Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,171   Members: 6,595   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, bosticderek.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Photos Are Needed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a multi-MCB weekend for me: first a bike ride using the cross body strap I bought a long time ago and which I had forgotten I had--great little apparatus for riding.

Second: any Portlandia fans here? While I didn't exactly 'put a bird on it,' I did put a really big bow on my Alphaviolet MCB before going to a holiday lights show and a few other festivities.

Comment

If anyone has some awkwardly large packages or items to be carried and it doesn't fit in a bag, the Firewood Carrier is a good alternative.
      Attached Files

Comment

Trying to do a home inventory and I thought I'd begin with my Tom Bihn gear. My collection would probably make Marie Kondo cry. Anyway, here's a fun shot of different pouches throughout the years! I prefer the Ghost Whales for most things because they seem to be the most efficient, but the more traditional all-fabric ones are great for shuttling hard drives, and the clear ones get pulled into use when I travel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pouches copy.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	337776
        ----
        All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
        Edmund Burke

Comment

Just got my Mountain Grey 210 Cerylon Grab Bag.
          I added some Ultraviolet Cord Zipper Pulls and some Star Wars bling.
          I’m going to use it as a lunch bag.
          😃

Name:	418615EC-2CCA-4EE4-889A-9D524945C65E.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	5.78 MB
ID:	337789

Comment

I think TB does the blue fabrics so right. They're eye catching without being garish for the lighter shades. I like pastel blues, so it's no surprise that Acuity is my favourite.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5085_text.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	337852
            Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon Synapse 19, Navy/Cloud Road Buddy 36, everything Acuity and Fjord

Comment

Thanks to the incredible power efficiency of the new M1 Pro and M1 Max, I can now bring a 30W charger to power the 'ecosystem' and the camera (Sony RX100), and fit all the bits into a HLT2. (The non-foldable UK plug remains a pain, though.)

Name:	IMG_5261.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	337992

Name:	IMG_5264.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	337993

Comment

Hi All,

These last two posts from latchford and PeaceBell prompted me to free-associate/mention some related posts and pictures that came to mind. Since the forum upgrade to VBulletin5 reindexing earlier this year in Spring broke many of the old links, I often find that I have to locate the items and photos that I want to talk about from memory.

First of all, I agree with latchford that many of the blue colors and fabrics used for accessories go well together, and that acuity in particular is a great color option. So, to show a hybrid thought about the HLT2 (Handy Little Thing 2) shown by PeaceBell and the blue theme discussion by latchford, here is one of my pictures of the HLT2 in Acuity, with a Blue Leaf Pouchkin that was designed for the (Blue) Second Aid Pouch. (For a detailed look with photos of the Second Aid Pouch, see @Cristina’s 07-28-2021Parents’ First Aid Kit thread)

Acuity HLT2 with Blue Leaf Pouchkin and a Book
                The Blue Leaf Pouchkin holding stamps and flag markers does indeed coordinate well with the Acuity 200d Halcyon. This picture is from the HLT 2 sizing thread at the end of January 2020, and answered questions about whether standard trade paperbacks or a Moleskine notebook would fit into the HLT 2. (The answer in general is no, they won’t fit, but a few travel guides that are slightly shorter and thinner like the Rick Steves guides or the Lonely Planet guides can be made to work. My UK paperbacks come closer to fitting, but it’s still generally too tight for standard sizes.

Here’s the Moleskine notebook:
                Moleskine Notebook in Acuity HLT2

You can force fit it into the right side and even zip it closed, but it’s not a happy combination, and you lose access to meshed pocket that is below it. B6 planners (from Leuchtturm1917) are a much more workable size. You can read more details in the text discussion in the original linked thread. I should mention that separate Pouchkin accessories for the First/Second Aid Pouches were retired in June 2021 (after 4 years of availability), so the hack that I like of using the leaf Pouchkin with the HLT2, and that proved popular for over a year and a half after the HLTs were introduced, doesn’t work unless you can find one.

On the nice blue-on-blue combinations, I’ll just add that one of the late release combinations made available for the final Parental Unit Preorder of 1050d Navy Ballistic Nylon exterior with a Tidal 200d Halcyon interior looks really good.
                Parental Unit in 1050d Ballistic Navy/Tidal with accessories
                These were actually early unboxing images from when I received the Parental Unit preorder, but were posted to the Pouches in PU thread in November 2021.Above is shown the Parental Unit in 1050d Ballistic Nylon with 200d Tidal Halcyon lining. The Side Effect in 400d Halcyon Night Walk and the Side Kick in 525d Ballistic Nylon AlphaViolet/210d Ballistic Dawn interior (and with the restored shoulder strap connection via D-rings design!) and the two Pocket Pouches (1050d Ballistic Verde/Solaris and 1050d Ballistic Burnt Orange/Northwest Sky) were part of the order. The 200d Wasabi Halcyon Everyday Cubelet in the open pocket was already there from an earlier order).

NIghtwalk Halcyon Parental Unit with Tidal Halcyon lining
                Again, this was an early unboxing picture of the Parental Unit in Nightwalk 400d Halcyon with 200d Tidal Halcyon lining, which is why the accompanying shoulder strap is not even attached. That was an Ultraviolet Halcyon Travel Stuff Sack in the pocket to show the color combination (and if you're familiar with these accessories you can see that this is the old design from the earlier release with two small double eyelets around the drawstring instead of a single, larger eyelet). These late additions were inspired by the 1/7 Restock & Low Quantities Notes blog post, which means it is actually possible to order these Parental Unit color combinations (and the Pocket Pouch color combinations shown here, too) although they are part of the Low Quantity restock, and only a few of these combinations will be available on 1/7/2022. The photos are from the previously linked Pouches in PU thread, but the discussions in my post there are mainly about using Eagle Creek Spectre Cubes, since the smaller TB accessory options that I use with the Parental Unit are well covered by other posters in that thread.

With regard to the Solaris HLT photo setups, here’s one that I like for the HLT 1 size: An Ode to the Handy Little Thing by kemote from 06-23-2020. Go read the posts in the linked thread for a detailed discussion of the setup, but here are some photos, including one showing that the 2nd generation Apple Pencil fits inside. The last photo shows the iPad power connector stored away.

HLT 1 in Solaris
                Open HLT 1 in Solaris with Apple Pencil
                iPad charger in Solaris HLT1
                Last edited by moriond; 01-06-2022, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Power brick with UK head in CubeletI’m going to add a final comment about the 3-prong UK charging head mentioned by PeaceBell in his post. This question came up when the first Cubelets became available, and I’ll show some photos from my post (#58, dated 06-29-2017) in the The Cublete a small cube but a big suprise thread. It’s slightly easier to insert the power brick with 3-prong UK head into the 210d Ballistic Cubelet, but it works for both the 525d Ballitic and 210d Ballistic cubelets. (Sorry, but with many cut and paste operations involving photos from multiple forum threads, I’m losing the ability to exactly place the cursor insertion point for the later additions. If you go to the originally linked post you can see the complete set of different pictures that were posted as well as the text descriptions.)
                  Apple power brick with UK head beside cubelets
                  Last edited by moriond; 01-04-2022, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I didn't getget the mini clear organizer pouch for my D&D dice; but they fit nicely. (These are the mini ones that pop up in gaming stores from time to time, I think there's three or four sets of "normal" D&D dice, and two or three sets of d10s left from my Vampire: The Masquerade days.)
                    Attached Files

Comment

My Taiga/Taiga Paragon is having almost as much fun as I am...
                      On times when I'm between hotels, it holds my laptop, important docs, and whatever I need for hiking (incl. a TB FAK)... It's doing a great job of being supremely useful.

Saguaro National Park, East section

Name:	PXL_20220123_165512356.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	338345
                      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                        My Taiga/Taiga Paragon is having almost as much fun as I am...
                        On times when I'm between hotels, it holds my laptop, important docs, and whatever I need for hiking (incl. a TB FAK)... It's doing a great job of being supremely useful.

Saguaro National Park, East section

Name:	PXL_20220123_165512356.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	338345
                        Your Taiga Paragon is beautiful in the desert!:desert:

Comment

Introducing: The Small Pen Charmer.

Planning ahead for when it's possible again to have in-person workshops, and the participants need lots of pens.

Name:	SSC1.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	338457 Click image for larger version

Name:	SSC2.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	338453 Click image for larger version

Name:	SSC3.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	338454 Click image for larger version

Name:	SSC5.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	338456 Click image for larger version

Name:	SSC5.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	338458

I picked a bright colour (Orange-152) so that I can easily find it again in what I expect to be a somewhat messy room at the end of the workshop :cool:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Playing around, found I could fit yarn in the Grab Bag

Name:	PXL_20220316_160119725.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	339071
                            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Here's a detail you're not seeing in the photos on the Paradigm product page: The middle outside pocket has a hole at the bottom, presumably to limit the mess in case your water bottle leaks.

Name:	IMG_4422.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	6.22 MB
ID:	339082

(That's a Night Walk Paradigm on top of a Night Walk Zeitgeist)

Comment

Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post
                                Here's a detail you're not seeing in the photos on the Paradigm product page: The middle outside pocket has a hole at the bottom, presumably to limit the mess in case your water bottle leaks.

(That's a Night Walk Paradigm on top of a Night Walk Zeitgeist)
                                It's written in the description... But it's easy to miss, so nice to have the photo

"we added a drain grommet at the bottom for that use. "
                                Last edited by G42; 03-19-2022, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X