Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,521   Posts: 187,743   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 309
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Travelite FAQ review of the Side Effect bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dorayme
    replied
    Well I broke down. I am buying a used one in Plum and guess what I intend to use it for?

wait for it. . .

a handle bar bag for my bike! I have a basket on the front of my hybrid bike, but I am going to be getting a 29er mountain bike. Basket on mountain bike won't do. . . So I decided I needed a handlebar bag instead. I will have to wait until the bag comes and hold it to the handlebars of the bike, but I'm thinking the best way to attach it is to use two strapeez through the side rings. I'm squeeing over here. Of course I will post pictures when I figure it all out!

Leave a comment:

• JonP
    replied
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by JonP View Post
    I think it would be interesting to see what this looks like before the label is attached. I know, yet another photo request!
    I'll try to get a photo of this next time I'm in the factory with my camera and there are labels being sewn. :)

Leave a comment:

• JonP
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    Note: if one removes the label, they will be exposing two very small "marker holes" that indicate to our factory crew where they should position the label when they are sewing it on the Side Effect.
    I think it would be interesting to see what this looks like before the label is attached. I know, yet another photo request!

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lani View Post
    My suggestion, if you can tear yourself away from removing labels (which is what I recommend for camera bags), it to carefully snip the threading from the label and remove it altogether. You will initially be able to tell where the thread was, but the fabric should "heal" itself over time. Just do it relatively quickly after you get it, so the fabric color behind the label matches the rest of the bag.
    Note: if one removes the label, they will be exposing two very small "marker holes" that indicate to our factory crew where they should position the label when they are sewing it on the Side Effect.

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    I was at Michael's the other day (the hobby craft store) and found the perfect little broach! It's a black-petal flower (the petals are made from light fabric) and it conceals the label perfectly! I will try to post a photo of my "camouflaged" Side Effect when I have a chance. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Jenne
    replied
    I just ordered one yesterday (along with a passport pouch and another stuff sack, destined to be my swimsuit bag when I travel and a project bag at home). I generally will not wear it as a waist pack, but it will be great to have that option, mostly when traveling or walking three of my dogs. It's exactly the right size to carry my scaled-down daily essentials, I think (phone, wallet, key.)

Can you tell I have TB anticipation syndrome?

Leave a comment:

• ElenTikvah
    replied
    Originally posted by flitcraft View Post
    Nice review. I have a Side Effect that I haven't used much to date, though I'm planning to take it along on my next couple of trips to see how it works as a purse/light day bag.

So far my one complaint is that the waist straps aren't detachable. I know you can tuck them away, but they are so long that they look a bit bulky when tucked up. I can't ever imagine a context in which I would want my Side Effect as a waist pack--just not the kind of thing I'd ever need or use. I've thought about just cutting them off, but mutilating anything as well made as a Tom Bihn bag seems wrong.
    I bought the Side Effect because of the versatility as a waist pack, but I've never actually used it that way. Currently, with my Handle Loop attached, it is my grab bag that rides in my Swift for quick dashes into the store or whatnot. All that said, I think the concept of making the waist straps detachable would be great, as tucking them away does seem to increase the bulk, obviously.

In addition, I think having the SideEffect with a discrete side seam label would be excellent too...tho nothing stops me from using it wherever or whenever I need it! It is the perfect size to carry my personal items on a daily basis.

~Tik

Leave a comment:

• flitcraft
    replied
    Nice review. I have a Side Effect that I haven't used much to date, though I'm planning to take it along on my next couple of trips to see how it works as a purse/light day bag.

So far my one complaint is that the waist straps aren't detachable. I know you can tuck them away, but they are so long that they look a bit bulky when tucked up. I can't ever imagine a context in which I would want my Side Effect as a waist pack--just not the kind of thing I'd ever need or use. I've thought about just cutting them off, but mutilating anything as well made as a Tom Bihn bag seems wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    Originally posted by dorayme View Post
    I love this review, thanks for writing it. This bag would be jumping into my cart if it were done in Ultrasuede and the TB label were sewn into the seam like the Swifts label vs. appliquéd on.
    In other words, it's just what I need, except for the fabric choice. . .
    Oh I vote for that too! My Side Effect in black is a wonderful little piece. But oh how I crave one in ultrasuede! Great idea Dorayme to have a discreet label sewn into the side seam too!

Leave a comment:

• Jenne
    replied
    Ooh, an avatar! Awesome!

Thank you for this review! The side effect is one of the next things on my list, so all of these details are very useful.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Nice signature photo, dorayme! When we finish the upgrade of the forums, we'll likely add the option of having an avatar. :)

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    replied
    Originally posted by Lani View Post
    Thanks for your kind words, Dorayme! I love your little picture of all your Swifts! :-)
    :) Just sayin' what is true.
    The picture is something that I just added today, I think the forum wouldn't allow a picture in a siggy line before, but when I checked today I could add it, so I did. That or I am super unobservant.

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Thanks for your kind words, Dorayme! I love your little picture of all your Swifts! :-)

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    replied
    I love this review, thanks for writing it. This bag would be jumping into my cart if it were done in Ultrasuede and the TB label were sewn into the seam like the Swifts label vs. appliquéd on.
    In other words, it's just what I need, except for the fabric choice. . .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X