Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,996   Posts: 193,770   Members: 6,894   Active Members: 244
Welcome to our newest member, gojonnie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse 25 Suggestion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Synapse 25 Suggestion

    Hello All,

    After doing a side-by-side comparison of both Synapse packs (19 & 25) I noticed something that prompted me to write this post and make a suggestion.

    As you will see in the picture below, the Synapse 19 bottom pocket zipper is located precisely where it looks like it leaves the same room both at the bottom and top of the zipper. In other words, it looks pretty symmetrical.

    However, the Synapse 25 has the zipper way too high, leaving a huge space between the bottom of the pack and where the zipper is located. In other words, to me at least, does not look very symmetrical.

    I would recommend placing the zipper lower, without affecting the overall size of the bottom pocket. It would just have more "upward" space than it does now, but IMHO will make it look "prettier". Just saying!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 01, 1 19 00 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	864.3 KB
ID:	309590

    #2
    The lack of symetry doesn't bother me. It means that it's much easier for me to cram in a rain poncho or puff jacket, by pushing in and down, and not also stuffing upward.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Peruvian View Post

      I would recommend placing the zipper lower, without affecting the overall size of the bottom pocket. It would just have more "upward" space than it does now, but IMHO will make it look "prettier". Just saying!
      I had the same reaction the first time I saw a picture of the Synapse25 ... it just didn't look quite "right". TBH I'm not sure if it is simply because the proportions are different to the Synapse19 or because it truly looks unbalanced (to my very personal eye) in its own right.

      Personal aesthetics aside, I think that from a functional point of view, the zip is in the correct place - to allow things to be placed in or retrieved from the lower pocket without dumping the other contents when the pack is vertical.
      List under construction ....

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by monkeylady View Post
        The lack of symetry doesn't bother me. It means that it's much easier for me to cram in a rain poncho or puff jacket, by pushing in and down, and not also stuffing upward.
        +1 - I like it bigger.

        Comment


          #5
          Add me to the asymmetrical, high zipper side. It is much more functional.

          Comment


            #6
            The high zipper placing is quite functional. I also prefer it that way :)

            Comment


              #7
              All this chatter makes me want to buy a Synapse 25 so I can make my own informed comparison!!

              If only the Nordic were still available. *sob*

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by notmensa View Post

                If only the Nordic were still available. *sob*
                +1...sorry I missed out on Nordic for the 25. However, I have heard hints that the 25 might be available in non-steel Dyneema again some day!
                --------------------------------

                Comment


                  #9
                  Nordic is not being retired, so there is a chance that there will be another batch of Synapse 25 made in that color.

                  Nordic/UV would be nice to add to my collection of Tom Bihn acquisitions in that ultra-gorgeous color pair.


                  In the meantime, Peruvian, if you don't like your S 25, you could sell it to notmensa. Win/win situation.


                  The placement of the lower pocket zipper makes sense for each bag. The S 19 has a smaller pocket which is perfect for the 3D Organizer Cube and other smaller things.

                  But... After using the S 19 as an EDC = Everyday carry, people who have to take laptops and prefer to pack their lunch found out the S 19 was a bit of a squeeze.

                  So we said we wanted more space and Tom delivered the new S 25 design.

                  What tom gets and what most designer of say, Plus Size clothes don't is that something in a bigger size needs to be entirely re-designed.

                  Especially when the people say, we want to be able to fit the Side Effect.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by backpack View Post


                    In the meantime, Peruvian, if you don't like your S 25, you could sell it to notmensa. Win/win situation.
                    Or to me!!!!
                    --------------------------------

                    Comment


                      #11
                      OK, anyone interested? Nordic Dyneema Synapse 25. LMK.

                      Peruvian

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Peruvian View Post
                        OK, anyone interested? Nordic Dyneema Synapse 25. LMK.

                        Peruvian
                        Sent you a PM
                        --------------------------------

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Peruvian,
                          Would you be kind enough to post pics with both bags on your back. I have an upcoming family trip to Disney World and I'm trying to have a sense of scale for them. I'm torn between the 19 and the 25. I'm 5-8" and a bit on the heavy side. I'm a bit concerned the Synapse 19 would be too small. Any help would be appreciated.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by momogadea View Post
                            Peruvian,
                            Would you be kind enough to post pics with both bags on your back. I have an upcoming family trip to Disney World and I'm trying to have a sense of scale for them. I'm torn between the 19 and the 25. I'm 5-8" and a bit on the heavy side. I'm a bit concerned the Synapse 19 would be too small. Any help would be appreciated.

                            Do you mean too small for your build or too small for the stuff you want to carry? I think unless you are really broad-backed, either pack should fit in terms of the shoulder straps. Your height is within that sweet spot that will allow you to carry a 25 without being dwarfed or a 19 without it looking comically small.

                            If you're concerned about capacity, hit us with your packing list (and give clothing sizes [i.e., Unisex M] if applicable).


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Badger View Post
                              Do you mean too small for your build or too small for the stuff you want to carry? I think unless you are really broad-backed, either pack should fit in terms of the shoulder straps. Your height is within that sweet spot that will allow you to carry a 25 without being dwarfed or a 19 without it looking comically small.

                              If you're concerned about capacity, hit us with your packing list (and give clothing sizes [i.e., Unisex M] if applicable).


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Thanks Badger.
                              It's more of a size issue. The monetary difference between the two I think is negligible ($10). But I am not sure because of my size either the 19 would look small, or the 25 would look too big. I'll probably never used it for a weekend bag (to carry everything around..) but I would like to use it for day hikes, for traveling in airports, and as an occasional replacement for my Tumi messenger. Some of the pics I've seen of the 25 on someone's back...it looks very elongated.. Any thoughts?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X