Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,504   Posts: 187,567   Members: 6,463   Active Members: 324
Welcome to our newest member, chrisjonty.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My beautiful new SYNAPSE arrived today! I "practice packed" it for a two week trip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by capncat View Post
    backpack, i ordered a charcoal one to start with. however, if i use it a bunch, i might get an indigo one, too (LOVE the color, but it's sold out for now). i'm thinking about a couple of these sash/belts to use with it The Sash | Shop American Apparel (adds a little color, y'know?), plus my trusty black icebreaker cami and shirt and maybe a couple other odds and ends to change it up or for when i inevitably spill something on myself.

i'll definitely post packing list/pics for each trip once it's closer to go time! each trip has a very different purpose and climate to work around, so the packing challenge is extra exciting!
    A sash can be made of cotton fabrics which should come on sale any time soon because of the change of season and new collections.

Combining 2 cotton colors by sewing or using sewing tape mean having a reversible belt, long scarf or even head covering in chilly, way too hot, light sprinkle weather or traditional historical sites which require head covering.

One side in gray and one in indigo would be perfect and for the price of remnant/on sale fabric, you could build a whole reversible long scarves wardrobe for pennies. :)

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    replied
    I'm also very interested in following your ventures and packing list capncat, the versalette looks like one of those garments that is a lot of fun!

Leave a comment:

• BMEPhDinCO
    replied
    capncat - cool concept, thanks for posting it! I would be interested in seeing a list for sure.

Leave a comment:

• capncat
    replied
    backpack, i ordered a charcoal one to start with. however, if i use it a bunch, i might get an indigo one, too (LOVE the color, but it's sold out for now). i'm thinking about a couple of these sash/belts to use with it The Sash | Shop American Apparel (adds a little color, y'know?), plus my trusty black icebreaker cami and shirt and maybe a couple other odds and ends to change it up or for when i inevitably spill something on myself.

i'll definitely post packing list/pics for each trip once it's closer to go time! each trip has a very different purpose and climate to work around, so the packing challenge is extra exciting!

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by capncat View Post
    i'm very tempted to try onebagging using my synapse for a couple upcoming weeklong trips! i ordered a versalette last night ( {r}evolution apparel | the versalette ), which i'm thinking might help? i'm excited to see what kind of packing possibilities that might open up, since it could eliminate the need to bring shirts AND a skirt AND a dress AND a pair of pants, and could be changed up by itself plus maybe a belt and some colorful (and very packable!) leggings.

This is cute, what color did your order? I would say take at least one thin and packable neutral color top, pant and fabric long belt/scarf.

In case the versalette gets stained by a drop of salad dressing or ice cream right in the middle of the fabric and will need pre-treating before being washed.

Please share your packing list and, if possible, pictures. :)

Leave a comment:

• capncat
    replied
    i'm very tempted to try onebagging using my synapse for a couple upcoming weeklong trips! i ordered a versalette last night ( {r}evolution apparel | the versalette ), which i'm thinking might help? i'm excited to see what kind of packing possibilities that might open up, since it could eliminate the need to bring shirts AND a skirt AND a dress AND a pair of pants, and could be changed up by itself plus maybe a belt and some colorful (and very packable!) leggings.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Lonestar6 , do stay safe, take good care and Thank You for your service.

The Synapse is a terrific every day carry backpack.

Some people, especially petite ladies, and minimalist packers, who take a minimum amount of lightweight travel clothes and shoes (up to size 8) can use it as a multi-days travel backpack.

Regular shoes, lightweight shoes more than a size 8 or chunky ones, fleece and other heavy cold weather gear are almost a sure way to seriously consider the lovely Smart Alec.
    Or, if the length of your torso allows, my preferred travel bag, the wonderful Brain Bag which expends to the capacity of a Western Flyer but can shrink, thanks to its unique compression straps, to resemble a slightly longer Synapse .
    Last edited by backpack; 07-12-2012, 01:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Packbetter
    replied
    lonestar6

The Tri-Star certainly seems like a great bag, but i have bags already that can handle all of my larger packing requirements.
    I considered the Synapse for other circumstances, but I really don't need another bag, so for the time being I will keep my powder dry so to speak and see what comes along.

Thank you for your Military Service and stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• lonestar6
    replied
    Originally posted by Packbetter View Post
    Lonestar6

As I mentioned in my response to TavaPeak i did a test in a larger cube than the Tri-Star medium cube and it was not working. I would guess that my clothing takes up more space than yours. The Synapse is apparently just too small for me, even though clearly some women are able to use it in the way that I had hoped to. Maybe in the next iteration TB will add a few hundred cubic inches. I thik MMWV.
    I can highly recommend the tristar for whatever you are packing. It absorbs my army uniforms and combat boots without batting an eye. I packed men's large travel clothes in the packing cube. I took pictures, but unfortunately the web interface is not working so I am limping along on my cell phone.

Leave a comment:

• Packbetter
    replied
    Lonestar6

As I mentioned in my response to TavaPeak i did a test in a larger cube than the Tri-Star medium cube and it was not working. I would guess that my clothing takes up more space than yours. The Synapse is apparently just too small for me, even though clearly some women are able to use it in the way that I had hoped to. Maybe in the next iteration TB will add a few hundred cubic inches. I thik MMWV.

Leave a comment:

• Packbetter
    replied
    dorayme

Enjoy your Synapse and the associated travels.
    Last edited by Packbetter; 07-11-2012, 08:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Packbetter
    replied
    Tava Peak
    That opening line of your post was awesome. "Well upholstered". I may borrow that term, but will give you full recognition and credit, for it.

It seems that the Synapse at best is a close call for what I hoped to do. Although I agree that using a cube or a folder may wind up taking away some space *one could hope that the loss of space would be offset by the compression provided. One of the other reasons to use a cube is so that if the TSA decides to check my clothes their is some hope that they could check the contents while still in the cube or folder making repacking easier.

As I mentioned above TB CS who have been very responsive say that the largest cube that would fit is the tri-star medium cube which is smaller that the full size. Eagle Creek cube. I tried putting some things in the Eagle Creek cube and their was no way my clothing/packing list was going to fit. I certainly have no problem with the idea of packing a bag deliberately enough to maximize use of space. However all indications are that it would likely be a constant struggle to pack the Synapse. What if on some occasion I need an extra shirt or other item. The bag would then be unusable for that trip. I think my clothing would take more space than yours or Laura A's.*

At this point as much as I like the design I think it is too small and too specialized to be useful for me.

I thank you for your input and wish you happy travels.*

If your teenagers are eying your bag just stick some 1930's music and some vegetables in it and that may do the trick!

Leave a comment:

• lonestar6
    replied
    Packbetter. I don't own a synapse but I do own a tristar backpack packing cube. 18*12.25*3.5 1100 cub in. The synapse is 16*11.5*7.9 1160 cub in.

In the backpack packing cube I places an ipad, midweight Patagonia long sleeve fleece, 2 long sleeve shirts, 1travel pants, a ball cap, flip flops, and 2underwear rolls (underpants, sports bra, heavy weight boot socks all rolled in a tshirt).
    The shirts,pants,underwear rolls and flip flops fit easily in the tristar med packing cube as well.
    I just tossed it in, no fancy packing method. Closed easily in both configurations. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by lonestar6; 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dorayme
    replied
    Packbetter I'm a 5'2" woman, and my husband doesn't wear special travel lightweight clothing so I'm sorry, I won't be making the video for you anytime soon. I have traveled with my syapse for an overnight and two day trip. Best of luck finding the information you seek!

Leave a comment:

• TavaPeak
    replied
    I am a tall woman who is well-upholstered. I wear women's size 12 shoes. So you are right, Badger! What works for one woman might not work for another. ;-) For the cabin I usually pack thick cotton crops (2 pr), 1 pr yoga pants, 2-3 t-shirts, 1 longsleeve top, pj's, 2 prs socks and undies, and my iPad. It all fit, but it was tight. That said, I didn't use any packing folders or anything to contain the bulk. I took a small organizer pouch with meds and toiletries -- I keep all everything else at the cabin. Usually I'd take a 3D clear packing cube. I'm not a minimalist packer, though I've done carryon for years.

Packbetter, I think it would be worth ordering a Synapse to try. LauraA tried hers, and it worked beautifully for her. Several others have had great success. Your packing list is more manageable than mine. The Dyneema might "flex" better? I LOVE my Synapse, and hope my teenagers never ever realize what a great, cool bag that it is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X