Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,369   Members: 6,553   Active Members: 307
Welcome to our newest member, LucaDebenh.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Photos Are Needed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Photos Are Needed

New Parental Unit arrived today!

Here it is with my normal after school carry (minus any outerwear)

The empty spaces in the pics are reserved for sun and rain gear for me and my two children.

It is quite slim if I carefully underpack it, though I otherwise think it is enormous (especially width-wise):

I was really pleased to find out that my Contigo Autoseal fits in the Side pocket along with my SE and 3DOC:

And I was also pleased to find that my new small double OP fits in the phone pocket:

And in case anyone is curious, a First/Second Aid Kit fits in the side pocket.
    Last edited by Cristina; 04-12-2018, 03:08 PM. Reason: Shrink a photo

Comment

I really liked @moriond’s picture of the coyote/island pocket pouch she received, so when I placed my recent order, I asked what colors were available with island. Kat, who is kindness itself, looked through the pocket pouches to find ones paired with black, verde, and coyote. I think they look great. Also hoping to see some eventually made in the 525 ballistic too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket pouches.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	537.9 KB
ID:	303863
      Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Comment

@pammy,

Verde/Island looks great! At the time that I gave my last order, I asked whether there were any Pocket Pouches in Island (or any of the new 525 or 210 Ballistic nylon combinations). I did get a Black/Island in addition to the Coyote/Island combination that I showed, but they didn't mention Verde/Island at the time. I think these are the first Pocket Pouches with Island. Great combinations.

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
          @pammy,

Verde/Island looks great! At the time that I gave my last order, I asked whether there were any Pocket Pouches in Island (or any of the new 525 or 210 Ballistic nylon combinations). I did get a Black/Island in addition to the Coyote/Island combination that I showed, but they didn't mention Verde/Island at the time. I think these are the first Pocket Pouches with Island. Great combinations.

moriond
          @moriond,

There was one other pocket pouch paired with island, and that was navy/island. I was sort of tempted to get it just to see it in person, but I already have a navy/UV pocket pouch. Of these three, I think the verde/island is my favorite, but the other two look sharp too.

About 525 ballistic, when I asked if there were any pouches in that fabric, Kat mentioned they are accumulating more scraps before they make any. I am hoping for some in Mars Red and possibly the 210 colors as well.
          Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Comment

Originally posted by pammy View Post

About 525 ballistic, when I asked if there were any pouches in that fabric, Kat mentioned they are accumulating more scraps before they make any. I am hoping for some in Mars Red and possibly the 210 colors as well.
            I keep asking about those too! I really really really REALLY want some with Coyote and Dawn.
            :)

And based on @moriond's first pic, I also bought a Coyote/Island PP with my last order - it's very nice.... those of us in the Steel/Island Appreciation Society are still pining though, lol.

EDIT: As I worked my way down through the new posts, I saw that they announced three new items in Steel/Island - woooo!
            Last edited by G42; 04-12-2018, 09:27 PM. Reason: Woot!
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Traveling with my Brain Bag to SFO this early morning.

I'm super early for my flight, and only because a friend is traveling with me! So we should hopefully not see a repeat of last month's events! :)

By the way, this close of a haircut is what you get when you grab the trimmer as soon as you wake up, realizing that there was no attachment in place only after you've run it through your hair... ;)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
              -m

Comment

This was earlier in the week -- enjoying a delicious morning cappuccino at the Bean Bar in Leesburg, VA with my Citizen Canine.

-m

Comment

How do you use the Citizen Canine-as a Side Effect replacement?

Comment

At Muir Woods this afternoon with some friends and the Mars Red Small Cafe Bag.

I have many more pictures and will share when I get back, but wanted to post something before turning in this evening. And those are Oboz on my feet :) -- loving wearing them!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by maverick; 04-13-2018, 10:05 PM.
                    -m

Comment

Your Photos Are Needed

A couple more pics of the Parental Unit, this time out at the park.

On the stroller, with the stroller straps cinched up:

On the stroller, straps extended:

On me, with a Handy Heroes towel and my camera at the ready:

It was a really handy bag for the park, especially at lunch because I could keep the bag on and get at everything inside it.

ETA:
                      PS- The bottom of the bag. Looking at this helped me understand how to pack the bag without the pockets encroaching (hint: Tristar not Aeronaut)
                      Last edited by Cristina; 04-15-2018, 08:59 AM.

Comment

And here are pics of another Parental Unit! I had a few extra minutes while waiting for a bus, so I decided to have an impromptu photo shoot. The PU easily holds my 13" laptop in a cache in the center section, and I was even able to cram in a trench-style raincoat the day before. (With the raincoat added to that section's usual contents, I was just able to close the zipper.) The front flat pocket holds a mini OP with my transit pass and a house key, and the curved pocket behind it holds a pen case for school, a Side Effect, and a 3D Organizer Cube with work stuff. I think I'll usually leave the pockets on the other side empty, though I might put a Shop Bag in there.

I hadn't even thought I wanted a Parental Unit, but since I knew that if I did ever want one I'd want it to be in Original Halcyon/Wasabi, I sought advice in the Ravelry forum about whether to get a PU while I could still get it in Original Halcyon. I got some useful advice there with pros and cons, and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did buy it, I really like this bag!

Name:	IMG_6941.JPG
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	303866

Name:	IMG_6943.JPG
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	303867

Name:	IMG_6945.JPG
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	303868
                        I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

Originally posted by aedifica View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]20373[/ATTACH]
                          Nice Strap. Is it from Tom Bihn?
                          Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
                          Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
                          Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
                          Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by weirdguy View Post
                            Nice Strap. Is it from Tom Bihn?
                            Yes, that's the Q-AM Strap (Q-AM stands for Quick-Adjust Messenger) that used to be offered. It is a nice strap! It isn't on the website anymore but I learned from @moriond that they still have some left that one can order, so I bought two of them recently.

The Q-AM strap really shines with bags that have a Gatekeeper waist strap, so you can use half the waist strap to stabilize the bag, as in this video: https://youtu.be/JCyza2BAOB4
                            But I like it with the Parental Unit even though I can't do that with it. I had to add clips and Tri-Glides (from the Parts page) to attach it to this bag, since the Q-AM Strap was only an option on bags like the Ego where the strap threaded directly onto the bag instead of using clips like the current straps do.

(There are some bags where I'd rather use the Absolute Strap, and even some where I prefer to use the Standard Shoulder Strap, but there are a few bags where I like the Q-AM Strap best.)
                            I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

I never seem to pack as efficiently for the return flight as I do for my outbound flight. The Daylight Briefcase is traveling outside of the Brain Bag. As a result, the compression straps are cinched a bit on the Brain Bag.

United asked passengers with roll aboard suitcases if they could voluntarily gate check their bags. This seems to be becoming more standard, specially if part of a later boarding group.

-m

Comment

Originally posted by rose read View Post
                                I've been searching for something to hold my journal and a few pens for a while now. I usually just toss everything in my bag, but after ruining a few notebooks with rain and leaky water bottles, that's no longer a solution. Luckily I got a Stowaway packing cube, and it's the perfect size for an A5 notebook and a pen pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Just admiring this picture again, and wanted to note that there are a couple of Violet Stowaway Packing Cubes that came back into stock since this picture was posted (despite being retired -- these must be returns). So if anyone needs a pouch sized for an A5 notebook, this is briefly an option again. (These pictures are much nicer than the quick shot I posted in the A5 in a TSS? thread.

I also wanted to mention, now that the Size #2 Knitting Tool Pouch is back in stock (it wasn't at the time this picture was posted), that also works as a slightly shorter pouch alternative for pens than the ballistic pen/pencil pouch or a Clear Organizer Pen/Pencil Pouch (BTW, you can usually get these in Halcyon as well as Cordura). I tend to use the Size #2 Knitting tool pouch for my laptop connectors (to ethernet, projectors, hard drives, etc.) because the ends are reinforced with Ballistic Nylon, but the center is clear urethane, to make it easier to see what you're carrying.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Working...
                                X