Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,825   Posts: 191,304   Members: 6,699   Active Members: 269
Welcome to our newest member, Ea0423.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase r...

@GoStanford, can you post comparison photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Comment

Originally posted by kkintea View Post
      @GoStanford, can you post comparison photos?
      Well, I don't know that this is going to help anything, but here goes (evening lighting, relying on the shipping box as a neutral background).

Picture 1 - My goal is to show the comparison of olive cordura (steel parapack lining visible in picture 3) with black dyneema (steel 200d dyneema lining visible in picture 3).
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2260[2].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	870.8 KB
ID:	293669

Picture 2 - With very little pressure and at just the right angle, the empty cordura bag stands upright whereas the dyneema does not.

Name:	IMG_2261.JPG
Size:	722.7 KB
ID:	293670

Picture 3 - The dyneema also gapes open more easily, which could impact loading the bag. I didn't take a picture of them rolled up but I could do that if it would be useful.

Name:	IMG_2262.JPG
Size:	758.9 KB
ID:	293671

My cache for a 13-inch rMBP fits nicely but I do have to close the zipper in such a way that I am conscious of going around the corner of the bag - no serious tugging involved, and the bag is not distended when I do this, but just be aware of that. I'm further editing this to say - I am a big fan of dyneema for its portability and ease of manipulation, and I think that as long as my laptop is in its Cache, the dyneema will work very well for transportation. However, this is one bag where I could see the structure afforded by the cordura version to be a significant factor in deciding which version to keep. Those of you with Dyneema cafe bags know - the bags look more structured the more they are filled, but there is the floppiness to consider when the bag is only minimally filled.
      Last edited by GoStanford; 11-10-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Ok, you guys did it… convinced me I “needed” (ahem) the DLBCase.

While I really like the Cordura colors, my cat is a champion shedder, so anything that is a fur magnet (Cordura) is a non-starter for me. Therefore, I opted for the Dyneema version. (Should be here at the end of the week.)

Would have loved it if the DLBC were offered in Parapack (still pet fur resistant but slightly more structured than Dyneema)… or if the Dyneema version used the same Parapack lining as the Cordura version.

Comment

I like everything about this bag except the handles. I understand the desire for lightness, but even a minimal amount of padding of some kind would be very beneficial IMO. I can't imagine carrying this bag for any significant amount of time...

Other than that, it looks great to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
            I like everything about this bag except the handles. I understand the desire for lightness, but even a minimal amount of padding of some kind would be very beneficial IMO. I can't imagine carrying this bag for any significant amount of time...

The handles haven't been a problem and I've been carrying the DLBC for a over a week (not constantly, obviously). Unless you're carrying plutonium or something you just can't make the bag really heavy, and the webbing handles are surprisingly comfortable. Plus, you wouldn't be able to fold the DLBC if it had poron or other padding in the handles; that would kill a lot of the usefulness of this bag, which lies in its packability.

Comment

It's interesting how 'heavy' is a relative term. Hand feel is becoming more of a priority for many of us. I solved the issue with my SCB and S19 by adding simple foam wrap handles from Amazon. Very comfie now and visually fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                The handles haven't been a problem and I've been carrying the DLBC for a over a week (not constantly, obviously). Unless you're carrying plutonium or something you just can't make the bag really heavy, and the webbing handles are surprisingly comfortable. Plus, you wouldn't be able to fold the DLBC if it had poron or other padding in the handles; that would kill a lot of the usefulness of this bag, which lies in its packability.

Thanks Badger - that is helpful to know! I really like the grab handles on the Cadet - they aren't poron filled, but they are extremely comfortable! And I wondered how the webbing grab handles on the Daylight Briefcase would feel.

No doubt, the Daylight Briefcase will fold nicely.

Are you carrying the Daylight Briefcase with the shoulder strap or just with the grab handles?

I can see myself packing the Daylight Briefcase inside of the Western Flyer for a weekend trip, pulling it out at my destination, and leaving the Western Flyer with my clothes and toiletries at the hotel.
                -m

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post

Are you carrying the Daylight Briefcase with the shoulder strap or just with the grab handles?

I can see myself packing the Daylight Briefcase inside of the Western Flyer for a weekend trip, pulling it out at my destination, and leaving the Western Flyer with my clothes and toiletries at the hotel.
                  Hey maverick, I've been using both the handles and the strap, but I really like carrying it cross-body. It makes me all nostalgic for my (admittedly sort of crappy) Eddie Bauer messenger brief that I had in college. If I was going to pack it inside my TS, I would totally just use the Absolute Strap with it. It's kind of overkill, but saves you from bringing two straps.

Sigh. I'm looking lovingly at my DLBC right now. Overall I'm just so happy with the Daylight series—they're so simple but are often just what I need.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post

I got a velcro-edged piece of durable foam fabric intended to wrap around uncomfortable handles as a conference giveaway; you might find one ready-made, but it woud also be easy to fake up your own. Flat and separable handle-wrap would mean, as Badger notes, that you don't give up any packability.

Comment

I totally don't need another bag, but as is the case every so often, I find myself struggling with a desire to minimize and another brilliant bag design!

It's all Tom's fault!!

By the way, is it just me, or does the Daylight Briefcase look like an enlarged Field Journal Notebook?
                      -m

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post
                        I totally don't need another bag, but as is the case every so often, I find myself struggling with a desire to minimize and another brilliant bag design!

It's all Tom's fault!!

By the way, is it just me, or does the Daylight Briefcase look like an enlarged Field Journal Notebook?
                        Nope, you're right: the way the Daylight Briefcase handles attach and the back pocket with curved zipper look exactly like the Field Journal Notebook. But with the larger size that back pocket has some serious depth, and the extra front pockets give you access and organization to a lot of compartments. That zippered back pocket with capacity is one of the differences / possible improvements over the Pilot, at least for this bag. The lighter weight handles work, because this is overall a lighter bag.

moriond

Comment

As some of you have mentioned, maybe adding a removable foam handle of some kind would be good. Put it on when I intend to carry it, then take it off for packing....

I think this will be my next TB purchase!

Comment

what kind of foam handles? share?

Comment

These are the handles I've been using. I like the feel and appearance in black. I attach them with the little tag hidden towards the back.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JL2RPLK?vs=1
                              Last edited by celtical; 11-12-2014, 02:28 PM.

Comment

It might be a little soon to ask about pros and cons of bag duplicates for the DLBC, but here goes. I just started using the dyneema one, and it's terrific. It holds my Cache with 13-inch rMBP, file folders, charger, phone, and I carry an MCB separately as a handbag.

I just feel bad returning the Cordura one as the colors are so rich in Cordura and the texture beautiful. Doesn't roll up as compact, though, and I really don't need two of the bags as I expect this will be in production for some time even if I need to replace the dyneema one down the road, unlikely as that is. I may fashion the cordura one into something else...but I am not an artist or photographer, and have plenty of TB bags already! So I am going to mull it over another week or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X