Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,635   Posts: 189,015   Members: 6,619   Active Members: 298
MapGuy
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, MapGuy.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zeitgeist and Paradigm for taller folks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zeitgeist and Paradigm for taller folks?

Hi folks, with so many excellent reviews of the Zeitgeist and Paradigm I add just a few impressions here. Today the bags arrived (courtesy by Tom Bihn) and my first idea was: never leave the Daylight Backpack and the Paragon unattended...

Click image for larger version  Name:	zg_pd-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	364.0 KB ID:	335382

But both are real cuties...

Click image for larger version  Name:	zg_pd-6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	414.2 KB ID:	335383

I had no time to really test the bags yet, but what makes me really happy is that my 11'' Macbook Air (back from the good old days...) fits in the designated department (of both bags)! Just the right size!

Click image for larger version  Name:	zg_pd-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.0 KB ID:	335385

Click image for larger version  Name:	zg_pd-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	469.7 KB ID:	335384

Designwise I am more with the Zeitgeist...

Click image for larger version  Name:	zg_pd-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	417.8 KB ID:	335386

But in terms of usage, the front pocket of the Paradigm is really handy. I was really happy to discover that my quite voluminous Primus commuter mug (14oz/0.4l) fits into the water bottle pocket!

Click image for larger version  Name:	zg_pd-7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	312.3 KB ID:	335387

Ok, now the most important questions: Can I wear these bags with my size? (6' / 183 cm). Here are two very short videos, how they look om my back. I had no issues with the straps although I have to pull them almost to the max so that the bag sits relatively high on my back to make the sternum strap come down.

First the Zeitgeist:

and here the Paradigm:

Ok, for a person who usually runs around with a 33l Shadow Guide for EDC the size of these bags is perhaps a bit unusual but it's not impossible ;)
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Aww what a lovely family of bags they make! Every review post heightens my Tom BIHN Anticipation Syndrome. I am REALLY looking forward to trying out each one.

As a taller person, do you find the straps sit flat on your shoulders?

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
      Hi folks, with so many excellent reviews of the Zeitgeist and Paradigm I add just a few impressions here. Today the bags arrived (courtesy by Tom Bihn) and my first idea was: never leave the Daylight Backpack and the Paragon unattended...

Click image for larger version Name:	zg_pd-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	364.0 KB ID:	335382

But both are real cuties...

Click image for larger version Name:	zg_pd-6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	414.2 KB ID:	335383

I had no time to really test the bags yet, but what makes me really happy is that my 11'' Macbook Air (back from the good old days...) fits in the designated department (of both bags)! Just the right size!

Click image for larger version Name:	zg_pd-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.0 KB ID:	335385

Click image for larger version Name:	zg_pd-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	469.7 KB ID:	335384

Designwise I am more with the Zeitgeist...

Click image for larger version Name:	zg_pd-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	417.8 KB ID:	335386

But in terms of usage, the front pocket of the Paradigm is really handy. I was really happy to discover that my quite voluminous Primus commuter mug (14oz/0.4l) fits into the water bottle pocket!

Click image for larger version Name:	zg_pd-7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	312.3 KB ID:	335387

Ok, now the most important questions: Can I wear these bags with my size? (6' / 183 cm). Here are two very short videos, how they look om my back. I had no issues with the straps although I have to pull them almost to the max so that the bag sits relatively high on my back to make the sternum strap come down.

First the Zeitgeist:

and here the Paradigm:

Ok, for a person who usually runs around with a 33l Shadow Guide for EDC the size of these bags is perhaps a bit unusual but it's not impossible ;)
      Do you have the sternum strap pulled down as far as it will go? I'm wondering if these will work for me given that I definitely won't be able to cinch the shoulder straps as tight as you have them (I also am 6').

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
        As a taller person, do you find the straps sit flat on your shoulders?
        Almost. The outside egde lifts a little bit at the top and the back of my shoulders about 0.5 cm but the major part of the strap has contact with my shoulder.

current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Originally posted by John1970 View Post

Do you have the sternum strap pulled down as far as it will go? I'm wondering if these will work for me given that I definitely won't be able to cinch the shoulder straps as tight as you have them (I also am 6').
          Yes, I pulled them down as low as possible. My impression is that TB backpacks are meant to be worn rather high on the back. So even with the larger bags I always have to lower the sternum strap as far as possible to be able to wear the bags a bit lower.

Comment

This made me lol 😂😂😂

“never leave the Daylight Backpack and the Paragon unattended”

Comment

Bartleby, would it be too much of an imposition to ask you to wear the Daylight Backpack and the Paragon, as well?

It will help me see how regular size, yet lightweight, backpacks sits on you.
              backpack
              Forum Member
              Last edited by backpack; 08-21-2021, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
                Hi,
                bartleby
                Volunteer Moderator
                bartleby! I see what you did there! And it's true: it is a baby DLBP/Paragon, which is why I love the looks of it so much!

I second
                backpack
                Forum Member
                backpack 's request to model the DLBP & Paragon if it wouldn't be asking too much. Thank you! :)

Comment

Hi
                  backpack
                  Forum Member
                  backpack and
                  drs0043
                  Forum Member
                  drs0043, here you go:

First the Daylight Backpack:

The Paragon:

And the Synik 30:

As I said: I lowered the sternum strap as far as possible (except for the DLBP of course as it has no sternum strap). All were loaded with my Lenovo T460 Notebook and some clothes to simulate my daily carry.

If you have any further questions please let me know...

Comment

bartleby
                    Volunteer Moderator
                    bartleby thank you so much! This is great!

Comment

Thank you so much for your pics, they’re great! Loving the Zeitgeist and that black halcyon with island is now my first choice once preorders open. I’m a bit bummed they won’t be available until November since I have a trip the end of Sept but can’t wait!

Comment

Hi,
                        bartleby
                        Volunteer Moderator
                        bartleby . A question for you, now that you've probably had time to compare all three bags: the Paragon, the DLBP and the Zeitgeist.

For me, I had settled on the Paragon as my everyday commuter bag, and actually ended up getting a few of them so that I could alternate, since I walk long distances in the heat and feel like they should air out. But truth be told, the Paragon is on the large side for someone like me, who is 5'2", and also, it's usually only about 1/2 or 2/3 full.

The other day I tried the Zeitgeist and it was so much fun to carry something that small! Really, really nice, actually. But there was no extra space, and I like to have some spare room "just in case". It's making me pine for a bag between those two in size. With all the same features: rectangular or semi-rectangular shape, front slash pocket, back foam panel to give it some rigidity and carry a device, and the internal front pocket, which I find very handy.

The Daylight Backpack has some, but not all, of those features, and I could never make it work for me because it was hard to stack things vertically inside it without all the contents shlumping to the bottom, if you know what I mean., But I'm wondering if I should give it another try, in ballistic, if and when it's remade with the new Contour straps. Do you feel that it's comparable to the other two? There is something I like more about the Paragon, so I don't know if it's worth it to consider switching back.

(I don't carry a laptop, though sometimes I'll have an iPad Mini.)
                        ----
                        All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                        Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                          Hi,
                          bartleby
                          Volunteer Moderator
                          bartleby The Daylight Backpack has some, but not all, of those features, and I could never make it work for me because it was hard to stack things vertically inside it without all the contents shlumping to the bottom, if you know what I mean., But I'm wondering if I should give it another try, in ballistic, if and when it's remade with the new Contour straps. Do you feel that it's comparable to the other two? There is something I like more about the Paragon, so I don't know if it's worth it to consider switching back. (I don't carry a laptop, though sometimes I'll have an iPad Mini.)
                          Hi
                          bchaplin
                          Forum Member
                          bchaplin and sorry for the delay! That's a tough question! I do use the DLBP a lot because I love that it's so - light! But I mainly use it for shopping purposes or when I go for a walk or a lighter hike and I need some space for a water bottle a snack and a jacket or a sweater. What I struggle with on the DLBP are the straps. They tend to slip of my shoulders especially when the bag is (nearly) empty. When it is loaded this tends to be less of an issue but that is why I am looking very much forward for the DLBP with the Contour Straps. It then might also work as an EDC bag especially if you don't need a laptop compartment. My feeling is that as soon as you have a laptop compartment a backpack looses some of its versatility as it becomes more rigid and even when it is empty is needs more space. That's not much of an issue with the Paragon but for a multi-purpose backpack I'd still prefer the DLBP despite the strap issues. With regard to packing: As I said, I use it a lot for shopping (groceries etc.) and I had no issues with "shlumping" but that might be due to the fact that 3-D-stuff such as as a pack of rice, cereals or cans are easier to stack. My experience with using it for EDC stuff or office supplies is rather limited, unfortunately. But if I use it for that purpose, I add a Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip as an anti-shlumping device :)

Comment

Working...
                          X