Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,895   Posts: 192,296   Members: 6,770   Active Members: 313
Welcome to our newest member, louisep.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DLBC as an "Upgraded" PCSB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DLBC as an "Upgraded" PCSB

I recently took a trip and used a PCSB as my tech bag/underseat bag. I threw it in my aeronaut 45 while traveling the airport and took it out just before boarding the plane. While it fit everything I needed, it was a bit of a tight fit. I carried a peak designs tech pouch, a kindle voyage and a 10in tablet.

Enter the DLBC. It's a hair taller than the PCSB, but has the same width.

I just tried loading that same gear into it and it was perfect. It fit everything without jamming or tetris-ing and has a bit of extra breathing room as well and I was able to fit the everyday cubelet in there.

Only downside is the two front pouches aren't very large, and since they're sewn, I can't adjust their sizing. I was sad that they couldn't fit the everyday cubelet, because it seemed like a perfect spot for it.

Edit: I can't seem to caption the pictures, so here is what everything is:

1. PCSB stuffed with my tech items. Not much spare room.

2. PCSB on top of the DLBC, very similar footprint.

3. Everything fits nicely inside the DLBC, even an extra item (everyday cubelet).

4. Kindle fits in front pouch pocket.

5. Closed up top.

6. Closed up front.
    Last edited by nolegrl; 09-09-2022, 11:37 AM.

Originally posted by nolegrl View Post
    I recently took a trip and used a PCSB as my tech bag/underseat bag. I threw it in my aeronaut 45 while traveling the airport and took it out just before boarding the plane. While it fit everything I needed, it was a bit of a tight fit. I carried a peak designs tech pouch, a kindle voyage and a 10in tablet.

Enter the DLBC. It's a hair taller than the PCSB, but has the same width.

I just tried loading that same gear into it and it was perfect. It fit everything without jamming or tetris-ing and has a bit of extra breathing room as well and I was able to fit the everyday cubelet in there.

Only downside is the two front pouches aren't very large, and since they're sewn, I can't adjust their sizing. I was sad that they couldn't fit the everyday cubelet, because it seemed like a perfect spot for it.

Edit: I can't seem to caption the pictures, so here is what everything is:

1. PCSB stuffed with my tech items. Not much spare room.

2. PCSB on top of the DLBC, very similar footprint.

3. Everything fits nicely inside the DLBC, even an extra item (everyday cubelet).

4. Kindle fits in front pouch pocket.

5. Closed up top.

6. Closed up front.
    Hi @nolegirl
    I'm going to point you to one of my old posts that includes a picture of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and the Daylight Briefcase. It's post number 12 in the 10-18-2021 Daylight Briefcase futures thread. jmoz had said for some time that the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag was almost the minimalist briefcase that he wanted to take to conferences, but he just needed it to be a little taller to fit his iPad. When the Daylight Briefcase came out, he was very happy, and immediately started asking (in the debut day thread) how the Navy Cordura would coordinate with his other navy bags.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post

Hi @nolegirl
      I'm going to point you to one of my old posts that includes a picture of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and the Daylight Briefcase. It's post number 12 in the 10-18-2021 Daylight Briefcase futures thread. jmoz had said for some time that the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag was almost the minimalist briefcase that he wanted to take to conferences, but he just needed it to be a little taller to fit his iPad. When the Daylight Briefcase came out, he was very happy, and immediately started asking (in the debut day thread) how the Navy Cordura would coordinate with his other navy bags.

HTH

moriond

Thanks for linking that thread. I think I had seen those pictures before during my research (Google image search), but I didn't know the whole context.

I had just never thought the two bags were so similar given their different advertised use-cases, but now that I see them in person, they're practically interchangeable depending on what you need to carry.

Comment

I have used my DLBC as a "wandering around the city" bag quite frequently, especially when on a combined work/leisure trip. I usually have a magazine, water bottle, kindle, tissues, battery pack, misc small stuff, sometimes an umbrella, and a thin fleece (even though that may football it out a bit, depending).
        Last edited by G42; 09-09-2022, 07:27 PM.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I love the DLBC and used one while I was going back to school as an adult: it was nice to have a computer-size bag that didn’t scream “laptop bag” and especially helpful because I had to carry that bag from a day job to night school and didn’t want my moonlighting to go noticed!

I didn’t like it when they changed the shoulder strap attachment points and moved them from the sides of the bag to the back/front - it forced the bag to close in on itself when resting against your body. But I think they reverted the attachment points back to the old style.

For me the PCSB just didn’t have enough organization, and I need something that can keep an expensive point and shoot camera away from my car keys and sunglasses.

Ultimately I’ve settled on the Co-Pilot as my favorite everyday bag, but the DLBC is a close second, along with the Side Kick.
          I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I use most often:
          Everyday Carry: CP or SK
          Overnight Travel: SN22 and SZTSB
          Car Travel: Medium YD and MT
          Plane Travel: CP and WF

Comment

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
            I love the DLBC and used one while I was going back to school as an adult: it was nice to have a computer-size bag that didn’t scream “laptop bag” and especially helpful because I had to carry that bag from a day job to night school and didn’t want my moonlighting to go noticed!

I didn’t like it when they changed the shoulder strap attachment points and moved them from the sides of the bag to the back/front - it forced the bag to close in on itself when resting against your body. But I think they reverted the attachment points back to the old style.

For me the PCSB just didn’t have enough organization, and I need something that can keep an expensive point and shoot camera away from my car keys and sunglasses.

Ultimately I’ve settled on the Co-Pilot as my favorite everyday bag, but the DLBC is a close second, along with the Side Kick.
            I was looking at the co-pilot as well, but I didn't think it would be packable enough to fit into the aeronaut. I've seen the pilot pictures inside an aeronaut and although that's a bigger bag, the copilot will have the same structure that doesn't lend well to squishing it down.

Out of curiosity, how does the co-pilot compare to the DLBC. Can it hold the same amount or is there less space?

Comment

I’d say they’re similar animals but not the same one.

The CP is a deeper bag front to back with better built in organization - you legitimately have a centered compartment that fits a water bottle AND will keep it upright. Huge plus.

The main compartment of the DLBC is big and flexible in what it can carry because it’s one big a** compartment. The CP divides its volume across several compartments, so it can’t compete here, but that’s deliberate - all the storage in the CP is compartmentalized and deliberate.

Everyone wants to maintain the CP can’t pack flat but I’d argue it’s just as able.

Let me try and dig out my A30 and my CP to photograph how it fits inside and I’ll post pictures in another post after this one.

Comment

Alright!

So for the sake of satisfying collective curiosities, I grabbed my CP, dumped out all its contents, and tried to fit it inside my A30.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BF3194E0-DA94-4847-A858-064C50CAB69A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.95 MB ID:	342567

It fits perfectly inside the main compartment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	59228E36-9202-4242-8A6E-E240981F1F4C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.78 MB ID:	342569

Tips:

1.) Empty the CP completely if you intend to only use it as a destination bag. The piping sewn into the design helps keep it upright and self-supporting, but doesn’t keep it from being compressed.

2.) The CP is a bag specifically designed to serve as an underseat personal item. I’d just advise to designate your A30 as the carry on, and make the CP your personal item.

3.) Pack the CP first and at the very bottom of the bag, using the contents packed atop it to help compress it down, and - this is key! - use the luggage tie down straps to further compress both. The CP will compress flat but it doesn’t want to stay flat, so between the weight of your packed contents, and the compressive force of the tie down straps, it should get everything flat enough to zip the A30’s main compartment closed without issue.

4.) Many folks probably don’t know this, but you can substitute the Simple Strap on bags that normally include the Standard Strap as the stock option. Simply include a note in your order and they’ll make the swap no charge. The Simple Strap isn’t padded (it’s the firm rubber pad with grips on the underside) but it’s a hell of a lot more packable and easier to get on/off (the rubber underside on the Standard Strap doesn’t play well with my synthetic nylon shell winter jackets).

Click image for larger version  Name:	B3E43858-14F9-4A6B-811B-F018FAA34F93.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.21 MB ID:	342566

To “pack” the CP shoulder strap I simply folded it over itself and tucked it inside the luggage pass-through pocket on the back of the CP. You could just as well unclip it and stash it inside one of the A30 side compartments if you wanted the bag to pack even flatter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F5F5EBE0-2FED-4964-8C7B-1FCFDD033D2E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	342568

And to further illustrate how “packable” the CP can be, here is a picture of it next to a very full size mini [Halcyon] organizer pouch.

Hope this helps!

My first bag from Tom Bihn was a Side Kick, and from there I’ve used an Everyday Cubelet, Daylight Briefcase, and Luminary 15 as my EDC before settling on the Co-Pilot as the one that works best.
                Last edited by Chicagoan; 09-10-2022, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Chicagoan thanks for those pictures! My ideal is to use the bag like a packing cube and then take it out before boarding, so it sounds like the co-pilot wouldn't be the bag for that so I made the right choice with the DLBC.

Comment

Working...
                  X