Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,933   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 181
Welcome to our newest member, Zmanlane1.

Review of Le Petit Derriere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bchaplin
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2010

Review of Le Petit Derriere

Here's my review of the LPD.
    I had a lot of trouble with these product names -- hope all the spellings are correct.
    Was the "Grande" changed to "Grand" at some point, or am I mixing it up... ?
    Anyway, happy to answer any questions.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke
  • Cristina
    Volunteer Moderator
    • Jan 2017

Great review! I imagine I will wish it had more internal organisation like the Side Kick since it is so similar in size.

I can’t speak to any LGD name changes but in French “derrière” is masculine so you would need “le” and “grand” (“la” would go with “grande” if “derrière” were feminine) so I imagine it’s related to that.
    Last edited by Cristina; 01-23-2022, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• bchaplin
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
      I can’t speak to any LGD name changes but in French “derrière” is masculine so you would need “le” and “grand” (“la” would go with “grande” if “derrière” were feminine) so I imagine it’s related to that.
      The name does present some issues. Technically, we shouldn't be saying "the LGD" or "my LPD", because it's redundant. But doing it the opposite way makes it sound like an Apple product.
      Last edited by bchaplin; 01-23-2022, 12:57 PM.
      ----
      All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
      Edmund Burke

Comment

• Cristina
        Volunteer Moderator
        • Jan 2017

Good point! Like saying PIN number.

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post

The name does present some issues. Technically, we shouldn't be saying "the LGD" or "my LPD", because it's redundant. But doing it the opposite way makes it sound like an Apple product.

Comment

• Cooner
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2021

Thanks for the thorough review! I kind of pricked my ears up at the announcement of a smaller LGD. But in all honesty, right now when i travel with my iPad Mini and its accessories, the Side Kick is JUST big enough and I don't think I'd need it any bigger or less organized, and if I'm carrying anything more I'd probably go with my Medium Cafe Bag or my Co-Pilot if necessary. Plus I don't really find hip packs very comfortable or practical to wear. Looks like it might be a good fit for lots of folks, though!

My big internal debate right now is whether or not I want to try to grab a Luminary 15 in my color when they're restocked. Sounds like it'd be nice for some urban adventures where I need to carry a few things but have them out of the way. But I'm not sure when or how often I'll be able to do such urban adventuring anytime soon. XD
          ---
          My Bags: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe BagSide Kick Luminary 15Co-Pilot Aeronaut 30
          Aubergine Small Cafe Bag
          Everyday CubeletCanary Large Shop Bag Dawn Large Shop Bag

Comment

• bchaplin
            Forum Member
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Cooner View Post
            My big internal debate right now is whether or not I want to try to grab a Luminary 15 in my color when they're restocked. Sounds like it'd be nice for some urban adventures where I need to carry a few things but have them out of the way. But I'm not sure when or how often I'll be able to do such urban adventuring anytime soon. XD
            The Luminary 15 is amazing; definitely recommend. I like the side-access system for devices that go in the back panel.

----
            Edmund Burke

Comment

• moriond
              Volunteer Moderator
              • Jul 2004

Cooner I like the Luminary a lot. My personal wishlist post for the Luminary is that they’d bring back the Aether Packing cubes for the Stowaway, because if you want the side access pockets to work easily for stationary as well as smaller devices (if you’re not always carrying a large laptop or iPad, or if your device is big enough that you have to move it into the main compartment of the Luminary, these cubes work amazingly well. So say you have an iPad Mini, or you are storing A5 notebooks or a Kindle separately and want to easily stack them I the vertical space of the Luminary 15 back laptop pocket. These cubes are exactly sized for doing this in a way that the A5 Ghost Whale pouches are not (see the pictures in my post of these laid out against the back of the Luminary). The smooth Aether material and the webbing loop at the top of each pouch (which are positioned along the zippered opening of the Luminary back pocket) make this work easily, (I obviously have a set of these even though I never got the Stowaway)
              Last edited by moriond; 01-25-2022, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• b1gsky
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2015

Same for me. The L15 is the only bigger backpack left where the straps might work for me (new straps on Synapse etc don't fit me). I had the L12, loved the side pockets and device pocket, but the straps didn't fit my shoulders either. I'm not sure if the shape of the straps of the L15 is different enough that it might work... I know they are more elongated and less curved so they might fit differently. It would be an expensive experiment though. Maybe I should stick with the DLBP I already have.

Comment

• moriond
                  Volunteer Moderator
                  • Jul 2004

This is a quick comment, because my LPD just arrived, but I find this size more comfortable to wear around my waist. Basically, on most of my accessories I find the backing too stiff and long to wear comfortably around the waist. And I’m always having to adjust for shorter waist straps.

If you want to use the LPD to carry lunch boxes, for example, it will neatly carry two of them and also have some extra depth left over.So I’m quickly uploading some pics that I took. Also, with the Halcyon fabric (400d Black with Solaris interior) the flexed fit wearing the bag is more comfortable for me:

Sorry, will have to fix photo uploads later, but these are pictures or two,standard lunchboxes. I can load them in with utensils and fit a Mini iPad inside
                  Le Petit Dernière Black Halcyon Solaris
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by moriond; 01-25-2022, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• Cooner
                    Forum Member
                    • Apr 2021

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                    The Luminary 15 is amazing; definitely recommend. I like the side-access system for devices that go in the back panel.
                    Waaaah, okay, I managed to order one in Burnt Orange. We'll see how it goes! :D
                    ---
                    My Bags: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe BagSide Kick Luminary 15Co-Pilot Aeronaut 30
                    Aubergine Small Cafe Bag
                    Everyday CubeletCanary Large Shop Bag Dawn Large Shop Bag

Comment

• bchaplin
                      Forum Member
                      • Sep 2010

Waaaah, okay, I managed to order one in Burnt Orange. We'll see how it goes! :D
                      Let me know how it works out for you! I love my Luminary 15. I used to carry it more regularly on the train and would get a lot of compliments from complete strangers. (Though that was in prepandemic times, when we were more social and more chatty on my commuter rail.)
                      Last edited by bchaplin; 01-25-2022, 01:10 PM.
                      ----
                      Edmund Burke

Comment

• moriond
                        Volunteer Moderator
                        • Jul 2004

More on LPD from another thread
                        Originally posted by moriond
                        @father_dawg Le Petit Derrière as a lunchbox. I know that I’va already hurriedly posted a quick picture I’d my 400d Black Halcyon PGD with solar interior holding two standard size lunch boxes side by side, but here’s another set of photos, assuming that everything is for me. The lunch box is 6.25” x 4.75” x 2" (16x12x5 cm), the Zojirushi Stainless Steel Travel Mug with Tea Leaf Filter, 11-Ounce/0.34-Liter, Pink Champagne is at the end, and these are two from a set of OXO Good Grips 4-Piece Mini POP Container Set stacked vertically.

I like to use the Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch for the utensils, but you can use a Small Ghost Whale organizer Pouch instead. The utensils and small plates (Melamine Tidbit Toppers) can fit in the long back pocket, which can also easily hold chopsticks. Other height beverage containers that also fit are shown.
                        Originally posted by moriond
                        I’m showing the packed up,LPD here

I’d prefer to carry this by the handle or on a shoulder strap. While the shorter length and flexible Halcyon makes it easier to wear around the waist, especially with this size., and while I do find it more comfortable to wear this way than the LGD, either hand carry or shoulder carry would be my preference.

moriond
                        Last edited by moriond; 01-27-2022, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• moriond
                          Volunteer Moderator
                          • Jul 2004

Dear All,

i haven’t seen a review of Le Petie Derrière apart from @bchaplin’s linked post, and a quick YouTube video. I put up some initial impressions with the lunchbox pictures above, but I realize this was not a full review. However, because I am a frequent user if the Side Kick, my mind naturally goes to those situations where it is too small /narrow to accommodate certain uses — hence the emphasis on being able to hold lunch boxes, but also instances where I can’t use it to hold thicker journals — or sketchbooks — and also the fact that I can’t carry my 11” iPad Pro in my Side Kick, but I can fit it into Le Petit Derrière Doubtless there will be others worried about using carry larger headsets, etc.First, here’s a YouTube review of the same model LPD as I have (400d Black Halcyon and Solaris)

For quick context, back in 2017, when using the Field Journal Notebook, I mentioned that it was difficult to carry notebooks in the Side Kick because of width, and even the Leuchtturm1917 notebooks were too thick to easily carry, so I switched to the thin Nock Dot Dash Notebooks (top)to transfer occasional pages to the FJN

Notebooks and Side Kick width
                          Different notebooks (Nock Dot Dash and Midori Traveler refill) shown against Side Kick, with stapler option for inserting into FJN. The rest of the post discussed other options for paper transferred to,the FJN through its ring binder option, or using it to carry Sketchbooks (even thicker!) in the hacked FJN. All of these options can fit into the LPD, including my 11” iPad Pro. So these are all items that I cannot easily carry in the Side Kick (like the lunch boxes), but which easily fit into the LPD. There must be some people who wanted to carry around options like this (their iPad, sketching notebooks, lunch boxes, etc.or maybe larger headphones) that could use this feature of the LPD. But I haven’t seen this emphasized in any reviews yet
                          Notebooks for LPD
                          LPD and notebooks
                          LPD and notebooks
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by moriond; 01-29-2022, 12:36 AM.

Comment

• G42
                            Volunteer Moderator
                            • Sep 2017

I was in transit, so my LPD (courtesy of TB, my opinions are my own) reached California before I did.

Today was my first chance to take it out for a walk. For initial impression/consistency, I wore it as a sling bag, with the bag across my back, as I did with LGD that I discussed here:
                            https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...714#post331714

This bag I chose in Night Walk 400 halcyon with the new Moab 200d halcyon, partly to get a look at Moab and also because I really like 400d halcyon in general.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220131_220625366~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	338490

Since I was just going out for a quick urban 2.5mi walk, I didn't take much, just tossed in some representative stuff that I would typically carry.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220131_220708366.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	338486

front zip pocket:
                            small round squishy case with bluetooth headset
                            pepper spray

front clip pocket:
                            tissues
                            sunglasses

main compartment:
                            Paperwhite Kindle in case (case is long disco'd) - fits well in the open back pocket
                            Microlight 17oz/500mL water bottle - lays across the bottom of the bag
                            Kind bar

There was definitely room for anything small I could pick up along the way and easily would hold my long sleeve sunshirt folded/rolled, if I had wanted to bring it.
                            My mask was in my pocket, along with keys, phone, Nik's wallet - all of which could also have fit in the bag, but I use my pockets.
                            I had the side cinches pulled in a bit to tighten everything up, since it wasn't full.

This bag was more comfortable to carry sling style than LGD, probably because it's just overall a better size for my short self (5'4") and there's a limit to how much weight you can get in there.

I also put it on as a waist pack just to see how it felt and I'd be totally fine carrying it that way as well.
                            I have some of the original Side Effects with the built-in waist straps and often carry one for short urban walks when I only need to carry tissues, a small Nalgene, etc. This size LPD would be the size up for when I need more stuff, without the big jump to the LGD.

Overall, I'm happy with how they scaled the bag and really like it in halcyon.
                            Oh, and Moab is an awesome colour!

For the types of things I carry and when/how I'd use a waist bag, I'd chose this smaller LPD in halcyon vs a LGD in ballistic if I had to chose one for my lifestyle.

Based on some of the posts earlier in the thread, I did try it as a waist bag with my Night Walk T30 on my back and I definitely needed LPD on the front, since the T30 extends far enough down my body to interfere.

Since I had everything out, I tried attaching LPD to the top of the T30 with a small (or mini?) Hero Clip to the grab handle for when you need to fake one bag. It works, but swings around a lot. So I threaded one of the cinch ends through the T30 strap connector and let the loop end act as a stopper...that helped, but since it was only on one side it still swung around a bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220131_224303105._exported_1330_1643669306295.jpg Views:	0 Size:	900.0 KB ID:	338487

I also tried the same thing but attaching the Hero clip to the top most grab handle and put LPD waist straps through the grab handle & tightened it all up, which worked better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220131_224715673.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	338488

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220131_224734639.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	338489

And by clipping to both the top grab handles, doing the waist strap, and the cinch strap, it stabilizes it the most.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220131_225744237.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	338491

This was just a quick look and I don't have many random TB straps and bits with me to experiment more.

ETA: I tried the padded hip belt pocket on the strap whilst carrying sling style...it's a bit awkward for a water bottle but for some of the photogs out there, may be a cool way to carry one quick lens or lens cleaner & cloth
                            Last edited by G42; 01-31-2022, 02:34 PM.
                            +++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot+++

Comment

• drobeson
                              Forum Member
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                              Since I had everything out, I tried attaching LPD to the top of the T30 with a small (or mini?) Hero Clip to the grab handle for when you need to fake one bag. It works, but swings around a lot. So I threaded one of the cinch ends through the T30 strap connector and let the loop end act as a stopper...that helped, but since it was only on one side it still swung around a bit.
                              Not sure I fully understand all the ways you attached it, but it occurs to me that you could use the Heroclip to attach the LPD's grab handle to the T30's top handle, then run the LPD's waist strap around through the T30's luggage pass-through and cinch it tight. That seems like it might be pretty stable and not look too bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X