bag weight wasn't noticeable to me after I got it adjusted.
                    Oh, and I did have the cinch straps cinched down - I like that feature.

So here's the bag... The Hunter green trim seems closer to Kelly to me, but it's not quite as bright in person as it appeared to me when the website photos went up. The black thread also mutes it a little to me. (Ignore the smudge on the buckle - it's something I did that wiped off)

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210503_164716977.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	331715

You can see that the trim extends around the buckle pocket sides & front. The inside of the pocket flap is Coyote as is the main compartment internal pocket that extends along the entire back wall and the section of front inside wall for the flat/2D front pocket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210503_165004363.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	113.2 KB ID:	331716

The stuff: Kindle Paperwhite in case went into the main compartment pocket along the back wall. Next to it was the small Ghost Whale in Viridian holding eyeglass cloth & tissue packet - clipped to a back O-Ring.
                    In the main compartment, I put a Microlite 17oz bottle at one end, then a folded up light hoodie, an external battery pack, and a small Reisenthel shop bag - clipped to a front O-ring.
                    O-rings are kind of hit or miss for me generally - I often don't use them - but the quantity and location of these seemed really useful.

In the outside 2D flat pocket, I put my Nik's Wallet, iPod, and headphones. The hand sanitizer went into the buckle pocket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210503_164941807.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	83.8 KB ID:	331717

Top view of the main compartment - there was room to fit more if I wanted to. I deliberately put the water bottle upright at one end to see how it fits. It does fit without straining the zipper, but you do need two hands because of the rain flap over the zipper and the fairly hard curve around the corners. Since the bag is rectangular, the zipper isn't at a gradual arc.
                    In normal use, I'll leave the two zippers centered and probably put the bottle in the middle, to make access fast.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210503_164758563.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	331718

Just to show that the main compartment, fully extended, is about 4" (10cm); the buckle pocket is empty here, sorry for the weird angle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210503_164734497.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	331719

HTH
                    Last edited by G42; 05-03-2021, 10:55 AM.
                    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

G42 great post! I really like your way of measuring the bottom and I am going to adopt that. When I measured it I laid a measuring tape on the blue fabric panel of the bottom but that I feel is more of an on-paper measurement than an in-use measurement, if you know what I mean. Your way of sitting it on the measuring tape is much better.

I am curious what sort of use cases are you seeing for yourself with this bag? I definitely agree on the urban walk. Since it is not going to be park weather here this week, I am going to try and make this my EDC for the week and settle into it. I suspect it would be a really good bag to take out by myself when I don’t need much but I’m after some fresh air. I am kidding, I suffer badly with hay fever so I prefer heavily filtered air, but I am feeling brave with my new antihistamines and my V6 mask.

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                      To follow on Cristina's review... here's my first use of the Ursa/Hunter/Coyote LGD that TB provided to me (my opinions are my own...and you know how opinionated I am!)

Before I forget: In a different thread, I shared that the main compartment, fully extended is about 4" with the buckle pocket another ~2" full extended. That pocket is designed such that the top expands out more than the bottom...
                      As you can see from all our comments, the dimensions are estimate.

I was intrigued by the ability to carry this sling style, snugged up high on my back, using the built in waist strap. I have two of the original version Side Effects in Cordura that have the built in waist strap, so I was familiar with that part of the design. The LGD use ballistic for that back panel so it's smooth, which is very nice. I've been using those original SEs as traditional hip bags during my socially distanced walks during the pandemic and it only fits a small water bottle. So I figured I'd try the LGD first as sling style.

Today I loaded just shy of 5lbs (2.2kg) worth of stuff and took it for a 4+ mile (6.5km) urban walk through my neighborhood. I'm a righty and for whatever reason prefer cross body (even on my back) to be left shoulder to right hip, so the strap was on my left shoulder and under my right armpit. This kept the strap pretty high up on my body, above my chest. I had to play with it a bit to get it adjusted to be the most comfortable, but I got it situated in a way that worked for me. I imagine that the comfort level for this type of carry with be very subject to each person's individual shape... the strap didn't cut into my neck but if I were shaped differently, I could see that being an issue for some folks. I like to lift weights, so the bag weight wasn't noticeable to me after I got it adjusted.
                      Oh, and I did have the cinch straps cinched down - I like that feature.

So here's the bag... The Hunter green trim seems closer to Kelly to me, but it's not quite as bright in person as it appeared to me when the website photos went up. The black thread also mutes it a little to me. (Ignore the smudge on the buckle - it's something I did that wiped off)

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20210503_164716977.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	331715

You can see that the trim extends around the buckle pocket sides & front. The inside of the pocket flap is Coyote as is the main compartment internal pocket that extends along the entire back wall and the section of front inside wall for the flat/2D front pocket.

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20210503_165004363.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	113.2 KB ID:	331716

The stuff: Kindle Paperwhite in case went into the main compartment pocket along the back wall. Next to it was the small Ghost Whale in Viridian holding eyeglass cloth & tissue packet - clipped to a back O-Ring.
                      In the main compartment, I put a Microlite 17oz bottle at one end, then a folded up light hoodie, an external battery pack, and a small Reisenthel shop bag - clipped to a front O-ring.
                      O-rings are kind of hit or miss for me generally - I often don't use them - but the quantity and location of these seemed really useful.

In the outside 2D flat pocket, I put my Nik's Wallet, iPod, and headphones. The hand sanitizer went into the buckle pocket.

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20210503_164941807.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	83.8 KB ID:	331717

Top view of the main compartment - there was room to fit more if I wanted to. I deliberately put the water bottle upright at one end to see how it fits. It does fit without straining the zipper, but you do need two hands because of the rain flap over the zipper and the fairly hard curve around the corners. Since the bag is rectangular, the zipper isn't at a gradual arc.
                      In normal use, I'll leave the two zippers centered and probably put the bottle in the middle, to make access fast.

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20210503_164758563.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	331718

Just to show that the main compartment, fully extended, is about 4" (10cm); the buckle pocket is empty here, sorry for the weird angle.

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20210503_164734497.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	331719

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
                        G42 great post! I really like your way of measuring the bottom and I am going to adopt that. When I measured it I laid a measuring tape on the blue fabric panel of the bottom but that I feel is more of an on-paper measurement than an in-use measurement, if you know what I mean. Your way of sitting it on the measuring tape is much better.

I am curious what sort of use cases are you seeing for yourself with this bag? I definitely agree on the urban walk. Since it is not going to be park weather here this week, I am going to try and make this my EDC for the week and settle into it. I suspect it would be a really good bag to take out by myself when I don’t need much but I’m after some fresh air. I am kidding, I suffer badly with hay fever so I prefer heavily filtered air, but I am feeling brave with my new antihistamines and my V6 mask.
                        I hear you - the tree & grass pollen level right now in my area is extreme and I'm allergic to all of it!

Today was suddenly wicked hot (90F/32C) so I'm hiding inside, but part of the reason I tried it sling-style on foot early this morning was to see how it felt before trying it that when when biking.

I think it's an interesting alternative not only to the PCSB as Darcy suggested, but also to the Co-Pilot as an in flight bag that is also your walking around/light hiking bag at destination. I feel like I need to play around with it more and also have an opportunity to get out and about more in general, to see where it will end up in the pantheon of bags

Comment

My Tom Bihn Reviews has a very brief first look video, showing the bag in action:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AlN0aIDrlI
                          Last edited by ayazgood; 05-04-2021, 04:08 AM.

Comment

And here is mine (sent to me by TB) in Black/Red/Island! Doesn't it look sharp?

Click image for larger version  Name:	LGD-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	467.3 KB ID:	331753
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	LGD-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	432.1 KB ID:	331754
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	LGD-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	437.1 KB ID:	331755
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	LGD-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	440.7 KB ID:	331756

My first impression was: wow, bigger than I thought. Then, my next idea was: looks like it would make a great camera bag (obviously GrussGott and Waterlogged over in the LGD thread had similar things in mind). So I tried the following: Since the bag has no padding I used one of my camera wraps for bottom padding as I consider this to be the most important one in case you bump the bag on the ground. I took my DSLR (my old faithful Nikon D700) with a 50mm lens mounted and had space for an extra wide angle lens (20mm). Some filters and smaller accessories went into Ghost Whales and an Organizer Pouch, fixed to the O-rings in the back compartment. My purse and phone went into the front pockets:

Click image for larger version  Name:	LGD-5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	436.3 KB ID:	331757
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	LGD-6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	389.6 KB ID:	331758

Works great and the bag isn't filled to the brim which makes the handling of the camera easier. The weight is still within reason and it carries comfortably with the hip belt. I am not sure yet whether I would prefer a shoulder strap but I'll find out for sure!

Click image for larger version  Name:	LGD-7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	439.5 KB ID:	331759
                            Last edited by bartleby; 05-04-2021, 10:36 AM.
                            ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
                            current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Ooh now bartleby I am loving that combination. Sharp indeed!

I’m looking forward to finding out what you think of it as a camera bag once you have it configured like that for a few days.

I already know I want the LGD to have some more pocketing for small items (either internally or by making the zip pocket 3D) but it seems like you might not have the same needs if you use it as a camera bag. Curious to find out!

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
                              And here is mine (sent to me by TB) in Black/Red/Island! Doesn't it look sharp?

My first impression was: wow, bigger than I thought. Then, my next idea was: looks like it would make a great camera bag (obviously GrussGott and Waterlogged over in the LGD thread had similar things in mind). So I tried the following: Since the bag has no padding I used one of my camera wraps for bottom padding as I consider this to be the most important one in case you bump the bag on the ground. I took my DSLR (my old faithful Nikon D700) with a 50mm lens mounted and had space for an extra wide angle lens (20mm). Some filters and smaller accessories went into Ghost Whales and an Organizer Pouch, fixed to the O-rings in the back compartment. My purse and phone went into the front pockets:

Works great and the bag isn't filled to the brim which makes the handling of the camera easier. The weight is still within reason and it carries comfortably with the hip belt. I am not sure yet whether I would prefer a shoulder strap but I'll find out for sure!
                              Last edited by Cristina; 05-05-2021, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X