Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,775   Posts: 190,638   Members: 6,657   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, Hudanibs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Photos Are Needed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys (& Ladies),
    Just wish to share my somewhat brief and personal review of my Tom Bihn's Products (below) with my recent trip to Taiwan for 7D6N.

No check-in luggage, carry-on only with Airasia (International) and Malaysia Airlines (Domestic/Interstate).

• My wife carried Defy Bucktown Backpack, weight about 6kg. Inside stored two Travel Tray, a Packing Cube, Quartz Bag and a Packable Duffel.
    • I carried A45, slightly overweight 8.5kg (Airasia requirement is 7kg) and Pilot. A45 hold our Large Packing Cube, Snake Chamber, Large Yarn Stuff Sack (Jackets). I also carry Upper Module Pocket and the Pilot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A45 Pilot Taiwan - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	293433
    Left: My Navy/Solar A45 Backpacking and Steel Dyneema Pilot at Terminal 2, Taoyuan International Airport, Taiwan; Arrival
    Right: My Navy/Solar A45 and Defy Bucktown Backpack at Song Syue Lodge, Hehuanshan, Central Taiwan.

We brought 16 shirts, 8 pants & dress, 12 stockings, 15 undies, 1 medium-layer jacket, 1 zipper hoodie and 1 fleece.
    I managed to compress the Jacket, Hoodie and Fleece, all into my Tall Yarn Stuck Sack which is stored just-right on one of A45's Side Pocket.
    While remaining fitted inside the Backpack and A45.
    *Sorry, I forget to snap photo on this part.

While on the Pilot, I'm not sure that I like it so much than I initially think so. Because
    1- It looks bigger on me. I hoping Co-Pilot wouldn't be too small either :P
    1- It is floppy due to the Dyneema material.
    2- It is unusual expandable. Sometimes, this could be good and bad. The good is it could hold a lot. The bad is I tends to stuff more and it would become heavier and awkward looking. Also, my shoulder would get tired easily.
    But overall, I do really like its very organize feature - the Front, Main, Back, Bottle and its interior Pockets.

If my travel itinerary doesn't need a lot of walking, then I wouldn't mind bringing Pilot. Thus for this Trip, I only use the Pilot during the day of flight departure/return, Transit and/or most of the time in the car. Also, another main reason I find the Pilot very useful is it help maximize the Carry-On Limit so my A45 could be lighter to meet the 7kg Limit. Especially those Tablet, Charger, First Aid Kit, Quartz Bag do easily weight a lot, yet they have smaller dimension.

Name:	PCSB UMP - Copy.jpg
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	293432
    Left: My usual content in my UMP. I'm not sure whether I posted this elsewhere before. Sorry, if I repost.
    Middle: I wearing cross-body my Steel Dyneema UMP. Strap is 2 Key Strap jointed (1 Black, 1 UV Dyneema). It may looks big from the picture. This is due to my selfie's angle of shot.
    Right: Nordic PCSB hooked onto the front seat tray, via a Double Carabiner from Tom Bihn. Inside my filled UMP, Passports, Bottle and other small items.

Shall my day itinerary has a lot of walking such as City Traveling, I just leave it at my Hotel and switch to Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. I don't use Tablet outdoor, so PCSB is just right for me + my wife's thingy. Plus, I will be carrying my usual UMP for my usual stuffs. More lightweight, just right sufficient space though we have to compromise on the Bottle Compartment of Pilot. Packable Shop Bag inside a PCSB will be more awesome (I have none. Still saving for 1 LSB) so you wouldn't need to carry multiple plastic bags from your shopping. Just threw everything in. They wouldn't be that easily to be accidentally forgotten during meal stopover or taxi ride.

Also, from this trip, I start to learn to love the Absolute Shoulder strap and very dislike the Standard Strap. The Pad of the Standard Strap love to displace itself, annoyingly.
    Before, I only use the Absolute Strap in non-Cross-Body mode as the non-slippery material caught on my shirts and I wouldn't able to easily swing to front or back. Then from this trip, I learn that I could swing effortlessly by switching the side of the non-slippery material upside down. Hence, with the material on top rather than normally on the bottom where it face/rest on your shoulder, I could use the Strap as like any kind strap, plus the Absolute Strap is more kind to my shoulder with its springy feature.

This is our first carry-on-only trip and we had learned that we could go even lighter as there are still quite a number of apparels we did not use/wear.

NOTE: Both my Wife and I are averagely less than 5.7 feet and weight around 65kg. Shirt size are XS-S, depends on the Brand/Design. Shoes size are about US8.0. I'm noting, to give a rough understand as it could effect the number of apparel fitted.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

Kitten (okay, almost no longer a kitten as he's 11 months. And big!) checking out my new DLBP. I think he approves :-)

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	729.7 KB
ID:	293434

Comment

Diving in Cebu now.

Black dyneema PCSB courtesy of Darcy!

Sent from my purple head sparrow using Tapatalk

Comment

Dog Schmog!

Name:	SkookumKittenresized.jpg
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	293435

Comment

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	710.0 KB
ID:	293438

Perfect Sunday afternoon.

Comment

MJpinter,

Is that a Fieldnotes Unexposed notebook?! Great snap...

Comment

Originally posted by KmK View Post
                MJpinter,

Is that a Fieldnotes Unexposed notebook?! Great snap...

It is indeed! I bought two sets this time (usually I just get one seasonal set), so I have my work filling them up cut out for me. FWIW, a couple of Field Notes fit into the back of a small DOP, and pens fit well in the front of it, making it the perfect little note taking tool folio.

Comment

@mjpinter, I like that your perfect Sunday afternoon includes a foray into pragmatism's conception of truth. That's hard core.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Badger;80849]@mjpinter, I like that your perfect Sunday afternoon includes a foray into pragmatism's conception of truth. That's hard core.

Dissertation, my friend, dissertation. Any work done makes me feel less like a fake loser roaming the halls of academia in search of a life's purpose.

Please tell me that I am not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by mjpinter View Post

Please tell me that I am not alone.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412694076.162984.jpg
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	293445

I read stuff like this for fun, so nah, you've got (very sad and lonely) friends here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After Googling your book, I have decided that we need to become friends! It looks really interesting, and totally aligns with my feminist philosophy/theology interests! I thought I read somewhere on the forum that you teach writing, is that correct?

Comment

Your Photos Are Needed

I was really surprised that this SA existed. I had no idea that they were ever made in this colour way (it has a wasabi lining that I'm growing to like). I'm really fond of this bag because 1) the bag is discernibly lighter even with one Dyneema panel! 2) it's got just enough dyneema for my liking (a whole bag is a bit much for me).

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413880580.208975.jpg
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	293512
                          Last edited by adalangdon; 10-21-2014, 01:42 AM.

Comment

@adalangdon, I thought you already own a Smart Alec. Or I got myself wrong?
                            Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
                            Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
                            Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
                            Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by weirdguy View Post
                              @adalangdon, I thought you already own a Smart Alec. Or I got myself wrong?
                              Yes. That was put up for sale/trade after I got this one, but my partner did a U-turn and claimed it. So now we have couple backpacks, or something. (I haven't gotten him a present in ages, so...)

Comment

A45 and NTFD ready to fly to Puerto Rico. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415790745.504654.jpg
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	293684

Comment

Working...
                                X