Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,818   Posts: 191,201   Members: 6,712   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, peanutbuttersoup.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Smart Alec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Smart Alec

My new Tom Bihn Smart Alec was delivered Friday night. Black / Black / Wasabi, with a variety of accessories. I love the quality feel of the bag - it feels quite rugged without looking cumbersome or bulky or being overly stiff - and the lines of he bag. I really like the effect of the Freudian Slip in the bag.

I was using the bag yesterday, and here it is this morning, at the coffee shop, the first of a few stops today.

Lighting's not great, but there's a Freudian Slip in there, providing some rigidity and carrying magazine and iPad. Snake charmer, Side Effect, and there's a FAK in there too.

Not much in the side pocket - iPhone, Tao pen, clear organizer wallet.

The other side pocket swallows my 18 oz Kleen Kanteen with Sport Top - entirely. I may need to upscale my water bottle.

you just bought one of those new accessory strap?
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Comment

Anxious to receive mine with the new top pocket!

Comment

Originally posted by blackfungi View Post
        you just bought one of those new accessory strap?
        No, I actually bought 3, but only have one attached at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by larryb View Post
          Anxious to receive mine with the new top pocket!
          Yes, I'm really excited to get my top (admin style) pocket as well.

Comment

Nice pics, Brianl! I just received a navy/iberian SA for Cmas and I love it! Now I need to post some pics...

Comment

Some better lit pictures of the admin side pocket, and the main compartment.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358197833.797754.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	288581
              "Admin" pocket, currently carrying my iPhone, Tao pen, Stylus. My wallet is tethered in as well, and above that is tethered a small pouch (work ID, BART card, various other cards.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358197959.510559.jpg
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	288582
              Main compartment - needed to use a flashlight, but "below" the Freudian Slip, there's the tethered Side Effect (left) and wasabi Snake Charmer. Below those is a pouch with my first aid kit.

Comment

I've been using my Smart Alec for EDC since arrival, including weekend schleps and whatnot. Love it! It's quite comfortable to wear and use.

Comment

At lunch today - SA making sure I'm organized:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362427595.932587.jpg
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	288743

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362427611.368466.jpg
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	288744

Comment

Is that a killer pigeon guarding your bag?
                    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Comment

Yes, indeed

Comment

Ooh, very nice upper modular pocket. I hope you don't mind my asking what you keep in it? I'm so tempted to get the modular pockets, but I don't quite have the need for them ... yet. :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Ginkgo View Post
                          Ooh, very nice upper modular pocket. I hope you don't mind my asking what you keep in it? I'm so tempted to get the modular pockets, but I don't quite have the need for them ... yet. :rolleyes:
                          I don't mind at all. :) It's taken me a bit to figure out a load out, especially as I really like and use the side admin pocket.

Right now, the Upper Pocket holds a few notebooks, Kleenex pack, wet wipes, screw driver kit, pen, Advil, small folding knife, scissors, and a tethered TB clear organizer which serves as my first aid kit.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362504876.212259.jpg
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	288748

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362504890.476840.jpg
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	288749
                          There's enough room with all that for my flashlight, a Fenix TK15. For the rare times I just don't want it on my belt:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362504959.992526.jpg
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	288750

Comment

Originally posted by BrianI View Post
                            I don't mind at all. :) It's taken me a bit to figure out a load out, especially as I really like and use the side admin pocket.

Right now, the Upper Pocket holds a few notebooks, Kleenex pack, wet wipes, screw driver kit, pen, Advil, small folding knife, scissors, and a tethered TB clear organizer which serves as my first aid kit.
                            There's enough room with all that for my flashlight, a Fenix TK15. For the rare times I just don't want it on my belt:
                            Wow, it fits the 3D Clear Organizer Cube and all that stuff? Very spacious.

Comment

The morning, with Lower External Pocket as well:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363017185.125806.jpg
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	288758

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363017206.634500.jpg
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	288759

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363017252.573825.jpg
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	288760
                              The Lower Pocket does help prevent the bag from tipping (bonus!).

Comment

Working...
                              X