Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,399   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, FlorBeadle.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T30 one bag travel: Senior Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T30 one bag travel: Senior Edition

Just home from Florida where I joined my daughter’s family for a theme park extravaganza. (so much fun, but happy to be home now recovering!) This was my first trip with my T30 – actually my first trip ever with just a backpack.

Background: I’m a 67 year old woman with shoulder issues. I usually travel with a small spinner and a S22, but with a recent shoulder flare up, I knew I wouldn’t be able to lift even a small spinner into the overhead compartment. Thus the T30…

I am a minimalistic packer so didn’t have an issue with packing light. My bag – clothing, swim wear, electronics, extra sandals, etc. – weighed in at just over 12 lbs. I used a padded hip belt and the sternum strap to distribute weight. A PCSB was my in-flight bag with my iPad, Kindle, headphones, etc. That fit in the bottom pocket of the T30 with room to spare. Once on the plane, I put the PCSB in the seatback pocket and fit the T30 under the seat. WIN!

Conclusions: First of all I love the Night walk halcyon. I’m sure people thought it odd when I took pictures and occasionally stroked the bag, but you Bihnions understand.

The top pocket gives structure to the bag, so that it doesn’t flop when it’s empty. I used the compression straps and was amazed at how much I could fit – almost as much as I fit in my 45L Eagle Creek duffel. I could easily have fit another day or two of clothing!

I had discounted the side and top pockets as they seemed counter-intuitive to me, but in actual practice, they were excellent. I sometimes have to think about what goes in what pocket on my S22, but on this bag the three pockets are unique so items are easy to find. I saved the long side pocket for my water bottle, and used the shorter side pocket for travel tray with chargers, etc. The top pocket is so convenient. My Hobonichi journal and sunglasses fit in here easily, with room for phone and watch when I went through security.

With my shoulder problems and arthritis, even a 12 lbs. bag is heavy. But I hand carried it a few times with side handle which was very comfortable. I definitely prefer the placement of this handle over most duffle's top handles- gives a more streamlined look to your carry. I wore the bag primarily as a backpack and, with the hip belt and sternum strap distributing the weight, it was remarkably comfortable. It felt heavy, but I had no back or shoulder pain while carrying or afterwards. And I loved not having to rely on other people to assist me with the bag on the flight or on stairways.

Final Thoughts: The bag is definitely pricey, especially for us retired people, but the quality and functionality are great. I don’t think an internal frame is needed for the T30, but for the price, I’d love to see a padded hip belt included.
    Last edited by Traveltech; 11-05-2021, 01:15 PM.
    Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Nice review, and great to hear you had a nice trip!

I was particularly interested in how you used your PCSB, because that's almost exactly how I'm planning future travel … I have an Aeronaut30 I bought last year for one-bag travel, and a Side Kick (which is shorter and a hair wider than the PCSB) I carry my iPad Mini, Kindle, and other incidentals in … I haven't had a chance to do this yet but for a trip in early December I plan to stow the SK in one of the side pockets of the A30 for running through the airport but pop it out during the flight as an easily accessible personal item. Glad to see a similar setup worked for you! :)
    ---
    My Bags: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe BagSide Kick Co-Pilot Aeronaut 30
    Canary Large Shop Bag Dawn Large Shop BagAubergine Everyday Cubelet
    With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Comment

Originally posted by Traveltech View Post
      Just home from Florida where I joined my daughter’s family for a theme park extravaganza. (so much fun, but happy to be home now recovering!) This was my first trip with my T30 – actually my first trip ever with just a backpack.

Background: I’m a 67 year old woman with shoulder issues. I usually travel with a small spinner and a S22, but with a recent shoulder flare up, I knew I wouldn’t be able to lift even a small spinner into the overhead compartment. Thus the T30…

I am a minimalistic packer so didn’t have an issue with packing light. My bag – clothing, swim wear, electronics, extra sandals, etc. – weighed in at just over 12 lbs. I used a padded hip belt and the sternum strap to distribute weight. A PCSB was my in-flight bag with my iPad, Kindle, headphones, etc. That fit in the bottom pocket of the T30 with room to spare. Once on the plane, I put the PCSB in the seatback pocket and fit the T30 under the seat. WIN!

Conclusions: First of all I love the Night walk halcyon. I’m sure people thought it odd when I took pictures and occasionally stroked the bag, but you Bihnions understand.

The top pocket gives structure to the bag, so that it doesn’t flop when it’s empty. I used the compression straps and was amazed at how much I could fit – almost as much as I fit in my 45L Eagle Creek duffel. I could easily have fit another day or two of clothing!

I had discounted the side and top pockets as they seemed counter-intuitive to me, but in actual practice, they were excellent. I sometimes have to think about what goes in what pocket on my S22, but on this bag the three pockets are unique so items are easy to find. I saved the long side pocket for my water bottle, and used the shorter side pocket for travel tray with chargers, etc. The top pocket is so convenient. My Hobonichi journal and sunglasses fit in here easily, with room for phone and watch when I went through security.

With my shoulder problems and arthritis, even a 12 lbs. bag is heavy. But I hand carried it a few times with side handle which was very comfortable. I definitely prefer the placement of this handle over most duffle's top handles- gives a more streamlined look to your carry. I wore the bag primarily as a backpack and, with the hip belt and sternum strap distributing the weight, it was remarkably comfortable. It felt heavy, but I had no back or shoulder pain while carrying or afterwards. And I loved not having to rely on other people to assist me with the bag on the flight or on stairways.

Final Thoughts: The bag is definitely pricey, especially for us retired people, but the quality and functionality are great. I don’t think an internal frame is needed for the T30, but for the price, I’d love to see a padded hip belt included.
      Thank you for this review! I had pre-ordered a T30, but second-guessed myself during our September Hawaii trip, and canceled my order. In my head I’m still young & strong, but I’m a 62yo female with joints that don’t work as well as they used to. Hearing that, with proper planning, I could one-bag it and it might fit under the seat, rather than lifting into an overhead bin, makes me want to give it a try. With sternum strap and padded hip belt, I think I’ll be able to do it. (If it doesn’t work for me, my kids will be happy to inherit more TB!)

Comment

Great review, thank you. Sounds like you nailed the packing!

My shoulders need assistance from a padded hip belt at a very low threshold and I often feel I’m the minority on this. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Originally posted by Traveltech View Post

Comment

Great review, thank you! I am eager to take my Techonaut 30 somewhere. It almost made the cut on my last trip (by train) but for various reasons had to use something else. I end up going almost everywhere by car, and then it hardly seems like a real test of the packing system.
          ----
          All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
          Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
          X