Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,200   Members: 6,712   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, toomuchlove.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Photos Are Needed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bchaplin neither navy nor grey will look in any way out of place over here. I personaly think that grey is more "chic" and navy is more "sporty" but you will find both styles mixed everywhere that is open to the public.
    I am pritty sure the only way you will be spottet as not German is when you talk. And somehow we do like tourists. They always seem to bring a bit of fresh air with them and we get to use our English.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Your Photos Are Needed

My Smart Alec arrived last night and since today is a back-to-back meetings kind of day, I loaded it up with everything I will need today (laptop, folders, notebook, water bottle, knitting project, gym clothes) and there is still plenty of room left over.

Not sure I'm loving the black UMP so may pick up an Aubergine when they're back in stock. But I think I am going to love the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by brendabethman; 03-01-2016, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
        I am drowning in Tom Bihn goodness right now. Some observations and questions.

The Freudian Slip for my Small Cafe Bag EXACTLY fits my rail pass, which is high on the list of things I should not lose next month. I am SO excited about these new FS's. I think they make everything so much more usable and organized.

Will the Small Cafe Bag be small enough to get me past the unforgiving eyes of German museum guards?

(Since I haven't actually been to Germany yet, I'm extrapolating from my prior experiences with Swiss and Israeli museum guards. The one thing I've learned so far in my travels is that museum guards of any nationality do not seem happy about us bag-toting tourists.)

And finally: Is navy or grey a better color to blend in with the chic Europeans? Not that the rest of me will be in any way chic...
        Perhaps you were as surprised as I was by how flimsy the German rail pass is? I was terrified that I would lose it or get it wet or make some other irredeemable error.

I was asked to check my Patagonia Atom, probably because it's more backpack-like than purse-like. But the German bag lockers were quite nice in the museums we visited. I felt just fine about leaving my bag in them - probably safer than carrying it through the streets. They were all self-service and free.

As for color, I'd go with whatever matches my wardrobe best. Except for the proliferation of scarves and man-satchels, Germans looked like Americans to me. Or maybe I was only noticing the tourists? I have no idea. My parents went to Italy last year and their guide told them she identified Americans by their North Face puffy jackets. I think an SCB in any color would fly under that radar.

Comment

I haven't seen many posts/pictures about the Ristretto so to try and redress that, I hope people won't mind if I post one here.

I have the following as my work EDC:

Ristretto (black/steel) + Absolute Shoulder Strap
          Two clear organiser pouches (medium)
          Clear organiser pouch (small) - lip balm and tissues
          Clear organiser pouch (mini) - business and loyalty cards
          Q-Kit (mini) - coins
          Key straps for the above and another strap with my house key and public cycle token
          Apple iPad Pro
          Kindle Voyage and case (Case Closed)
          Apple Magic Keyboard and case (Adore June)
          Apple Pencil and holder (Bholsa)
          Blackberry
          Newspaper
          Moleskine
          Pen

Click image for larger version

Name:	24872301313_53ee35e554_c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	298304

Comment

Nice post John. I have a Ristretto and its one of the best bags for traveling also. I use it as my personal carry on item. I carry my 13 inch macbook pro, Fuji XPRO1 with lens, a few small snacks,cables, maps, pens, etc. Then when you get to your destination I enjoy it for a everyday carry bag.

Comment

Originally posted by skipper View Post
              Nice post John. I have a Ristretto and its one of the best bags for traveling also. I use it as my personal carry on item. I carry my 13 inch macbook pro, Fuji XPRO1 with lens, a few small snacks,cables, maps, pens, etc. Then when you get to your destination I enjoy it for a everyday carry bag.
              Thanks, skipper. I'm off somewhere in a fortnight's time and it'll be my first time to try the Ristretto as my personal carry-on too. I'm currently thinking whether to keep on using my roller or get (e.g.) a Synapse instead for better mobility. On all previous trips, I wheeled around a 15-inch MacBook Pro but this time - with a Ristretto plus tablet/keyboard and possibly a Synapse - it should hopefully be more enjoyable. I'll also try out the Ristretto when I get to my destination.

Comment

I agree @John and @skipper - totally love my Ristretto 13! I find it perfect as my EDC. I also use it as my Personal Item together with my TriStar on business trips. When I am at my destination, it is a great bag for site seeing as well as conference carry.

Great picture and carry list @John! Thanks!

Cheers!
                TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

The Small Cafe Bag is a shoulder bag. 10 1/2 by 8 inches. Do you think it will be allowed in most museums?

I have been assuming for a long time that I would take something that is slightly larger (the medium-sized version of the same shoulder bag, 12 x 10 1/2 inches). But now I'm thinking smaller will be better.
                  I carry my MCB into the likes of the British Museum and the Victoria & Albert Museum and pretty much everywhere else with no problems.
                  I love my Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag, Black MCB, and Azure LCB.
                  The Preciouses: A45 in black/zest, (original) Yeoman Duffel in verde, Mini Yeoman Duffel in Burnt Orange, the S19 in black/ultraviolet, and the MB in black/northwest sky; Shop Bags in zest, monarch, sitka, fjord, and island.

Comment

The Small Cafe Bag is a shoulder bag. 10 1/2 by 8 inches. Do you think it will be allowed in most museums?

I have been assuming for a long time that I would take something that is slightly larger (the medium-sized version of the same shoulder bag, 12 x 10 1/2 inches). But now I'm thinking smaller will be better.
                    I have a leather crossbody bag which is roughly the size of the MCB. It's not rigid so it collapses somewhat when it's not full. I was allowed to keep it on me in museums here in Berlin under the condition that I carry it in front of me. I think the SCB would be fine.

Comment

Hi Folks:

Anyone have pictures of the Red synapse 25 backpack? Would like to see more of it other then on the order
                      page.

Thanks,

Brian

Comment

Your Photos Are Needed

My WF and DLBC ready to take a last minute trip to Orange County by train. I had no time to plan so I just threw in a bunch of clothes/shoes into packing cubes for the WF. The DLBC has my work stuff, wallet, and phone.

ETA: that thing sticking out of the WF is a rolling stick I use before/after running to loosen up my muscles.

Comment

Snowshoeing with my Synapse 19:

Name:	IMG_4145.JPG
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	298322

Name:	IMG_4133.JPG
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	298323
                          Great for snowshoeing, also great for hiking in the summer. (Boreal exit, outside of Truckee)

Name:	IMG_4103.JPG
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	298324
                          Castle Peak behind the trees.

Comment

Love your pics, @Serena. I was just in Truckee last month for snowshoeing and will be going back next week! The fresh snow must be awesome!

Comment

@Pokilani, Truckee is one of my favorite places! I'm glad you get to enjoy it while you're in California.

Comment

Originally posted by Serena View Post
                                @Pokilani, Truckee is one of my favorite places! I'm glad you get to enjoy it while you're in California.
                                Mine too. I keep imaging spending my retirement there.

Comment

Working...
                                X