Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,361   Members: 6,552   Active Members: 301
Welcome to our newest member, MerryAlcal.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My colleague's deep, burning love for his new ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by Scattered View Post
    I'm good at selecting and buying items for other people, but I really dislike and am lousy at making purchasing decisions for myself. Especially when patronizing a site like yours, when there are so many wonderful products and many have features I can see being really useful.
    This is a problem my colleague is having. I think it's all compounded by his desire to have ONE thing that works really well. We've been discussing his predicament regarding the ID/Cadet dilemma, and I'm still waiting on the final verdict.

If it's any help, I carry my (non-TB, highly stupid) backpack when I need my MBP, files, books, etc. and carry my MCB on days when I just need my (paper) notebook, iPad, lunch, and essentials. It's a good system for me, and really beats carrying my whole backpack when all I am bringing is my lunch and a pen.

Leave a comment:

• Scattered
    replied
    Originally posted by Katy View Post
    It's really bad when they're everywhere you look! I keep telling myself "Well..I'll have a bag for every scenario!".
    Ah, the kind of job where you get paid and spend all you money where you made it? Or, you try not too! I'd have a rough time resisting...you must be made of stronger stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Scattered
    replied
    Ohhhh decisions! What are you going to put into the bag?
    I think I pretty much listed it everything I'd like to carry in a post a week or so ago. Hopefully, this will link to it...

http://forums.tombihn.com/tom-bihn-n...elsewhere.html

I'm considering a smaller bag - maybe a Imago or Ristretto for iPad - for my "I don't feel like carrying much weight or bulk" days. Days when I can get by with my 8.5x11" portfolio, an iPad, iPhone, headphones, wallet, checkbook, multi-tool, some pens and pencils, and a point-n-shoot camera. This bag would probably go on my Christmas Wish List.

I'm also considering a larger bag - leaning toward ID or Cadet - for my "I need it all" days; this one I would purchase for myself, since it's more expensive. It would be for days when I need to take my 15.4" MacBook Pro and/or a lot of files and notebooks in addition to all of the stuff listed above.

I'm good at selecting and buying items for other people, but I really dislike and am lousy at making purchasing decisions for myself. Especially when patronizing a site like yours, when there are so many wonderful products and many have features I can see being really useful.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    It's really bad when they're everywhere you look! I keep telling myself "Well..I'll have a bag for every scenario!".
    I can only imagine.

Sometimes I go through these ascetic phases when I tell myself, "I should have just one bag!" (Or one black T-shirt, or what have you.) Then I come to my senses and ask what sort of fun that would be.

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger View Post
    I've asked him to update me with his decision. I think he's torn at the moment because he really likes both of the bags, but doesn't feel like he should have both of them for some reason. Man, I'd buy a new bag every other week if I could afford it.

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied
    I, personally, would love to hear more about his comparison of the ID and Cadet, as they're two of the bags I've been considering putting on my "Christmas Wish List". Some days I think the ID might be too large and other days I think the Cadet might be too small.
    Ohhhh decisions! What are you going to put into the bag?

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    I, personally, would love to hear more about his comparison of the ID and Cadet, as they're two of the bags I've been considering putting on my "Christmas Wish List". Some days I think the ID might be too large and other days I think the Cadet might be too small.
    I've asked him to update me with his decision. I think he's torn at the moment because he really likes both of the bags, but doesn't feel like he should have both of them for some reason. Man, I'd buy a new bag every other week if I could afford it.

Leave a comment:

• Scattered
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jenne
    replied
    Keep both!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    My colleague's got a new Cadet

My friend, as you'll recall, was delighted with his new ID, and then anguished when the Cadet was released. He ended up buying a Cadet to test side-by-side with the ID. It arrived yesterday and here is his initial reaction:

Got the Cadet yesterday. Very nice bag! K and I were at a game when it came, so I didn't have much time to check it out last night. I'm going to have a very hard time deciding between the ID and the Cadet. Both bags have distinct features I really like. The Cadet is a tight, well-designed bag. By tight I mean that nothing is wasted, space-wise or features-wise. The internal case for the MBA is pretty neat. It's a little hard to get my mac to slide in and out, though. I suspect the Incipio case I have around the laptop is the reason—there's friction from the plastic case and the way it rubs on the padded internal case. And it's a tight, tight fit. It'd almost certainly loosen over time. Back to the call between the two bags: I like the ID's flap that closes over the whole bag. It's going to be a tough call! I'm not taking either bag to campus today—hard to do—so I can try both out at home when I have time to make a careful decision.

Of course, I am trying to get him to keep both.

He reads the forums sometimes. Let's all encourage him to do the right thing (heh heh)!

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by misterN View Post
    Buy the best, all at once, then cry once."
    Nice one.

Whenever I embark on some massive order, I just tell myself that I'm saving on the shipping. Works every time.

Leave a comment:

• misterN
    replied
    @misterN:

want to know what's even more sad? When I saw that you'd just ordered an Aeronaut AND a Cadet, I briefly saw red (or is that Crimson?). I was so freaking jealous.

I'm over it now. Sort of.
    Haha. I took Maria's signature to heart and changed it a bit too. "Buy the best, cry once." For me I guess it is: "Buy the best, all at once, then cry once."

I'll be pointedly ignoring my credit card bill for a bit before I open it.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    @misterN:

want to know what's even more sad? When I saw that you'd just ordered an Aeronaut AND a Cadet, I briefly saw red (or is that Crimson?). I was so freaking jealous.

I'm over it now. Sort of.

Leave a comment:

• misterN
    replied
    Maybe, Jenne, but I think he's turned against me. Look what was in my inbox this morning:

I'm super-obsessed with that darn Cadet bag, and then Tom Bihn sent me an email this morning, announcing that new bag!

Dammit, [Badger]. I feel like you have given me a free shot of heroin or a free hit of crack. "Go ahead, [Friend of Badger], just try it . . . " Why did you have to turn me on to Tom Bihn's products?! Some friend you are. :-)

Within the next hour: Just ordered the Cadet.

I think I've given him a sickness that is curable only by regular infusions of 1050d Ballistic.
    This makes me giggle quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Maybe, Jenne, but I think he's turned against me. Look what was in my inbox this morning:

I'm super-obsessed with that darn Cadet bag, and then Tom Bihn sent me an email this morning, announcing that new bag!

Dammit, [Badger]. I feel like you have given me a free shot of heroin or a free hit of crack. "Go ahead, [Friend of Badger], just try it . . . " Why did you have to turn me on to Tom Bihn's products?! Some friend you are. :-)

Within the next hour: Just ordered the Cadet.

I think I've given him a sickness that is curable only by regular infusions of 1050d Ballistic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X