Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,316   Members: 6,701   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, driph.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Photos Are Needed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new Side Effect and what it holds

I just did a big post (aka rambling incoherency speckled with profanity) about my Side Effect and why I like it. Here's my "oh crap I actually have to leave the house today" carry, with details.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tom-bihn-side-effect-daily-loadout-exploded.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	301312

Name:	tom-bihn-side-effect-daily-loadout-exploded-annotated.jpg
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	301313

1) Business card holder
    2) Perry Ellis Portfolio wallet with money clip
    3) Pigma Micron 01 .25mm
    4) Moleskine soft cover pocket dotted notebook in underwater blue in a custom leather case
    5) Cheap cigarette case, actually holding cigarettes
    6) Zippo Vintage series
    7) Gerber Paraframe I mini
    8) Fisher Bullet Space Pen
    9) Tom Bihn parapack mini organizer pouch which holds coins, extra cash, and business receipts (gotta deduct yo!) tethered via 8″ Tom Bihn keystrap
    10) Tom Bihn Side Effect (SE)
    11) Tom Bihn parapack mini organizer pouch which holds a feminine product, small vial of Ibuprofen, bandaids, Moleskine notebook, Zebra folding pen, hair tie and a bobby pin
    12) Keys on another 8″ Tom Bihn keystrap
    13) Samsung Galaxy S7 standing in for my Google Pixel (roughly the same size)
    14) Headphones from my old Samsung phone because apparently the Pixel doesn’t come with them if you buy it from Verizon

And here's what it looks like all packed up.

Name:	tom-bihn-side-effect-stuffed-top.jpg
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	301314

Main compartment organization.

Name:	tom-bihn-side-effect-daily-loadout-main.jpg
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	301315

Using it as a car admin and showing you can fit something the size of a pack of cigarettes and something the size of a Zippo in the inner pockets (the depth/width of which was hard to visualize when I was shopping). Excuse the dirt, we live in the country.

Name:	tom-bihn-side-effect-car-admin.jpg
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	301316

Hope this helps someone else! Also, thanks for being there for other crazy obsessive people like myself fellow Bihnians. You rock!

Comment

Even a visit to the accountant is made fun by the transport of our files in a large shop bag!

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_fee.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	301339

Comment

Simple tools, simple pleasures, great Saturday beginning...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your Photos Are Needed

I am so excited, I am FINALLY going to take my HsJ on a business trip (versus outdoor adventure), and I can't wait! The combination I finally settled on was the main pack without the zipaway top section, plus my Pilot. I needed to pack a suit plus several more days of business clothes, running gear, and casual clothes. I will try to post a trip report after I am back...

"Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
          "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Keeping my things dry from the storm outside while doing my school pick up runs :)
            Steel A45 PCBP holding my sweater in the bottom compartment, Sitka PCSB purse and Nordic PCSB with my knitting project. I was able to stuff the large travel tray inside the PCSB to hold my yarn.

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	301369

Comment

This is helpful! My latest purse has a similar shape and strap placement to the SE and it drives me nuts. Everything clumps together in the center. So I figured no SE for me. But you pack a similar inventory to what I pack and it's all tidy with everything in its place. Behold the power of well-designed inner pockets!

Comment

Here is my first Tom Bihn purchase on it's maiden voyage to the office yesterday! Synapse 19 in Black/Iberian.

Name:	20170424_101539.jpg
Size:	589.0 KB
ID:	301385

Comment

Waiting for my girls to find the books they want to lend from the library. A SE with my things and a MB waiting for all the great books.

Ilkyway

“Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

My wife and I recently went to Baja California for her birthday. I took along a John Steinbeck's "Log from the Sea of Cortez" to read on the trip. I think this is His only non-fiction book, and it's about a collecting expedition he did in 1940 with his friend Ed Ricketts, a marine biologist.

It turns out that they went on a sardine boat called the "Western Flyer." Did Tom Bihn name the bag after the boat?

I don't own a Western Flyer, but here's my Tri-Star with the Sea of Cortez in the background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Greetings Ilkyway,
                      Love that your tablet is featuring the Tom Bihn Forum in your photo! elisa

Comment

Out for a field trip in botanical gardens !

Comment

Morning errands :) Original Nordic Large shop bag and Black halycon/Island sidekick, wasabi key strap and sapphire clear small OP.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	721.6 KB
ID:	301390
                          I forgot my other favorite blue halycon color- fjord (YSS)

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	841.7 KB
ID:	301391
                          Last edited by RDR3; 04-28-2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment

My new to me CP in Original Halcyon & Iberian...I love it SO much!! I bought it from a fellow knitter & she included a lovely skein of MadTosh Sock for me!

Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

Comment

I am venturing out into the wild to finish up grading my students' year-long Allusions projects and to review a few essays. For the journey I brought two of my favorites, my Daylight Briefcase and Backpack in Nordic. The briefcase holds all things academic while my Backpack is carrying the fun knitting and EDC stuff. I am at a fun little coffee shop about thirty minutes away from where I live--Spring Hill Coffee. I love how light these bags are. I can manage them easily, yet they hold everything I need to have access to while I work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought I'd try an EDC picture with my new CP. I can't tell if my kids thought that was cool to do or if they were mocking me:

It holds quite a lot more than I expected and this load is a bit more than I'd normally carry. The giant FETI is empty but will stay on my desk for the week.

1. Medium YSS with a sock project in it
                                2. Two 5x7 Miquelrius notebooks (about an inch thick)
                                3. Small DOP--my wallet
                                4. iPhone 6
                                5. 32 oz (?) FETI--fake YETI
                                6. 16 oz Zojirushi
                                7. Hardback book
                                8. A bunch of junk: three lip balms, hand lotion, gum, Larabar, three pens, sticky flags
                                9. Keys on an 8" key strap

Last edited by AHesting; 05-01-2017, 05:27 AM.
                                Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

Comment

Working...
                                X