Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,995   Posts: 193,750   Members: 6,894   Active Members: 247
Welcome to our newest member, gojonnie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four Weeks of Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am really enjoying seeing all these bags and accessories, and seeing how you are using them. Thank you G42!
    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

Thanks sturbridge !
      And what are you carrying today? 😊
      “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
      “Sir?”
      “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
      “Sir?”
      “That’s practically zen.”
      -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

And what are you carrying today?
        Snowing outside all day, so tucked inside with hot tea and blankets. But I do have a small zip shop bag filled with yarn, and a Pickup Truck filled with items for my metal fabrication class here in the office with me. No additional TB accessories in these bags.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2717.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	345285
        Attached Files
        Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
          a Pickup Truck filled with items for my metal fabrication class here in the office with me.
          ooooh, that sounds intriguing!
          “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
          “Sir?”
          “Sir?”

Comment

The first two weeks had us making a copper cuff bracelet, and a shape of our choosing we created using a jeweler's saw. Next week we solder. I have been learning to use all kinds of new tools and equipment. I'm not very good but I am having a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
              The first two weeks had us making a copper cuff bracelet, and a shape of our choosing we created using a jeweler's saw. Next week we solder. I have been learning to use all kinds of new tools and equipment. I'm not very good but I am having a lot of fun.
              So very cool!
              I've taken a couple metal working jewelry classes, similar to what you're describing. It was fun, but I haven't really done much of it vs bead stringing and basic bead weaving... I've taken several bead enameling classes too - those were really neat, but have to be careful with torchwork in a rental apartment. It was all fun but I don't seem to budget the time to haul all the tools out and spend that quantity of time...maybe when I retire lol.
              I'd love to see what your final pieces are when you're done!
              “Sir?”
              “Sir?”

Comment

Not terribly authentic, but yummy

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230123_014516460.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	983.0 KB
ID:	345303

Name:	PXL_20230123_021711520.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	345304
                “Sir?”
                “Sir?”

Comment

Next bag up, Shadow Guide 23L in Ursa 525 Ballistic / Cloud 210 Ballistic.

I've mostly used this bag for grocery trips where I'm walking a couple miles. It's in the same basic consideration set as the Smart Alec. Generally I prefer the SA, but for a work EDC, having the laptop area in the SG23 is nice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230123_145233048.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	345314

I'm still hauling a prodigious amount of paperwork right now, so between that, laptop, work phone, glass container with lunch, etc. I finally checked the weight and it's 19lbs today.

Leftover curry and a container of raw veg in a small cooler bag (I have access to a fridge at work, so no freezer packs needed) on top.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230123_145255756.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,002.7 KB ID:	345312

Same basic stuff as before.

Laptop in compartment; huge stack 'o paper & plastic file thingy; two A5 Ghost Whales, Dawn 210 Ballistic & Island 210 Ballistic (both holding Moleskin journals); Microlite water bottle; my Island 210 Ballistic E/T Cubelet 'home office'; Solaris 200 Halcyon VPC with sanitizer, wipes, tissues, snacks, etc; work phone; Fjord 200 Halcyon Passport Pouch with mask; and a Small Black 210 Ballistic Ghost Whale with pens & stuff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230123_145433594.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	345313

The pack is very comfortable to carry and the Edgeless Straps are great.
                  I like a lot of the aspects of the top flap pocket. Ursa is a nice earthy neutral - I like how they just showed a Parental Unit in it, paired with the new Moss Cerylon.

On the down side for me, there's no easy access for a water bottle and with the tapered bottom it doesn't sit up on it's own.

The vast majority of the time, I'd go for the Cambiata or Smart Alec or Addax 26 if I want to carry something with a big empty space and a feature set that's more useful to how I use the bag.
                  Last edited by G42; 01-23-2023, 07:36 AM.
                  “Sir?”
                  “Sir?”

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                    Not terribly authentic, but yummy

Name:	PXL_20230123_014516460.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	983.0 KB
ID:	345303

Name:	PXL_20230123_021711520.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	345304
                    This looks delicious…and might inspire dinner for my family tomorrow!

Comment

Small series of earthquakes woke me up at 2am (4.2 & lower, all good) and it's hard to sleep after being startled awake, so it's a good time to do quiet chores and play with bags 😉

Switched up to an Original 400d Halcyon/UV 200d Halcyon Pilot

No lunch and no extra stack of paperwork today, so it fits, but it's pretty full.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230125_144333261.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	345387
                      Other than that, same basic load.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230125_144439354.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	345388

Front Side Pocket: two A5 Ghost Whales (Dawn 210 Ballistic & Logic 630 Recycled) with Moleskin journals

Front Center Pocket: Microlite water bottle

Front Side Pocket: Solaris 200d Halcyon VPC & Island 210 Ballistic E/T Cubelet

Main Pocket:
                      -Laptop in neoprene sleeve since Pilot doesn't have one built-in
                      -Flexible file folder thingy
                      -Fjord 200 Halcyon Passport Pouch in the inside open top pocket
                      -Small Black/NWSky zipper Ghost Whale in the other open top pocket

Normally I'd just put the Moleskin journal in the pocket plain, but I'm liking using the A5 GW when carrying several at once.

Oh, and using an OpTech Mini SOS strap

Just realized I forgot my work phone 🙄
                      Last edited by G42; 01-25-2023, 07:16 AM.
                      “Sir?”
                      “Sir?”

Comment

This has been a fun journey to read, so thank you for sharing G42! My first thought was, wow she has a whole lotta TB stuff. I suppose that's the benefits of being a moderator. Can I sign up? ;) But your posts have made me pay attention to how much I also use TB items in my daily life, and then my next thought was, wow I have a whole lotta TB stuff. :D Probably because they make dang useful stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonya View Post
                          This has been a fun journey to read, so thank you for sharing G42! My first thought was, wow she has a whole lotta TB stuff. I suppose that's the benefits of being a moderator. Can I sign up? ;) But your posts have made me pay attention to how much I also use TB items in my daily life, and then my next thought was, wow I have a whole lotta TB stuff. :D Probably because they make dang useful stuff!
                          Oh, you really don't want to know how many TB things I own. 🙄😉 It's right up there with how much Czech glass and other jewelry supplies I have. I'm falling down the rabbit hole of color with yarn now too.

To be clear though (and I'm not poking at you Tonya , just clarifying for anyone who assumes differently) the vast majority of bags I buy on my own; from TB, eBay, Ravelry or in trade...they are not free review bags from TB.
                          If anything, I find myself buying things to help with examples here in the Forums, because I really enjoy this community.

Of the ones I've shown in this list so far, the ADX26, PCSB in Cobalt, and the Solaris VPC were courtesy of TB (as disclosed in those initial reviews).

I've bought multiples of the PCSB and VPC and many of the other bags (I own five S19s for instance and every Cubelet made, etc) because I like to switch out carries and colours and because it amuses me.

I'm glad you are enjoying this diary of stuff and enjoying how you use yours!
                          “Sir?”
                          “Sir?”

Comment

Nebulous 525 Ballistic Monster Truck lives in the back of my car, holding various random supplies for picnics, road trips, etc.

Also an Original 400d Halcyon Synapse 25 as an Emergency/72hr/Bug Out Bag. I have a Brain Bag version in my apartment and this slightly smaller version in the car, since some of the other car stuff is multiple use.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230125_230333309.jpg Views:	9 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	345402

I had originally posted about the emergency preparedness bags here

ETA: remembered to take this photo today because of the earthquakes
                            Last edited by G42; 01-25-2023, 04:21 PM.
                            “Sir?”
                            “Sir?”

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                              To be clear though (and I'm not poking at you Tonya , just clarifying for anyone who assumes differently) the vast majority of bags I buy on my own; from TB, eBay, Ravelry or in trade...they are not free review bags from TB.
                              If anything, I find myself buying things to help with examples here in the Forums, because I really enjoy this community.
                              Of course! Kinda teasing you about the moderator thing, because I also think you're only able to perform those duties because you're an official TB junkie like us all. :) Thanks again for sharing this. I don't change out EDC bags often, so it's been interesting to see how useful doing so might be.

Comment

Tonya I don't understand *what* would give you the impression that I'm a TB junkie
                                Ahem 😊

I had received a Truckasana courtesy of TB in Constellation 525 Ballistic/Solaris 200 Halcyon back when it first launched in 2020 and reviewed it as a picnic bag during the Covid social distancing time here and as an Iyengar yoga bag here

Where I live now, it's currently corralling yoga stuff in my bedroom, to help me avoid tripping over it all, easier to move around when vacuuming, etc.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230127_172322510.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	345419

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230127_172342889.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	345420
                                “Sir?”
                                “Sir?”

Comment

Working...
                                X