Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,074   Posts: 195,083   Members: 6,992   Active Members: 205
Welcome to our newest member, journey41.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Photos Are Needed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shortie View Post

Açaí vs. Ultraviolet keystrap and Plum Cordura pouch.I have owned Ultraviolet and Alphaviolet items and Açaí is much darker, between grape jelly and the skin of a red plum.

Click image for larger version Name:	E3E3BE30-DC23-478F-A982-5559C7BFBED8.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	344741

Click image for larger version

Name:	C37F468C-38F3-4200-947B-F8BA3AD67AD6.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	344742
    Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
    I actually do own a Plum Cordura FJN (it's sitting in my lap right now while I make some notes) so that's a good basis for comparison, at least for me!

Thanks again for the helpful pictures, Shortie.
    For those of you interested in more (historical) purple pouches and who also have a forum login to access the Just for registered users forum posts, here is a link to one of my old posts showing limited edition Mini Organizer Pouches back in 2007. As a quick summary, they located old fabric remnants they had used from their Port Angeles location (pre-dating the later Portable Culture of 2005), and offered these as special edition fabric mini organizer pouches soon after the first mini organizer pouches were introduced. There were two ripstop Cordura fabrics (different from the later 1000d Cordura): Plum (also darker than the later Cordura Plum) and Periwinkle, which became the inspiration for Dawn in the 210d Ballistic Nylon colors. There was also Purple Antron (a shiny fabric used for racing clothing).

HTH

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
      More Açai photos... Trying to show that it's actually closer to (though a touch darker than) Violet Aether

Left to right, Violet Aether, Açai Halcyon, Dawn Ballistic, Sangria Cerylon, Ultraviolet Halcyon
      Indoor lighting, shifts the colors

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20221220_155141036.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	344783
      Bright direct winter sunlight with shadows, more colour shift
      Violet/Açai/UV
      Sangria/Dawn
      Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20221220_153531993.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	344784
      G42 i don’t order any Açaí travel trays, but I just remembered that we’ll have to update the travel tray lists to include this color. Also the Packing Cube Shoulder Bags. Would also be supercool to have these in the Shop Bags. We’re also past due to update the acronyms but I’m still swamped with work and meetings. And I really want 3DVOC to make it in there.
      Last edited by moriond; 01-04-2023, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
        G42 i don’t order any Açaí travel trays, but I just remembered that we’ll have to update the travel tray lists to include this color. Also the Packing Cube Shoulder Bags. Would also be supercool to have these in the Shop Bags. We’re also past due to update the acronyms but I’m still swamped with work and meetings. And I really want 3DVOC to make it in there.
        Really hoping for a travel stuff sack in Açaí :cool:
        Work EDC: S19

Comment

Thanks for reminding me, I just did them whilst waiting for the next leg of my flight.
          As a dedicated afficianado, I second the motion for Shop Bags!
          And etain Stuff Sacks too!
          And Yarn Stuff Sacks... And Cubelets!

All The Bags!
          The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.
          -Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

Comment

Açaí is a pretty cool color, I agree. Don’t we need Zest and Fjord in the PCSBs, and at some point we should the note the changes to the zipper pulls ( just remembering I was glad to have the metal tabs from the earlier PCSBs — that release took place while we were having server issues. I had to try both to order from my iPad and my laptop. I was just about to release my iPad when a wail came from our Dyneema Diva Lani Teshima that they were showing as sold out. No way to transfer this so I bought extras on my iPad and she picked them up when she came to run the Marathon near Christmas time). And we do have Fjord (and Zest ) travel stuff sacks, fortunately!
            Last edited by moriond; 01-04-2023, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I’d also like to purchase Açaí​ large shop bags, with and without zipper.
              Synapse 25 (black halcyon/uv) [my work EDC]
              Synapse 19 (black dyneema/iberian, black parapack/wasabi, steel dyneema/wasabi)
              Smart Alec (black dyneema/uv)
              Co-Pilot (black dyneema/wasabi)
              Small Cafe Bag (black dyneema/wasabi)
              Aeronaut 30 (aubergine/zest) | Aeronaut 45 (nordic halcyon/northwest sky)
              PCSB (steel, island) | SE (black/wasabi, black dyneema/uv, burnt orange/uv) | TT (uv, zest, fjord)

Comment

Thanks for reminding me, I just did them whilst waiting for the next leg of my flight.
                As a dedicated afficianado, I second the motion for Shop Bags!
                And etain Stuff Sacks too!
                And Yarn Stuff Sacks... And Cubelets!

All The Bags!
                With regards to the Acronyms update, one term that I’ve seen used over and over again in the last two years is FOMO = Fear of missing out, especially in limited edition preorder releases.

Comment

With regards to the Acronyms update, one term that I’ve seen used over and over again in the last two years is FOMO = Fear of missing out, especially in limited edition preorder releases.
                  yep, that seems to be pretty accepted, esp with regards to Night Walk
                  added to the list!
                  The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.

Comment

When your yarn shop graciously texts you photos of new yarn shipment arrivals whilst you're out of town... so that you can buy some (remotely) before they sell out...

It requires bringing an extra bag to class to haul the goodies home; oSSB for the win!

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230108_021527376.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.49 MB ID:	344936

Comment

Since rmattr mentioned it, here's a look at what 400d Taiga (dark grid) looks like with a few other fabrics...

Taiga/NWSky Paramour with 200d white grid halcyon Açai VPC, Fjord 3DOC, and Taiga Cubelet

Name:	PXL_20230114_190851400.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	345115

I know I love it with the white grid 200 Taiga as I have that combo in the Paragon... Of the other two, I like the Açai a bit more than Fjord for this. Taiga is a warm neutral to me.

Comment

I usually avoid black bags, but with 400d halcyon going away and limited (zombie-apocalyse-stock-piling) choices left, I'm picking some up.

My new Black Halcyon/Açai Halcyon Pilot just arrived and wowzer are those two colours/fabrics gorgeous together!

The latest blog said all the Açai is scheduled/committed already; I really hope TB brings it back, even though I know 400d will be gone by then.

I'm finding it hard to photograph, since it's even darker/deeper to my eye than this photo can show (though it looks better on my laptop than my phone, YMMV). Whilst I enjoy UV, Açai is more of a jewel tone to me and I like it better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230218_212404640.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	345713
                        Last edited by G42; 02-18-2023, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I usually avoid black bags, but with 400d halcyon going away and limited (zombie-apocalyse-stock-piling) choices left, I'm picking some up.

My new Black Halcyon/Açai Halcyon Pilot just arrived and wowzer are those two colours/fabrics gorgeous together!

The latest blog said all the Açai is scheduled/committed already; I really hope TB brings it back, even though I know 400d will be gone by then.

I'm finding it hard to photograph, since it's even darker/deeper to my eye than this photo can show (though it looks better on my laptop than my phone, YMMV). Whilst I enjoy UV, Açai is more of a jewel tone to me and I like it better.

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20230218_212404640.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	345713
                          Mine just arrived also! I do love the Açaí! In addition to the jewel tone, to my hand it feels softer and silkier than other halcyon fabrics.
                          ​​

Comment

Overnight work trip. This, obviously, is not a TB backpack but one provided by my employer. It's okay and I'd rather throw this one around in not-so-clean environments than one of my own bags :) I overestimated its capacity, though, trying to one-bag while also having to take some equipment with me. PCSB to the rescue - nobody would expect such a nice bag to contain my pyjamas :p

Name:	IMG_6632.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	345920

I also tried to pack all my personal belongings into pouches, in case I had to unpack in front of the customer (and spare them the sight of my dirty underwear) :o

Name:	IMG_6634.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	345921

Bonus pic: I had already started Bihn-ifying this bag after one of its original zipper pulls broke off a while ago. During this trip, another one broke. As soon as I was back home, I cut off all the remaining ones and replaced them with all with TB Zipper Pulls. Deliberately damaging company property? Check.

Name:	IMG_6633.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	345922

Comment

Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post

I also tried to pack all my personal belongings into pouches, in case I had to unpack in front of the customer (and spare them the sight of my dirty underwear) :o
                              How are you liking the VPCs?

Comment

How are you liking the VPCs?
                                I've really only figured out now what to do with them, I guess (bought a few when they first came out). The Dusk one in the above photo holds my toiletries - which wouldn't have fit into a 3DOC. The extra 0,25 litres make all the difference, at least for me. The Moss one holds a collection of various things - a Covid test, a small hairbrush, my Bose SleepBuds, and, most importantly, some emergency chocolate :)

They were simply ideal for this trip. Will look out for more applications in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X