Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,495   Posts: 187,476   Members: 6,456   Active Members: 329
Welcome to our newest member, Hungry.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q-AM (Quick-Adjust Messenger) strap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

I am thinking to get a Q-AM Shoulder Strap for my Pilot Messenger bag.
    I normally carry as Cross-Body Mode, high up. I felt the Standard Strap a bit hinder this high-up ability, as the padded section of the Strap got into way.
    Also, the Q-AM Shoulder Strap has more padded area and I assumed I would be more comfortable, walking (traveling) for a long day.

But the Q-AM Shoulder Strap isn't built with Pilot in mind. There isn't any snaphook on any end.
    Would anyone care to share any possibility to make it work with Pilot or Co-Pilot?

UPDATE: Nevermind, I found the solution at other post. Hide behind few pages of search results.
    http://forums.tombihn.com/how/7696-q...t-copilot.html
    Last edited by weirdguy; 08-26-2014, 05:19 AM.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

I hate to bring this up again but I really hope I could learn more about the Q-AM Strap which I am in plan to add to my next big order.

I stumbled across an another Made In America Bag, called Mission Workshop. I am really fascinated by its Shoulder Strap - its quickness in buckling up the Messenger Bag, even releasing it at very fast and smooth speed. I am not sure whether there is anyone owning Mission Workshop's Messenger Bag like the Monty 21L in the Forum but I hope to understand whether its de-attachable Shoulder Strap could be use with Tom Bihn's Messenger Bag. I really hope I could use it with my Parental Unit.

I had tried to watch the official Tom Bihn's Video on the Q-AM Strap. The buckling up or pulling isn't that smooth enough. Plus, I think it is must to use 2 hands.

Feel free to correct me, and welcome any suggestion or comments.

In case one doesn't really understand what I am trying to ask, you could see this video https://youtu.be/Bz91e_12YDw?t=30s. The link directly show the action of quick pull (to buckle up) and quick release.

Comment

Glad this came up because I've been wondering about adding the Q-AM strap to bags I currently have (ordered with different straps), including the PU.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by weirdguy View Post
          I hate to bring this up again but I really hope I could learn more about the Q-AM Strap which I am in plan to add to my next big order.

I stumbled across an another Made In America Bag, called Mission Workshop. I am really fascinated by its Shoulder Strap - its quickness in buckling up the Messenger Bag, even releasing it at very fast and smooth speed. I am not sure whether there is anyone owning Mission Workshop's Messenger Bag like the Monty 21L in the Forum but I hope to understand whether its de-attachable Shoulder Strap could be use with Tom Bihn's Messenger Bag. I really hope I could use it with my Parental Unit.

I had tried to watch the official Tom Bihn's Video on the Q-AM Strap. The buckling up or pulling isn't that smooth enough. Plus, I think it is must to use 2 hands.

Feel free to correct me, and welcome any suggestion or comments.

In case one doesn't really understand what I am trying to ask, you could see this video https://youtu.be/Bz91e_12YDw?t=30s. The link directly show the action of quick pull (to buckle up) and quick release.
          Why are you linking to a Belgian website? In this environment, I'd be very cautious of clicking on a link.

Quite frankly, I don't see an advantage of this strap (from the official website) over the Q-AM.
          When in trouble, obfuscate.

Comment

@weirdguy, I did find a solution to use the Q-AM shoulder strap with the Pilot (or any other bag that has the "eye-loop" attachment points -Cadet, EB, CP, DLBC, etc).

Just like how the Absolute Shoulder Strap has the snap hook attached, I did the same thing with the Q-AM. Essentially, you just need two 1.5" snap hooks and two 1.5" Tri-glides - both of which you can get from the TB Accessory Parts page.

Essentially, it looks like this:

Close-up (sorry, not a great pic)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Q-AM Conversion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	296918

In use, you can cinch it higher up if that is how you want it. This is my preferred way to wear my Pilot - it is so comfortable! YMMV but loosening and tightening is easy for me - once you understand how any messenger strap works. Essentially, to loosen the strap, just pull up on the end of the middle buckle with one hand. To tighten, just pull on the loose strap end. If your bag is heavy, you may also need to support the bag with your other hand to make it easier to tighten. This is how all the other messenger straps work that I know of. They may show one-handed tightening, but, IMHO it would only be doable for a lightly loaded bag.

I looked at the Mission Workshop Shoulder Strap a while back and you could do the same thing to get it to work with the Pilot attachment point. I have to say it does look very cool and I was of the same mind as you (great minds think alike?). However, it uses 2" wide webbing for the strap and, IMHO, may be disproportionately wide for the size of the Pilot. If I recall, only the largest TB bags used 2" wide webbing and only in the early version (e.g. Super Ego). Even for those bags, they later switched to the 1.5" wide webbing.

Hope this helps
            Cheers!
            Last edited by tpnl; 06-28-2015, 06:20 PM.
            TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

You got a point there, @tpnl! I will give TB's Q-AM Shoulder Strap plenty of try first.

But still, I really find the Mission Workshop Shoulder Strap very cool and hopefully, very soon one day I have a chance to make a comparison between the two.

Thanks again, @tpnl

Comment

If you do a comparison, let us know @weirdguy!

Cheers!
                TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Originally posted by ceb View Post
                  Why are you linking to a Belgian website? In this environment, I'd be very cautious of clicking on a link.

Quite frankly, I don't see an advantage of this strap (from the official website) over the Q-AM.
                  That's not a Belgian website; it's just how the Youtube link is truncated (or whatever).

From the video, the strap looks like it operates the same as the QAM, and I suspect you do need 2 hands for the MW strap for the same reason as the QAM. 1 hand to lift the buckle to loosen the strap that's threaded through it, and 1 hand to pull down to tighten. JM2C after watching the vid.

Comment

Working...
                  X