LGD further thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LGD further thoughts

I wanted to make sure to post some thoughts that have developed after using this bag for a little while, particularly as the preorder closes tomorrow.

I really like how this bag carries. It feels great and doesn’t seem bulky even though it is pretty deep. I love the waist strap and how it can hide away elegantly, as most of the time I use the shoulder strap.

I am a total pocket fiend and I really wish this had a bit more separation for small 3-D items like lip balms and hand sanitizers and inhalers and keys. That’s my biggest annoyance with the bag but I have gotten around it by using a Small Snake Charmer to corral some of these items in the main compartment, while the most important ones ride in the front pockets. I also wish this bag were half an inch taller to accommodate my 16oz Contigo.

Speaking of my Contigos, I have found a hack for this bag, and that’s to use the side cinch straps as a drink holder. My 12oz Contigo fits in very nicely here, as there is a small space for the cinch strap webbing to sit in. In this pic the Contigo bottle is hanging off the windowsill to show how it actually sits in there.
    LGD with bottle in the cinch straps

I think it would be fairly straightforward to make some sort of bottle cage out of nylon webbing or flat elastic and fit it to the cinch straps for bottles of any shape. A further benefit would be that it could be used whether or not the waist strap was out.

The LGD is, for me, quite a minimal bag compared to my usual choices. I love that I can take this bag on a walk without my entire back getting sweaty as would happen with a backpack. I really love the buckle pocket because it is great for my very 3D lip balms and whatnot. It is a great choice for when you really don’t need much but you have one or two larger items with you, like a packable jacket and a book. Or a lunch container and a short water bottle. Or a first aid kit and hat/gloves.

Cristina and others, I would love to know of further experiences with the LGD as a sling bag. I am in the market for one, and the LGD pushes certain buttons but I am very curious about the comfort level as a sling. I know someone earlier wrote that it took some adjustments and it was comfortable, but it wasn't exactly an enthusiastic endorsement of its use as a sling.

Any comments or observations would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

I am probably not the best person to answer this question because I have no intention of carrying this bag as a sling (edited to add: except when asked of course!). I use a very comfortable TB shoulder strap with it, and also the in-built waist belt is very comfortable as a waist belt.

That said, as a sling I don’t see any major problems as long as the straps are kind of tight in sling mode. If the strap is looser, the strap is slippery enough that the bag does slide down with gravity, and the angle of the waist strap means that the bag sits at an angle away from the body when it is down at my side.
      Edited to add: do regular sling bags have grippy pads or straps in any way? Or padded straps? I’m so curious.

I hope this is helpful!

Originally posted by tdivcr View Post
      Cristina and others, I would love to know of further experiences with the LGD as a sling bag. I am in the market for one, and the LGD pushes certain buttons but I am very curious about the comfort level as a sling. I know someone earlier wrote that it took some adjustments and it was comfortable, but it wasn't exactly an enthusiastic endorsement of its use as a sling.

Last edited by Cristina; 05-20-2021, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Hi there...I think that was my review on sling carry you're referring to...

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...714#post331714

The bag is still new to me, but other than test packing, I have ONLY used the LGD as a sling bag so far. I had bought a used/disco'd Tom Bihn Buzz sling bag at one point, to try, but it didn't fit me at all. The padded/structured strap didn't work across my chest.

The waist strap on the LGD is designed for waist carry and oh-by-the-way you can sling it...so it's a very different fit/function.

So I carried it, weighted, for a walk the first time and then took it with me on a road trip/vacation last week...
        I had it in the car and would grab and go wherever I went with it, carried sling style, including on my 3+ hour wander around botanical gardens. After some practice, I settled into a 'size' that felt good and I mostly lifted it up & over my head instead of unbuckling it... but when I was doing a bit of tide pooling/rock balancing, I snugged it tighter so it wouldn't throw me off...and when I took it off used like that, I unbuckled it.

So overall, I found it fine as a sling, keeping in mind I have little to no experience with true sling bags. I carried it snugged high on my back.

The waist strap is unpadded webbing where it crosses the shoulder, so it's not something I'd probably carry that way with a tanktop or anything...
        So the actual fit/feel will really depend on the shape of your body/neck/shoulders/traps.

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...249#post332249

Hope that helps a bit - please let me know if there's anything else I can comment on.

ETA: It's in my first review, but I have a couple of the original Side Effects with the same built in waist strap system and used them a lot this past year, for long pandemic distanced walks through town. That worked great for that use so I wasn't particularly looking for another fanny pack, especially one so big, because I wasn't out taking hikes in the woods or anything.... that's part of why I started with the evaluation as a sling bag, but since I've never actually had a specifically designed sling bag, I'm not sure what normal evaluation criteria is - so I viewed it all as exploratory.
        I can say that after carrying it for my roadtrip last week, I'm way more comfortable with the idea of it than when I read the specs and first opened the box... keeping in mind that I have a choice of many many many bags when I walk out the door, so I can get super specific on bag per occasion

The Luminary family will probably stay as my primary compact urban backpack; the original Side Effects as my walk around the neighborhood fanny pack; the Synapse/Synik/Brain Bags for work/travel with laptop(s); Shadow Guide for grocery walking and maybe biking... the Side Kick and DLBC are my urban non-backpack bags... so the LGD is feeling like a car trip, multi-use type of bag...where you're going from the grocery to the hotel to the restaurrant to the quick hike, etc etc.
        All still preliminary in my head, since I haven't had it very long
        Last edited by G42; 05-20-2021, 02:58 PM.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

G42 Thanks. Yes it was your post. Your response here is very helpful. I also have limited sling bag use. I bought one, like the concept, but am not happy with the configuration of the one I bought. I seem to use it as an errand or appointment bag where I carry sunglasses, reading glasses, a Kindle or book, and small notebook. The volume of the LGD looks about right, but I think the shape and configuration are more to my needs than my current sling. I was more concerned about how it rides on one’s back, and from the experience you describe it seems to work well.

Thanks again for your response.

Comment

I wanted to update with the water bottle holder I have added to the LGD. The LGD FAQ reveals that Nik is working on a water bottle holder for the LGD, but in the meantime I modified a MOLLE webbing water bottle holder. I cut the top and a couple of extra straps off it and threaded the side cinch strap through it.

What I like about it is that it sits on the bag all the time and it does not interfere with any of the straps or functionality of the bag. I wish it sat higher on the bag but it works pretty well otherwise.

My 16oz Contigo is a little too tall:
            Homemade water bottle cage with 16 oz bittle

Here is my 12oz Contigo inside, it fits better:

Homemade water bottle cage
            Last edited by Cristina; 06-10-2021, 11:10 PM.

Comment

G42 I also have limited sling bag use. I bought one, like the concept, but am not happy with the configuration of the one I bought. I seem to use it as an errand or appointment bag where I carry sunglasses, reading glasses, a Kindle or book, and small notebook. The volume of the LGD looks about right, but I think the shape and configuration are more to my needs than my current sling. I was more concerned about how it rides on one’s back, and from the experience you describe it seems to work well.
              For what it's worth: I received my LGD today (hooray!) and while it's a fantastic bag I'm finding it's not quite for me and will likely be returning it (boo!) ... mainly because it doesn't work for me as a sling bag. The volume and features are great, but it's simply too boxy and awkward to carry as a sling for me. (The material may have something to do with it - I ordered the Beaver Camo version and had forgotten how stiff 1000 Cordura is, and while it may break in and become more supple over time it's not something I want to commit to right now.)
              Last edited by MisterJacques; 07-19-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cristina;n333014]I wanted to update with the water bottle holder I have added to the LGD. The LGD FAQ reveals that Nik is working on a water bottle holder for the LGD, but in the meantime I modified a MOLLE webbing water bottle holder. I cut the top and a couple of extra straps off it and threaded the side cinch strap through it.

What I like about it is that it sits on the bag all the time and it does not interfere with any of the straps or functionality of the bag. I wish it sat higher on the bag but it works pretty well otherwise."

Hey Cristina, thanks so much for this really thorough review and I'm into this water bottle hack. I also wish there were more internal pockets (why why why not?) and a solid external bottle holder. What is the use of a stashed-away bottle of water? Why would you gobble up space inside a bag when it's so easy to carry it outside, especially, in a hip pack, which is designed to be worn on the go, vs a suitcase-type bag. I want to be able to grab, drink, and holster my bottle on the go. The bottle pocket they're offering now seems silly. I have no interest in a water bottle holder that bangs around on the belt and releases the bottle when I remove the bag. This is where I wish TB bags were more technical and less suburban. I have a PERFECT small hip back from High Above that features—even in its tiny dimensions—little cords to which one can externally attach a jacket, and also a GREAT bottle holder that holds the bottle very securely. If only it were big enough to schlep more stuff...

What is the molle bottle holder you used? Is it the Rothco lightweight molle bottle holder? Thanks and be well.
                Last edited by debschwartz1; Today, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X