Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,583   Posts: 188,374   Members: 6,553   Active Members: 307
Welcome to our newest member, articulate.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some first impressions of the Paradigm and Zeitgeist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandcache View Post
    Last minute question… Does the small or medium cafe bag Freudian slip fit in the Paradigm or the Zeitgeist? :-)
    I'll put up some pictures that will give you a better sense of the fit. (Sorry not to populate the FS s but work is kind of busy right now.). I'll also show for comparison the (redesigned Sprout) in 1050d Ballistic Nylon Aubergine/Northwest Sky, Zeitgeist 400d Halcyon Nightwalk/Black/Northwest Sky and Paradigm in 525d Ballistic Nylon Aubergine/Northwest Sky. These bags were provided to me by Tom Bihn with no restrictions on any review comments I should choose to make. It's easier to show the size of the Sprout's inside in inverted view, since the front face of the bag slopes down from the top zipper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	907.7 KB ID:	335805
    The 3 bags (Sprout, Zeitgeist and Paradigm) have similar heights (easier to see in later inverted view of Sprout), but the Sprout is wider. There's an earlier set of comparisons that I made between the original Sprout (in 1050d Aubergine/Steel that I purchased separately) in February 2018 in the Hack My Sprout thread. I also showed some pictures of how I could pack the Sprout with the (retired) Aether Packing Cubes for Mini and Small Yeoman Duffel in the The New Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes thread (to carry a lunch box, thermos, and other items) along with a Mini Yeoman Duffel. More pictures of the original Sprout's debut are in The Sprout - a Childrens Backpack thread from March 2016. Detailed instructions on how I modified the redesigned Sprout's backpack straps to fit even larger users (or heavy outerwear) appear in my post #407 dated 06-12-2018 in the 2018 Wish List thread.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0280.JPG Views:	0 Size:	811.5 KB ID:	335806
    Here are pictures of the Medium and Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slips in the Zeitgeist (Grass Medium CB FS) and Paradigm (Cloud Small CB FS). The inverted Sprout is shown to the left. Below the top row of bags are a soft cover A4 sized Rhodia Notebook next to US letter size paper sheets. (A4 paper is taller and narrower than US letter size paper). A sheet of letter size paper is comparable to the height of the Medium Cafe Bag FS, although, if you stick a sheet into one of the back pockets of the Medium CB Freudian Slip, the top of the paper will stick up slightly above the top of the FS.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0282.JPG Views:	0 Size:	767.6 KB ID:	335807
    This is intended to show that the A4 Rhodia notebook is too wide to fit into the back pockets of the Paradigm. I can warp it and force it in, and you may be able to get a few individual A4 sheets in, but those back pockets were not designed to hold A4 paper, and the wider US letter paper will not fit -- use the main compartment if you want to carry this size of paper and reserve this pocket for tablets, and smaller notebooks (e.g. A5). The Paradigm design has slightly more taper to the top than the Zeitgeist, so the fit to A4 paper in the main compartment is tighter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0283.JPG Views:	0 Size:	728.2 KB ID:	335808

This is what that A4 Rhodia notebook looks like lying on top of the back pocket. The corners are slightly pinched by the narrowing at the top of the bag.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0284.JPG Views:	0 Size:	911.2 KB ID:	335809
    It's easier to put into the Zeitgeist, which tapers less at the top (only an issue because the height of A4 paper extends to where these backpacks narrow).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0285.JPG Views:	0 Size:	952.6 KB ID:	335810
    For the Sprout, you can even insert it into the internal pocket, although putting the A4 notebook inside the main compartment directly takes the corners down a bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0281.JPG Views:	0 Size:	750.4 KB ID:	335811
    US Letter size paper width is even more challenging, but can fit -- tightest in the Paradigm at the top corners.

Finishing up with Grab Bag, also supplied to me by the Tom Bihn folks. This one seems to be Olive Cordura. For comparison, I'm showing a Luminary 12 in the top row instead of a Sprout. This is taller (and actually wider) so the Medium CB FS would not be as tight a fit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0288.JPG Views:	0 Size:	913.5 KB ID:	335813
    Grab bag is turned inside out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0289.JPG Views:	0 Size:	921.9 KB ID:	335814
    Here's the angled inverted view: lining is light cream. Material looks like Olive Cordura (doesn't seem to have the hatching of Boreal)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0290.JPG Views:	0 Size:	945.0 KB ID:	335816
    The Grab Bag seems closest in size to the Small Snake Charmer (shown here in Monarch Halcyon)

HTH

moriond

Comment

A month in, and I wanted to add that I appreciate the Zeitgeist even more as time goes by, although I'm not carrying it as a daily commuter bag. It has earned a coveted spot near my front door. It's great for transporting books, for instance, and its small size makes me comfortable taking it places where I would feel weird with a full-sized backpack; for example, to religious services (where I bring my personal prayerbook, for no better reason than that I purchased it during the period of the pandemic when everything was on Zoom). I hope this bag catches on and stays in production! I am SO tempted to buy another colorway during the next offering in case it is discontinued, but I'm trying to resist that impulse!

Click image for larger version  Name:	zeitgeist with book.jpg Views:	6 Size:	249.1 KB ID:	336261
      Last edited by bchaplin; 09-18-2021, 06:43 AM.
      ----
      All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
      Edmund Burke

Comment

The Zeitgeist has really grown on me. Although I was initially attracted to the Paradigm, I find I'm not really using it daily. The ZG is the one I'm grabbing. I just had to get over the initial pictures of the retro color combinations, that wasn't for me. In black halcyon, its quite sleek and modern looking.
        Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Comment

Working...
        X