Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,411   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, Arlene31H3.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the aeronaut, co-pilot and field journal notebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irisria
    replied
    thanks!

thanks for posting the pics of your bags together maverick!

i've been admiring the co-pilot for a while now, but not really sure it will meet my needs for a work bag... it was nice to see its scale in comparison with an aeronaut (which i bought for hubby) - it appears larger than i imagined it, so it may be ok for the work stuff i cart around.

Leave a comment:

• Nana8
    replied
    The Synapse would serve you well if you opt not to use the padded organizer pouch and use instead padded "wrap" thingy purchased from a camera store. Not sure how to describe these thingys but they are about 1/8 of an in. thick, have velcro tabs on all 4 corners and you wrap your camera like a package. Not great for grabbing quickly but great protection for traveling.

In the absence of the TB camera insert (ahem!) I use these to wrap camera body (D90) and a couple of extra lenses along with flash. I still have plenty of room for all of the other "stuff" I seem to find necessary to my existence (lol). Just a thought!

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by dclawyer View Post
    I will be going to Cairo and plan to take the Aeronaut plus one other bag. The Co-pilot would be enough except I want to take an SLR and a pocket camera along with an iPad. I am leaning towards the Synapse. The Synapse has no padding for my camera but if I place my raincoat at the bottom I think that would give it some padding. Another option would be the Zephyr which does have padding. I don't really feel I need a traditional camera bag. Any thoughts?
    Why not use a padded organizer pouch in the MacBook Air SuperDrive size for your camera(s) as shown in Fat Crip's post in the Ristretto, iPad, Camera thread? This would work for either of the bags you mention, and in the case of the Synapse you could stow this in the small pocket inside the main compartment.

One thing I like about the Synapse is being able to secure the bag as shown in the 'Locking' zippers on the Synapse thread. (I use the option 2 method, with split rings such as linked in my post at the end of that thread.)

moriond

Leave a comment:

• jostber
    replied
    The Co-Pilot might be a bit small if you want to carry gear with some size, but for smaller items it is great. Another option might be the Imago or The Buzz. They are 13.5 and 14 litres respectively and will fit an Ipad with more stiff.

The Synapse is much bigger, but great if you would like carry more stuff like clothes. The Zephyr has file dividers and is mainly aimed at Business use I believe. It might suit for this as well, maybe a Zephyr owner can jump in on this.

In Cairo as in any big city you should also focus on security for the items. An advantage with the Buzz is that you can also carry it on your front in large crowds and buses and likewise. That can be convenient if you plan to move around a lot.

Leave a comment:

• dclawyer
    replied
    I will be going to Cairo and plan to take the Aeronaut plus one other bag. The Co-pilot would be enough except I want to take an SLR and a pocket camera along with an iPad. I am leaning towards the Synapse. The Synapse has no padding for my camera but if I place my raincoat at the bottom I think that would give it some padding. Another option would be the Zephyr which does have padding. I don't really feel I need a traditional camera bag. Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Originally posted by dclawyer View Post
    Maverick

These are great images. Thank you for sharing them. Were these the only bags you took? How full was your Aeronaut? It looks half empty. I am going to Egypt on BA from IAD this month and am deciding what bags to take.
    hi dclawyer!

the aeronaut, co-pilot and field journal notebook was all i took - no checked bags.

my aeronaut was pretty full going to india, and very stuffed coming back. it appears a little "flattened" because i put a camping chair in there that widens the footprint of the aeronaut, but it was stuffed to the gills coming back.

Leave a comment:

• dclawyer
    replied
    Maverick

These are great images. Thank you for sharing them. Were these the only bags you took? How full was your Aeronaut? It looks half empty. I am going to Egypt on BA from IAD this month and am deciding what bags to take.

Leave a comment:

• Nana8
    replied
    Awesome! I am so looking forward to seeing them!

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Originally posted by Nana8 View Post
    Thank you so much, maverick! Amazing photos! I love "traveling" via photo when I can't travel in person and your photos truly "take us there"!
    i wish i had more time to go around town and get pictures - i enjoyed being able to do that in amsterdam (last year, i think). we're planning a trip to the u.k. in april - i'll get some pictures around town then.

Leave a comment:

• Nana8
    replied
    Thank you so much, maverick! Amazing photos! I love "traveling" via photo when I can't travel in person and your photos truly "take us there"!

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Originally posted by Shiva View Post
    hey maverick: fab pictures. and what is the rant about Indira Gandhi airport?
    the head shot there was quite startling: somewhere between sphinx, cleopatra, and indian art!
    heh - i've posted it here in the travel tips forum.

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Originally posted by geogecko View Post
    Great pictures Maverick! Love the India shots, especially the boys selling the street food.

I bet you got some interesting looks taking some of those pictures of the bags, almost like taking pictures of kids, except they don't fuss or complain, and they always seem to be smiling!
    hehe - the only place where people stopped and looked at me curiously was at dulles airport. :)

Leave a comment:

• geogecko
    replied
    Great pictures Maverick! Love the India shots, especially the boys selling the street food.

I bet you got some interesting looks taking some of those pictures of the bags, almost like taking pictures of kids, except they don't fuss or complain, and they always seem to be smiling!

Leave a comment:

• Shiva
    replied
    hey maverick: fab pictures. and what is the rant about Indira Gandhi airport?
    the head shot there was quite startling: somewhere between sphinx, cleopatra, and indian art!

Leave a comment:

• Jenne
    replied
    I have a delicate digestive system, but since it's finicky no matter where I am or what I eat (apparently,) I have been known to take risks! I do avoid tap water, though!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X