Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,819   Posts: 191,213   Members: 6,714   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, adb755.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Bihn Coffee Nerd Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joiedwards
    replied
    Originally posted by WhiteStar View Post
    I've been looking for an immersion heater. Used to have one, can't remember where I bought it and now can't find one. (I prefer to buy local rather than on line if possible)
    This looks promising; Bodum Bistro 17-Oz. Mini Electric Water Kettle. I love Bodum French Presses! I may have to get one. Amazon has them.

Leave a comment:

• joiedwards
    replied
    I have used immersion heaters but they burn out quickly and unpredictably! I carry a mini thermos or insulated Klean Kanteen and usually stay at hotels that provide breakfast. They usually have the in-line Bunn coffee makers on all the time, the ones with the hot water spigot! I fill the thermos and it stays hot for at least 6 hours, plenty of time for my coffee or tea fix.

I plan on getting a Porlex mini steel grinder next. I have the Hario Skerton grinder but don't want to carry a glass jar ( which it comes with). So for now I carry a bit of fresh ground coffee. I will buy fresh ground coffee at local coffee shops on my trips. Gives me a change of pace!

The cleaver coffee dripper would be great for those who don't want to press theirs. I have a Chemex at home and found I have little patience for waiting. SMH!

Leave a comment:

• WhiteStar
    replied
    Originally posted by Katy View Post
    You can also very easily cold brew some concentrate for yourself. This is what I do: Perfect Iced Coffee | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond
    Thank you Katy. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

I am on my second pitcher of the Pioneer Woman's coffee concentrate. (I can' t believe she makes 8 quarts at a time! The biggest pitcher that will fit in my fridge is 2 quarts so I'm having to quarter the recipe.)

I have tried making iced coffee at home so many times and it always tastes like swill. The cold brewing makes all the difference in the world. (I am NOT a coffee drinker unless it's either candy-coffee or iced.)
    Last edited by WhiteStar; 04-10-2012, 12:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WhiteStar
    replied
    Originally posted by ncb4 View Post
    I'm a tea drinker, and the absolute worst thing in the world is heating water in a hotel coffee pot to try and make a cup of tea. No offense to you coffee-lovers, but the coffee taste lingers in the water.
    I've been looking for an immersion heater. Used to have one, can't remember where I bought it and now can't find one. (I prefer to buy local rather than on line if possible)

Leave a comment:

• ncb4
    replied
    Originally posted by jmcrist View Post
    Have you found a travel kettle that you like? How do you get your hot water?
    Oh yes, if anyone has found a travel kettle, please share. I'm a tea drinker, and the absolute worst thing in the world is heating water in a hotel coffee pot to try and make a cup of tea. No offense to you coffee-lovers, but the coffee taste lingers in the water.

Leave a comment:

• jmcrist
    replied
    joledwards: Great idea! I too, am a traveling coffee nerd. I take my Aeropress, clever coffee dripper, Hario mini-mill coffee grinder, filters, and fresh beans on nearly every trip. It becomes quite the pain finding a way to pack it all. I like what you've done here, and at some point in the future I may give it a try.

Have you found a travel kettle that you like? How do you get your hot water?

As for the Aeropress, it's great. It makes a very smooth, subtly sweet cup of coffee. I own two of them, and have also given them as gifts to friends.

Have you tried the Clever Coffee Dripper? It's a single brew method, and it's really good. It's amazing how different a cup of the same coffee can turn out using these two different methods.

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied
    Originally posted by leviathan View Post
    Without a doubt. Want some beans? I can send some up.

Sure! We can send you one of our favorite treats too!!!

Leave a comment:

• joiedwards
    replied

Mate kit: Gourd cup, two Bombilla metal straws, bag of Yerba Mate tea.

Leave a comment:

• joiedwards
    replied
    Totally glossed over that! Would you say you like it more than a french press?
    I sometimes use a French press to make a pot for the house. This makes enough for one or two cups at a time.

Leave a comment:

• joiedwards
    replied
    Stumptown rules. I will have to order some Sterling and get a taste test together.

When I get a chance, I will post the Mate set.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Joiedwards, could you share your Mate tea setup?

Leave a comment:

• leviathan
    replied
    Better than Stumptown!???!!!!!
    Without a doubt. Want some beans? I can send some up.

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied
    Originally posted by joiedwards View Post
    I replied a on page one to this question. Love it.
    Totally glossed over that! Would you say you like it more than a french press?

Leave a comment:

• Katy
    replied
    Originally posted by leviathan View Post
    Be sure to order some beans from my favorite Portland roaster, Sterling Coffee Roasters. Their stuff is unbelievable - Sterling Coffee Roasters
    Better than Stumptown!???!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• JLE
    replied
    I'm a fan of the Barista :)

I finally found a favorite coffee shop in Seattle. Java Bean

But Seattle Coffee Works just opened up a location in Ballard, they have a slow bar that I'm pretty excited to try! Welcome to the world of coffee - Seattle Coffee Works
    Baristas are the coolest guys in town here. Coffee is a serious business and should always be transported in style! ;)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X