Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,493   Posts: 187,443   Members: 6,454   Active Members: 329
Welcome to our newest member, bored_and_agitated.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grab Bag vs. Snake Charmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grab Bag vs. Snake Charmers

This is for anyone wondering how the new Grab Bag compares to the Small and Large Snake Charmer, size-wise. Even though the dimensions given on the TB website are almost the same as the LSC, it really sits more between the two Snake Charmer sizes.

Which makes me happy, since it fits (horizontally) into one of the front compartments of my Western Flyer. The LSC didn't - maybe because it's stiffer and/or the design of the GB is bit more round and flexible.

Planning for a trip and looking forward to using it both as a packing cube and as a shoulder bag.

Not sure what version Large SC you have, but I think that the first version of those (before there was two sizes) was a touch bigger than what became the large... that might be it or it just may be the shape

moriond would know more details

I have a new Solaris LSC and a GB and the LSC does seem just a touch longer, but it could also be how it curves out differently
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
      Not sure what version Large SC you have, but I think that the first version of those (before there was two sizes) was a touch bigger than what became the large... that might be it or it just may be the shape
      Good point. I dug out an old shipping notice (from January 2016) and it really only says "Snake Charmer" on there. Trying to measure the base, I end up somewhere between 240 mm (which matches the current LSC) and almost 250 mm.

For comparison: Trying to measure the base of the Grab Bag I end up with about 225 mm which is less than the official 240 mm. So maybe the side handles are included in the width?

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post

moriond would know more details

I have a new Solaris LSC and a GB and the LSC does seem just a touch longer, but it could also be how it curves out differently
        I agree with dirkhaun that the Grab Bag is probably most similar to the Small Snake Charmer in size -- I posted a comparison of my Grab Bag (in what looks like Olive Cordura) with a Monarch Halcyon Small Snake Charmer. (Monarch was one of the limited edition Halcyon colors that appeared with Fjord and Sitka in the blog announcements. My favorite color of these is Fjord, which sits in my Synapse 25 bottom pocket as a Large Snake Charmer.

The new models of Snake Charmers (small and large) debuted the same time as the Little Swift Encore did (around Thanksgiving 2016)., so a January 2016 purchase of a Snake Charmer would be the old, original design that Janine used as a “Diaper Charmer” There was a change of materials when the new snake charmers debuted — for the first time they made these in 200d Halcyon (including the limited edition colors that were still available at this time, as described above — they also issued Small and Large Travel Trays in those colors at that time), and they also used 1050d Cordura for the first time (colors like Azure and Orange 152). Before that Snake Charmers in the original size were traditionally made in 500d Cordura (used to line bags and also for the Brain Cells), and then in Parapack for a short time.

There’s a comparison of the old and new Snake Charmers that gochicken posted on 11-28-2016 in the New Snake Charmers thread. (You can also see my then-new Large Snake Charmer in Fjord). This is one of the comparison pictures in her post
        Click image for larger version  Name:	CEB2CC9E-C488-424A-96A5-FFB58E1EC4FD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	153.9 KB ID:	336005
        HTH,

moriond

Last edited by moriond; 09-08-2021, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X