Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,534   Posts: 187,861   Members: 6,498   Active Members: 288
Welcome to our newest member, TG100.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First day with my new Co-Pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First day with my new Co-Pilot

My new Co-Pilot in the beautiful Black/Iberian color combination arrived Friday night, and first thing Saturday morning I was out the door and on the train to Manhattan with it. I didn't need to carry a lot of stuff, but when I actually packed the bag, I was surprised how much room was left, especially since my first impression was "this bag looks small!"

I carried the following with me all day, walking all over the city:

Main compartment on the back:

-iPad2 in Timbuk2 case
    -medium Iberian Dyneema pouch with iPhone/iPad charger, and headphones
    -Kindle 3 in a neoprene case
    -Time Out New York magazine
    -New York Review of Books newspaper/magazine (folded in half)

Organizer pockets in the main compartment on the back:

-glasses case
    -Moleskine City notebook, Metrocard holder

Left front pocket:

Tom Bihn Clear Organizer Wallet (attached to key strap)
    iPhone

Right front pocket:

-spare car key (attached to key strap)
    -small Iberian Dyneema pouch filled with various toiletries
    -small pack of tissues
    -small hand lotion
    -pens and pencils
    -spork

Center pocket:

-full set of keys (attached to key strap)

Back slash pocket:

New York Times

There was still PLENTY of room left once I put all this in the bag. At lunch, I took off my thin fleece jacket, and folded, it fit in the main compartment of the bag easily. This still left the center compartment empty, other than a set of keys! I did not upgrade to the Absolute Shoulder Strap; the stock shoulder strap worked fine - it was very comfortable, and never slipped off my shoulder. I plan on using this bag every day; I will need to carry a little more than the above, so I'm eager to see how this will work out, but so far, I'm loving it!
    Attached Files
    Eat well, travel often.

Thanks for the location photo. I'll be looking for you!

Comment

That Timbuk2 iPad case coordinates really nicely with the Co-Pilot and Iberian OPs.

I think you need to get a red spork.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
        I think you need to get a red spork.
        While it'd match, I'm afraid she'd have a tough time finding it against the Iberian lining! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Just View Post
          While it'd match, I'm afraid she'd have a tough time finding it against the Iberian lining! :D
          Good point. There's nothing worse than being accidentally gored by your own spork.

Comment

Good point. There's nothing worse than being accidentally gored by your own spork.
            Good grief, I leave the forum for a few hours and now we're discussing spork gorings :-o

And yes, I suppose it would be hard to find if it were red!
            Eat well, travel often.

Comment

I actually have the same spork in the same color! :D

Comment

OK, this is a stupid question, but why do you all carry sporks around with you? I could understand if you were bringing your own food, but nukediver didn't list anything like that in her list of stuff. (And boy, were you able to carry a lot in your Co-Pilot!)

Anyway, nukediver, I don't normally like black, but the contrast between the black and the Iberian Dyneema is so striking: I absolutely love it. The pouches you chose are perfect with it, of course. And even though I have a Co-Pilot myself, I remain amazed by how much you were able to pack in there, and still have room to spare. I hope you keep enjoying your new bag.

Comment

I like to keep a spork with me in case the alternative is plastic-ware. One fewer piece of trash in the landfill. (I also keep food at work.)
                  Current carry: Super Ego, various pouches, I/O (when shooting). Incorporating the FIELD JOURNAL!!!! Next up on wishlist: S25 and SE (June 2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Jenne View Post
                    I like to keep a spork with me in case the alternative is plastic-ware. One fewer piece of trash in the landfill. (I also keep food at work.)
                    I also often carry my own chopsticks, too. Somehow I didn't get the genes that allow me to separate disposable chopsticks without rendering them unusable. I have a hashibako that holds the chopsticks and also a spoon; with those, I'm set for all office dining possibilities. I've had a titanium spork on my Amazon wish list forever, though--it's smaller.

and +1 on nukediver's mad packing skillz. I'm especially impressed that the bag doesn't looks like it's bulging with all that stuff in there.

Comment

Originally posted by ncb4 View Post
                      OK, this is a stupid question, but why do you all carry sporks around with you?
                      @ncb4, One of my pet peeves is how wasteful we are as a society, and I'd much rather carry around my spork than use disposable plastic ware when I get takeout for lunch (which is often the case, since I'm on the road a lot). It's annoying that it's packaged as a set, and most times, people only use a spoon or a fork, then throw the rest away. Besides, I just love the word *spork* :-)
                      Eat well, travel often.

Comment

I have always used some kind of portable metal utensils mostly metal to wash after use. I tried the practice with my delightful better half but that resulted in the loss of most of my dessert forks and spoons. I now clean and reuse the strong disposable fork and spoons that are provided with take out meals.

I think a couple of Sporks are in order but I would be happier if they made a version with a securing mechanism such as an hollow ring between the spoon and the fork to which a lanyard could be attached.

I also saw sets of durable plastic spoon/fork/knife in many colors which could be right up my alley.

Comment

Spork Gorings .... the solution :)

Light My Fire now do a case that holds 2 sporks, it even has a loop at one end that will accommodate the clip of a key strap :)

Last edited by ceepee; 11-27-2011, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Ooh, gotta get me one of those!
                            Eat well, travel often.

Comment

Do Spork's owners know if the utensil fits inside a Pen/Pencil Pouch?

Comment

Working...
                              X