Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,819   Posts: 191,213   Members: 6,714   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, adb755.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Bihn Coffee Nerd Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JLE
    replied
    Originally posted by daisy View Post
    Like the piccolo latte! They appeared on my radar a couple years ago and now most places in Sydney will do one. No idea where they originated.

(not unlike a cortado in Spain or noisette in France)

I even found one in Canberra recently :-) and not too shabby either.

Speaking of coffee gear ... I've been looking for an insulated "travel" coffee cup that will fit under an espresso group ... (specifically my Pavoni) ... Illy lists the travel cup but the lid looks like just a lid, not a 'sippy cup' lid.

I like a small volume of coffee and most insulated cups are huuuuuuuge.
    I wonder if a baby products shop might have insulated sippy cups? Seems like an odd idea (and you might have to get one with a picture of pink teddy bear on it!) but you never know...

I haven't seen a piccolo latte in Melbourne. Presumably similar to what we call a three-quarter latte, or is it like a short macchiato?

Leave a comment:

• daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by JLE View Post
    Every country has its own conventions...
    Like the piccolo latte! They appeared on my radar a couple years ago and now most places in Sydney will do one. No idea where they originated.

(not unlike a cortado in Spain or noisette in France)

I even found one in Canberra recently :-) and not too shabby either.

Speaking of coffee gear ... I've been looking for an insulated "travel" coffee cup that will fit under an espresso group ... (specifically my Pavoni) ... Illy lists the travel cup but the lid looks like just a lid, not a 'sippy cup' lid.

I like a small volume of coffee and most insulated cups are huuuuuuuge.

Leave a comment:

• JLE
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger View Post

The only time this has ever happened to me was, um, in Italy. It did not strike me as particularly provincial.
    LOL. I have never seen that glass used in Italy. But then I would only order a cafe latte in Italy at breakfast. Slightly different here, where something that is similar to but not really the same is drunk throughout the day. Every country has its own conventions...

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger View Post
    US hotels usually have drip coffee makers, but not kettles. I've never been in a US hotel that had a kettle.
    The last time I stayed in a hotel was the HoJo's in Anaheim, and they had switched over to single-cup Kreurig machines.

Leave a comment:

• joiedwards
    replied
    Originally posted by Chiro75 View Post
    If the OP hasn't gotten a grinder yet, Kyocera makes a great plastic hand grinder (ceramic burrs) available on Orphan Espresso. It's awesome. light, compact, durable. I use it as my espresso grinder... Takes me about 200 turns to get the fineness I like for my at-home machine, so it's a good workout when you're traveling, too. LOL
    I will take a look at it. I can always use a workout! heehee

Leave a comment:

• Chiro75
    replied
    If the OP hasn't gotten a grinder yet, Kyocera makes a great plastic hand grinder (ceramic burrs) available on Orphan Espresso. It's awesome. light, compact, durable. I use it as my espresso grinder... Takes me about 200 turns to get the fineness I like for my at-home machine, so it's a good workout when you're traveling, too. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Do US hotels not typically have kettles in the rooms?
    US hotels usually have drip coffee makers, but not kettles. I've never been in a US hotel that had a kettle.

if your cafe latte is ever served to you in an Irish coffee glass
    The only time this has ever happened to me was, um, in Italy. It did not strike me as particularly provincial.

Leave a comment:

• Mark1966
    replied
    ... [Extremely parochial comment alert] However, that is no guarantee of great coffee anywhere outside Melbourne; yes, Sydney and Canberra, I'm looking at you! :) /[end extremely parochial comment alert]

In Melbourne we are fanatical about coffee (hence the failure of Starbucks here), and pretty wedded to espresso. So-called third wave coffee aficionados (clover, pour over etc) are challenging the dominance of espresso but it remains to be seen whether they will enter the mainstream. Warning, if your cafe latte is ever served to you in an Irish coffee glass in Australia (looking at you again, Canberra:)), leave the premises immediately! ;)
    Unfortunately I have to agree. Despite being Sydney born and bred and now living in Canberra Melbourne is the coffee capital of Australia. You CAN get good coffee elsewhere but you will struggle to get bad coffee in Melbourne.

Leave a comment:

• JLE
    replied
    Two comments:

Do US hotels not typically have kettles in the rooms? Every US hotel I have stayed in has had one. It would be unthinkable for an Australian hotel not to have a kettle in each room, eliminating the need to travel with your own. The better hotels also often have a small French press in each room, too. [Extremely parochial comment alert] However, that is no guarantee of great coffee anywhere outside Melbourne; yes, Sydney and Canberra, I'm looking at you! :) /[end extremely parochial comment alert]

In Melbourne we are fanatical about coffee (hence the failure of Starbucks here), and pretty wedded to espresso. So-called third wave coffee aficionados (clover, pour over etc) are challenging the dominance of espresso but it remains to be seen whether they will enter the mainstream. Warning, if your cafe latte is ever served to you in an Irish coffee glass in Australia (looking at you again, Canberra:)), leave the premises immediately! ;)

Leave a comment:

• Sera
    replied
    Originally posted by kmcg View Post
    The coffee concentrate idea looks interesting - I'll have to try it. That link led to a product made for cold-brewing: Amazon.com: Toddy T2N Cold Brew System: Kitchen & Dining Has anyone tried the Toddy Maker?
    I've got one and use it regularly. I LOVE IT. It makes very low acid coffee concentrate. Since I drink mine as iced milk-coffee, I don't even have to heat it in the microwave. The only flaw is that it takes 12 hours. If you run dry, you can't instantly make more concentrate. Also, do follow the set up instructions about layering grounds and water.

My coffee maker is now relegated to the garage.

Leave a comment:

• joiedwards
    replied
    The regular coffee club at work, which brews Costco house brand has started poaching our more upscale brews! Too funny!
    Very happy to have gone back to the Aeropress. Great coffee in the privacy of my cubicle!

Leave a comment:

• jmcrist
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose View Post
    I used to have a Melitta also. The Clever Coffee Dripper is similar, except that the brew is full immersion and not pour over. I like that, because it's easier to make sure the coffee is extracted right, where it can be difficult with a pour over.

I really dig the design of the GSI Coffee Maker. I really wish they would make a Clever Coffee Dripper that traveled better.

Traveling and being a coffee snob is a tough mix!

Leave a comment:

• Moose
    replied
    jmcrist, I've never tried the Clever Coffee Dripper, I don't own a coffee maker either. I'm going to take a look at the Clever Dripper gizmo, looks interesting. I use one of these every day. Amazon.com: Melitta Ready Set Joe Single Cup Coffee Brewer: Kitchen & Dining

This is the one I travel with. GSI Outdoors Collapsible JavaDrip Slim Drip Coffee Maker - Free Shipping at REI.com

Take care,
    Moose

Leave a comment:

• kmcg
    replied
    The coffee concentrate idea looks interesting - I'll have to try it. That link led to a product made for cold-brewing: Amazon.com: Toddy T2N Cold Brew System: Kitchen & Dining Has anyone tried the Toddy Maker?

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by joiedwards View Post
    This looks promising; Bodum Bistro 17-Oz. Mini Electric Water Kettle. I love Bodum French Presses! I may have to get one. Amazon has them.
    I have one of these! The only problem with them is they tend to really, really boil the water, which can lead to overextracting the grounds. It's easy enough to let the water cool for one minute so that the water is at a more appropriate temperature.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X