Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,824   Posts: 191,291   Members: 6,694   Active Members: 260
Welcome to our newest member, willydgil.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bummer, First Look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bummer, First Look

Various bits of Wayne's World and 'bummer dude' float in my head whenever I read this bag's name... hopefully it's now annoying all of you as well and maybe the theme song will leave my head and colonize yours instead (you're welcome).

I bought the Taiga 400d halcyon/Mountain Grey 210 Cerylon Bummer when it debuted and it arrived last night, so I tried it out on a walk this morning.

Inside the main compartment:
    -Eagle Creek flat pouch with a mask
    -16oz Nalgene water bottle (doesn't leak) laid on side
    -Ziplock with a hand sanitizer (because I don't trust it not to open)
    -hardcase for sunglasses or glasses

And then a packet of tissues in the front zip pocket plus my keys (not pictured)

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220703_184047597.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	340676

It all fits with some room to spare

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220703_192619446.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	340674

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220703_184008504.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	340675

Previously, I used the original Side Effect with the built-in waist strap as a bag when I would go out walking for a few hours - especially during early Covid when I was carrying more than just a water bottle.

The SE is 1.5L and the Bummer is bigger at 2.2L, but then noticeably smaller than Le Petit Derriere which is 4.6L.

As Chicagoan mentioned https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...650#post340650
    the lack of rain flaps on the main compartment zipper makes it quicker to access than LPD.

I find the built in waist strap generally more comfortable on this bag and the oSE then using a Gatekeeper waist strap.

I'll probably now use the Bummer as a first choice for strictly walking around and the oSE for when I may want to convert to cross body/shoulder bag on the same walk (rare) or the LPD for that and/or when I need more space.
    On trips where I might bring a newer SE, I'd bring a Gatekeeper waist strap just in case I wanted to use the SE as a waist pack.

ETA: Forgot to mention that the integrated strap management is nice. Took several minutes of fiddling to get the proper length, equally balanced on both sides, but for me this will be a 'set it & forget it' thing .

ETA2: I haven't worn it sling style yet, but I did briefly put it on that way to confirm that I'd probably leave the straps at the same adjustment.
    Last edited by G42; 07-03-2022, 01:40 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

This morning I wore the Bummer sling style, high up on my back, for an hour walk, carrying the same pack out as above and same strap setting (that may be because I carry the strap very high up).
    It's more comfortable, as expected, than LGD that I've carried sling style since it's quite a bit smaller and lighter.

The new small backpacks (Zeitgeist & Paradigm) are overall more comfortable to me than any fanny pack or sling because I feel more balanced in a pack, but sometimes I don't need the size, the heat of something on my back, or the chance of whacking into something. In those cases, the Bummer, SE, LPD, & LGD are more useful.
    I could also see using it in a fairly typical way, worn to the front, when traveling with the A/T30 on my back.

Overall, it's a keeper... Just wish that there had been some Night Walk leftover, though I do really like Taiga.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

G42 Thanks for the review. I'm drawn to fanny packs because I feel the same about carrying a backpack. Mostly, I just want water, and don'tneed a backpack. But I hate how water bottles feel in fanny packs sometimes. Any comment on how the 16oz bottle felt in this bag? Is this bag padded on the backside?

Was also hoping for some other Halcyon options. :(

Thank you.

Comment

Hey drs0043

Not sure if you saw the updates from TB, but apparently the mill that makes the 400d halcyon closed and the supplier hasn't found another mill yet 😔
        TB has said Night Walk is exhausted... I don't know how much Original, Black, or Taiga is left, but the number of offerings is definitely declining.

I didn't find it uncomfortable to have the full 16oz Nalgene bottle sideways in the bag. I think that mostly has to do with not jamming the bag full, which would make the hard bottle (or my hard glasses case) the main points of contact. There's not really a lot of cushioning, so what you pack and how you pack it definitely makes a difference.

Comment

G42 thank you! I'm tempted to give it a try. I have some items in the 200d Taiga, and I do like the color. I'm just generally more of a black/blue person, especially for exteriors, so I was wishing for some of the other Halcyon colors. Definitely hope something similar to that fabric finds its way back into the TB world.

Comment

Originally posted by drs0043 View Post
            I have some items in the 200d Taiga, and I do like the color. I'm just generally more of a black/blue person
            I hear that! I love blues and the Night Walk is amazing. Black is the ultimate basic, which is actually why I usually avoid it in bags... Literally everywhere I look it's a sea of black bags.

If you haven't seen the 400d Taiga in person though, maybe give it a try or ask TB for a swatch (though I'll say that to me it's one of those colours that's better in a bag than in a swatch).

The 400d is dark grid vs the light grid for the 200d and it does change the appearance quite a bit.

I went on a cross country road trip with my Taiga Paragon and it really worked well.. To me, it just seems to function as a neutral, whether out hiking or wandering through a city.

Comment

Working...
            X