Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,577   Posts: 188,303   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, QQYFodil79.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grab Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alexussery
    replied
    Originally posted by Skirata44 View Post
    Oh wow, that's a lot bigger than I thought it'd be. Definitely opens up some options as far as usage goes, although it also seems like its size might hurt it in terms of where it could fit in a bag. Any idea where it might go in a Synapse 25? I originally thought it could be a good side pocket pouch, but if an HLT 1 fits in the GB comfortably I think the Grab Bag might struggle to get into the pocket.
    Based on the sizing listed in the specs, it's the same length/height as a Large Snake Charmer, just a little thinner. Definitely too big for a side pocket, but I just put a fully packed LSC into the bottom pocket of my S25 and it fit very comfortably, so the GB should work just fine down there!

Leave a comment:

• badammann@gmail.com
    replied
    I do think half the fun will be the color combinations. There will be a race for the rare colors and fabrics.

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    Originally posted by Skirata44 View Post
    Oh wow, that's a lot bigger than I thought it'd be. Definitely opens up some options as far as usage goes, although it also seems like its size might hurt it in terms of where it could fit in a bag. Any idea where it might go in a Synapse 25? I originally thought it could be a good side pocket pouch, but if an HLT 1 fits in the GB comfortably I think the Grab Bag might struggle to get into the pocket.
    The official specs say it is 9.4" (w) x 5.3" (h) x 4.1" (d). I don't have a Synapse 25 but can try it out in my Synik 22 tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• Skirata44
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
    Is the bottom on this wider than the top? The product page makes it looks so, but your pictures make it look straight vertical.
    I think that's due to the angles in my photos - sorry! There is a taper. Excuse my messy kitchen in the background; maybe this helps a little? It still doesn't show it completely, but the bottom is definitely wider then the top part, just like the product photo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	shape.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	335563
    Last edited by bchaplin; 08-23-2021, 07:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    I think that Tom Bihn described the Grab Bag as a cross between a 3D cube and a Snake Charmer, but honestly, the only resemblance to the 3D cube I can see is that it has a single section. In shape and size, it's much closer to a Snake Charmer, just without the divider or mesh sides. Here is my UV 3D cube next to (or in) my Grab Bag.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cubes side by side.jpeg
Views:	582
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	335560

Click image for larger version

Name:	cubes nested.jpeg
Views:	517
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	335561

Leave a comment:

• sturbridge
    replied
    Is the bottom on this wider than the top? The product page makes it looks so, but your pictures make it look straight vertical.

Leave a comment:

• Melocious
    replied
    Thanks so much for the review! I am eagerly awaiting to try this bag (especially since fabric 3DOCs have been retired 😢) Any chance you could take a picture of a Grab Bag and 3DOC next to each other for comparison? TIA!

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    started a topic Grab Bags

Grab Bags

Disclaimer: I received this bag from Tom Bihn in exchange for my feedback.

Tom Bihn was kind enough to send me a Grab Bag, and I've been playing around with how I might use it in everyday packing. If others who have one would like to add to this thread, please feel free! (Or of course, separate threads are fine too.)

The particular Grab Bag I received looks like a combination of olive and something similar to wasabi. I'm not sure of the fabric, but it feels more like cloth than Halcyon or Ballistic; it could be cordura.

So far I've found it useful for:

(1) packing a Merino sweater to take to work. (I was previously bringing this in a packing cube shoulder bag, but the Grab Bag is a better fit):

Click image for larger version  Name:	sweater.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	173.5 KB ID:	335552

(2) corralling a punch of smaller pouches: in this case: an HLT-1 that has "just in case" supplies, a battery charger, some cords, and a small fold-out shopping bag. In other words, stuff that I don't need immediate access to, and would like to contain in one place:

Click image for larger version  Name:	pouches.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	184.0 KB ID:	335551

The Grab Bag will fit nicely on the bottom of my Zeitgeist or Paragon. Compared to the Snake Charmer, I'm liking its single open space. In Halcyon or something washable, it could conceivably be a tiny lunch box, a holder for snacks, or be put to a myriad of other uses I haven't thought of yet. I think the draw for this particular bag will be the colors. I'm excited to see which combos will be unearthed from the far shelves of the factory for producing these!
    Last edited by bchaplin; 08-23-2021, 04:51 PM.
Working...
X