Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LGD Logic/Coyote First Impressions also Ursa/Hunter, Black/Red & Wilderness/Coyote!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
    I tried the following: Since the bag has no padding I used one of my camera wraps for bottom padding as I consider this to be the most important one in case you bump the bag on the ground. I took my DSLR (my old faithful Nikon D700) with a 50mm lens mounted and had space for an extra wide angle lens (20mm). Some filters and smaller accessories went into Ghost Whales and an Organizer Pouch, fixed to the O-rings in the back compartment.
    PERFECT! Great post, and exactly how I'd use it, including putting the wrap on the bottom - perfect for a day of sightseeing without have a big bag or backpack where you have to fuss to get the camera out.

Also looks great for long hikes where you want a few water bottles + provisions & medkit, maybe bear spray, etc
    Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
      Ooh now bartleby I am loving that combination. Sharp indeed!

I’m looking forward to finding out what you think of it as a camera bag once you have it configured like that for a few days.
      I am curious too! I hope the weather will be a bit more stable to allow for a little foto safari!

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
      I already know I want the LGD to have some more pocketing for small items (either internally or by making the zip pocket 3D) but it seems like you might not have the same needs if you use it as a camera bag. Curious to find out!
      My first impression is that I can do without more pockets as the main compartment remains more flexible and I can always add some small pouches for the small things. However, I like your idea of having some more space in the outside zip pocket!

...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
      current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Such great reviews and photos in this thread -- thank you! Love seeing the Ursa/Green combo.
        ----
        All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
        Edmund Burke

Comment

I’ve got a quick question for those of you with access to a LGD. Is the bottom/male buckle on the front attached with webbing that’s sewn to the LGD on both ends, or can it be detached like on the Maker’s bag? Just wondering how easy it would be to replace the buckle.

Thanks!
          MB, LGD, SK, MT, PUT, and other various bits and pieces

Comment

Originally posted by Tycho View Post
            I’ve got a quick question for those of you with access to a LGD. Is the bottom/male buckle on the front attached with webbing that’s sewn to the LGD on both ends, or can it be detached like on the Maker’s bag? Just wondering how easy it would be to replace the buckle.

Thanks!
            Yes, the webbing for the front pocket bottom male buckle is one loop of webbing trapping that buckle part and fully sewn in.
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Got it. Thanks, G42!
              MB, LGD, SK, MT, PUT, and other various bits and pieces

Comment

Adding some pictures of the LGD in Wilderness/Coyote/Coyote. I received this bag at no charge from the folks at Tom Bihn. I'm just going to preface this with the comment that (a) I really like this color combination, which was chosen before we knew what any of the trim colors looked like, and (b) a large part of the extra utility of the LGD comes from the added depth. Just an additional half inch on top of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag suddenly makes it feasible to carry all sorts of lunch boxes and objects of added depth that were not previously possible.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0482.JPG Views:	32 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	331870
                This is a view of the Wilderness/Coyote/Coyote Le Grand Derrière (LGD) inside one side of the Western Flyer of Navy 1050d Ballistic Nylon with Solar Halcyon lining. To the right is a Beaver Camo Large Shop Bag, that was also received at no charge from the folks at Tom Bihn.

One of the features of the LGD, in addition to its larger depth and reinforced materials (here, 525d Hunter Ballistic Nylon) compared to the Packing Cube Backpack, is the ability to drop this bag into other other travel luggage bags and backpacks. While in most cases these are the larger luggage bags (Aeronaut 30 or Aeronaut 45) or various backpacks (Smart Alec, Shadow Guide, Synik 30, Paragon), I wanted to show that the LGD, not stuffed to the maximum capacity that causes the bag to bulge outward in the front pockets as well to 6", fits into half of the zippered compartment of the Western Flyer (more easily than the Co-Pilot I photographed a few days ago). It's about 4" thick as packed here. The original style Large Shop Bag in Beaver Camo to the right, is meant to show how well the colors of the Wilderness/Coyote/Coyote LGD coordinate with the Beaver Camo patterns, as well as to give an impression of the relative sizes.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0484.JPG Views:	28 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	331871
                Here are some size comparison between the LGD and a 1050d Steel Ballistic Nylon/ Solar Halcyon Co-Pilot to the right, with a Black 400d Halcyon/Steel Halcyon Daylight Briefcase to the lower right. The LGD is not set to accommodate a 13" laptop -- that's better done with the Daylight Briefcase, which doesn't have the depth to carry lunch boxes, etc. It does nicely fit an 11" iPad Pro in the main compartment. The front pockets can accommodate pouches like the Small Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch (here in 525d Ballistic Burnt Orange), or eyeglasses in a slim case, earbuds, a wallet (or a checkbook) on the left. The Kindle Paperwhite in Omoton case is well-sized to fit the pocket on the right as a slim entry. If you want to carry slim guidebooks, such as by Rick Steves, or Lonely Planet, they will fit in next to a 12 oz Zojurushi thermos, but you won't have room for more than a small/narrow lunch container, too. The back pocket inside the main compartment can take a moderately thick book, or a sketchbook or watercolor book (such as the Canson ones that can fit into the Field Journal Notebook), but you'd have to provide another way of holding pens, brushes, etc. (such as Nock pen cases). The HLT 2 is a bit too tall to fit inside, but an HLT 1 (or 3D Organizer Cube would work).
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0486.JPG Views:	29 Size:	795.3 KB ID:	331872
                Another variation is to replace the space with the small lunch box with a 400d Halcyon Daylight Backpack rolled into a Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack (here this is the Black Halcyon DLBP tightly rolled into a Size 1 Zest Travel Stuff Sack)
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0488.JPG Views:	28 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	331873

This is closeup of the front pockets. The Kindle Paperwhite is a slim occupant at the right, and the Coyote lining can be seen. An iPad Mini would be too large to fit into the front pockets. All the other items (thermos, books) have been packed into the LGD.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0489.JPG Views:	27 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	331874
                Another organization scheme: use an Everyday Cubelet (Acuity). The 3.5" diameter Bento Box beside the thermos would not have fit into a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. To the right I've pulled the rolled up Daylight Backpack partway out of the Size #1 Zest Travel Stuff Sack

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0487.JPG Views:	28 Size:	691.2 KB ID:	331875
                These are alternative lunch boxes (of different heights) that will fit beside the Zojurushi thermos. Again, the option of a Daylight Backpack is shown partially pulled out from its rolled up form. The Sinclair at the right is one of the pen case options (could fit next to a standard luch box)
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0494.JPG Views:	28 Size:	582.9 KB ID:	331876
                Or use a 3D Organizer Cube (this one has utensils and small plates) with a smaller lunch box, and a mini Kiwi Q-Kit with small incidentals to sit on top.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0492.JPG Views:	28 Size:	309.1 KB ID:	331877
                Packed inside of LGD

moriond

ETA: Corrected color name to Wilderness (Sorry: Hunter is the name of color trim on the Ursa LGD; it also happened to be the name of the 1050d ballistic nylon Imago with Cork Flay and Sage interior that I carried around since 2007. It's a slightly different shade of green with more blue/green overtones than Wilderness, and wouldn't go quite as well with a Coyote trim)
                Last edited by moriond; 05-06-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Nice configurations moriond !

what's the pen holder strap thing on the sketch book? is it an elastic that goes all the way around and holds the book closed too?
                  I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                    Nice configurations moriond !

what's the pen holder strap thing on the sketch book? is it an elastic that goes all the way around and holds the book closed too?
                    This is something that Levenger made to allow you to use both as a book marker and as something that could hold a pen and yes, it can hold the book closed.

These are the Levenger Precious Metal Belts in the Junior Size

They used to also make a package with one Belt with a pen holder and one slimmer (plain) belt that could be used as a book marker
                    See Hacking the FJN for Levenger Circa, etc.
                    https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...irca-etc/page2

Also read Benefits of the Field Journal over Midori?

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...al-over-midori
                    Last edited by moriond; 05-06-2021, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Took the LGD out today for a very pleasant little hike (just 2 hours). I didn't use fanny packs a lot in the past and the LGD is really my first proper one. I used the hip belt and as today was a very warm day (30°C / 86°F) this was great in terms of sweating compared to a backpack or a shoulder strap. I packed very light with just a small camera (Panasonic LX 100 in a Lowepro Dahpoint 20), sunglasses, wallet, phone, car keys. Carrying comfort was great and I could have easily packed more stuff in terms of weight and space. To be continued....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Letzte - 4 von 4.jpeg
Views:	428
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	332048

Name:	Letzte - 3 von 4.jpeg
Views:	410
Size:	668.6 KB
ID:	332049

Name:	Letzte - 2 von 4.jpeg
Views:	407
Size:	660.4 KB
ID:	332050

Isn't that lovely? The Black Forest on the verge of summer...

Name:	Letzte - 1 von 4.jpeg
Views:	405
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	332051
                      ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
                      current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Thanks for the images, moriond , I was wondering how the LGD fits into the zippered compartments of the Western Flyer. I've been thinking about finding a bag that fits in that space to provide a day bag for hybrid one-bag travel. And that Wilderness/Coyote color combo... gorgeous!!

Comment

Originally posted by darknova306 View Post
                          Thanks for the images, moriond , I was wondering how the LGD fits into the zippered compartments of the Western Flyer. I've been thinking about finding a bag that fits in that space to provide a day bag for hybrid one-bag travel. And that Wilderness/Coyote color combo... gorgeous!!
                          There’s been a lot of discussion about the stated dimensions and volume of the LGD,and some worries about whether it’s too big to really carry around because of its ability to expand. I wanted to show at least one picture that would emphasize that it could fit in a lot of the places that we used for the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag but provide extra depth that would make it a lot more usable for multiple purposes even if one was not taking advantage of its considerable expandability. In the Aeronaut 30, you can drop it in the main compartment in place of a small A30 packing Cube and put another A30 Small Packing Cube beside it, but showing it in the Western Flyer really makes the point about its versatility. Hope this configuration works out for you! Let us know what you think. Right now there’s still the debate behind the scenes about whether something with more internal organization (in the manner of the Side Kick) would work even better,

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                            showing it in the Western Flyer really makes the point about its versatility. Hope this configuration works out for you! Let us know what you think. Right now there’s still the debate behind the scenes about whether something with more internal organization (in the manner of the Side Kick) would work even better,
                            That's pretty much what I'm searching for these days: a small (likely sling) bag that fits in the zippered front compartment of the Western Flyer and has some nice organization built in. Maybe a PCSB with SK-like pocketry. The SK is just a bit too small and purse-like for my taste.

Comment

Originally posted by darknova306 View Post

a small (likely sling) bag that fits in the zippered front compartment of the Western Flyer and has some nice organization built in.
                              That would be pretty nice ... ideally with a removable foam bottom piece so you could use it for a camera with no worries, and I'd love if it also had shoulder strap attach-points so you could wear it cross-body or LCB style and also use it as a back-of-seat bag.

That way, it goes into the WF for transport through the TSA, comes out to be your in-flight back-of-seat bag, at your destination becomes your tourist day bag, and at home is your EDC sling pack.
                              Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

That would be pretty nice ... ideally with a removable foam bottom piece so you could use it for a camera with no worries, and I'd love if it also had shoulder strap attach-points so you could wear it cross-body or LCB style and also use it as a back-of-seat bag.

That way, it goes into the WF for transport through the TSA, comes out to be your in-flight back-of-seat bag, at your destination becomes your tourist day bag, and at home is your EDC sling pack.
                                The LGD already has shoulder strap attachment points at the sides of the bag. See, for example, @Cristina’s pictures of the sides of the LGD.

Name:	D5A41927-2170-4465-8D95-12E814B9B379.jpeg
Views:	380
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	332081

In previous discussion in another thread, there’s been a lot said about how the product page dimensions (specifically the 6” depth) are calculated, due to concerns about really being able to carry and use this bag. Obviously, to those who are familiar with the size of the Western Flyer compartments and Small WF Packing Cubes, If the LGD I had displayed in the photo really had a depth of 6” (instead of the ability to expand to 6”), I would never be able to zip it into the front section of the Western Flyer.

I’m quoting some of the discussion in another thread about the dimensions of Le Grand Derrière. Please read @Darcy’s description of how they determine dimensions, and go back to view the discussion (and later posts) in the context of the original thread by tapping/clicking on the arrows at the top right of the quoted sections.

Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
                                Dang, it's a monster! Stated volume of side kick is 3 L and stated volume of LGB is 8 L, so Darcy came pretty close. Highly unlikely I would wear this as either a fanny pack or a sling. Even as a shoulder bag, I would not be crazy about a 6 inch deep box on my hip. The compression straps should come in handy. FYI, for comparison:
                                Bag Dimensions NominalVolume StatedVolume Weight
                                LGB 12.6" (w) x 8.2" (h) x 6.2" (d) 10.49 L 8 L 15.2 oz
                                SCB 8.3" (w) x 10.6" (h) x 3" (d) 4.32 L 6 L 11.9 oz
                                MCB 10.6" (w) x 12.2" (h) x 3" (d) 6.35 L 8 L 14.5 oz
                                Co-Pilot 11.8" (w) x 10" (h) x 4.9" (d) 9.47 L 10 L 21.9 oz
                                Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
                                What are the dimensions of the main compartment. The stated 6 inch depth seems off.
                                Originally posted by Darcy View Post

I'll add this to the FAQ, but real quick here:

We measured the LGD using the same methodology we use to measure all our bags: we fill them with .75” / 20mm hard plastic spheres and pack them reasonably tight. We then measure the tallest, thickest and widest dimensions using a large caliper. The thickest (deepest) dimension of the LGD is just over 6".
                                Last edited by moriond; 05-10-2021, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X